Let's approve new core developers

12

Let's approve new core developers

Markus Neteler
PSC,

we didn't invite new core developers for a while, I think this should
be done asap.

Again a somewhat sensitive topic, how shall we proceed? I have some
ideas but did not approach those people yet.

Open discussion without names :-)

Markus

--
Markus Neteler, PhD
http://www.mundialis.de - free data with free software

new core developers: past procedures ?

"Peter Löwe"
Hi Markus, hi PSC,

are there already some kind of time-honored requirements against which potential core developer candidates could be gauged, or were gauged in the past ?

best,
Peter

<[hidden email]>

> Gesendet: Dienstag, 13. Juni 2017 um 08:59 Uhr
> Von: "Markus Neteler" <[hidden email]>
> An: GRASS-PSC <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: [GRASS-PSC] Let's approve new core developers
>
> PSC,
>
> we didn't invite new core developers for a while, I think this should
> be done asap.
>
> Again a somewhat sensitive topic, how shall we proceed? I have some
> ideas but did not approach those people yet.
>
> Open discussion without names :-)
>
> Markus
>

> --
> Markus Neteler, PhD
> http://www.mundialis.de - free data with free software
> http://grass.osgeo.org
> http://courses.neteler.org/blog

Re: Let's approve new core developers

Markus Neteler
HI PSC,

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> PSC,
>
> we didn't invite new core developers for a while, I think this should
> be done asap.
>
> Again a somewhat sensitive topic, how shall we proceed? I have some
> ideas but did not approach those people yet.
>
> Open discussion without names :-)

ok.. given the "wild" discussion, perhaps a different procedure is desired?
Like:
- propose and go for voting? Note that according to RFC1 [1] + the
HwoToContribute [2] we need to vote for a new core developer;
- migrate to git and no more need to use this procedure?
- your idea here.

Best,
Markus

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/RFC/1_ProjectSteeringCommitteeGuidelines
[2] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/HowToContribute#WriteaccesstotheMainGRASS-SVNrepository

PS: I added this topic to
       https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/PSC/Agenda

Re: new core developers: past procedures ?

Markus Neteler
On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 10:45 AM, "Peter Löwe" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Markus, hi PSC,
>
> are there already some kind of time-honored requirements against which potential core developer candidates could be gauged, or were gauged in the past ?

Hi Peter,

well, based on merit^2, overall agreement and gut feeling. No
hardcoded procedure though (IMHO that's not even possible).

I briefly checked what the GDAL and the QGIS project do here but could
not find any procedure there, too. Maybe others have more insights.

Cheers,
Markus

Re: Let's approve new core developers

Moritz Lennert
On 15/06/17 10:54, Markus Neteler wrote:

> HI PSC,
>
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> PSC,
>>
>> we didn't invite new core developers for a while, I think this should
>> be done asap.
>>
>> Again a somewhat sensitive topic, how shall we proceed? I have some
>> ideas but did not approach those people yet.
>>
>> Open discussion without names :-)
>
> ok.. given the "wild" discussion, perhaps a different procedure is desired?

I don't really think so. I think we should make this much more concrete.
Does anyone have someone they want to propose as core developer ?
Personally, I think that this should just happen naturally, with
possibly a more proactive call (like yours) once in a while.

Do you have anyone specific in mind ? Who are the people who have
contributed much in the form of addons ?

I think that anyone who has a candidate should just propose to the PSC, or ?

> Like:
> - propose and go for voting? Note that according to RFC1 [1] + the
> HwoToContribute [2] we need to vote for a new core developer;
> - migrate to git and no more need to use this procedure?

That will probably still take some time, so I think that if there are
candidates we should invite them now.

But as you say, git might help incite more people to "just" contribute...

Moritz

Re: Let's approve new core developers

Markus Neteler
On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Moritz Lennert
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does anyone have someone they want to propose as core developer ?

Yes: I would like to propose Veronica Andreo
(https://veroandreo.wordpress.com ;
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Veronica_Andreo2).

For a long time, she is continuously contributing to GRASS GIS, a
great (T)GRASS power user and likely to contribute a better
documentation and more.
Granting core write access to her would enables her to collect
contribution related "credits" directly rather than through indirect
"on behalf of someone" commit messages.
I am sure that she'd be careful when committing and, thanks to the
revision system things are peer reviewed (via
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-commit/) and adjustable
anyway.

Markus

--
Markus Neteler, PhD
http://www.mundialis.de - free data with free software
http://grass.osgeo.org
http://courses.neteler.org/blog

Re: Let's approve new core developers

Martin Landa

> Yes: I would like to propose Veronica Andreo
> (https://veroandreo.wordpress.com ;
> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Veronica_Andreo2).

+1 Martin

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa

Le 16 juin 2017 08:41:59 GMT+02:00, Martin Landa <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>Hi,

>> Yes: I would like to propose Veronica Andreo
>> (https://veroandreo.wordpress.com ;
>> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Veronica_Andreo2).
>
>+1 Martin

+1

Moritz

Re: Let's approve new core developers

margherita

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 at 11:28, Moritz Lennert <[hidden email]> wrote:

Le 16 juin 2017 08:41:59 GMT+02:00, Martin Landa <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>Hi,

>> Yes: I would like to propose Veronica Andreo
>> (https://veroandreo.wordpress.com ;
>> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Veronica_Andreo2).
>
>+1 Martin

+1

+1

madi

Moritz

Re: Let's approve new core developers

Anna Petrášová

On Jun 16, 2017 7:20 AM, "Margherita Di Leo" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 at 11:28, Moritz Lennert <[hidden email]> wrote:

Le 16 juin 2017 08:41:59 GMT+02:00, Martin Landa <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>Hi,

>> Yes: I would like to propose Veronica Andreo
>> (https://veroandreo.wordpress.com ;
>> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Veronica_Andreo2).
>
>+1 Martin

+1

+1

madi

+1

Anna

Moritz

Re: Let's approve new core developers

Helena Mitasova-7

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 1:27 PM, Anna Petrášová <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 16, 2017 7:20 AM, "Margherita Di Leo" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 at 11:28, Moritz Lennert <[hidden email]> wrote:

Le 16 juin 2017 08:41:59 GMT+02:00, Martin Landa <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>Hi,

>> Yes: I would like to propose Veronica Andreo
>> (https://veroandreo.wordpress.com ;
>> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Veronica_Andreo2).
>
>+1 Martin

+1

+1

madi

+1

Anna

+1

Helena

Moritz

Helena Mitasova
Professor
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
North Carolina State University
1125 Jordan Hall
NCSU Box 8208
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208

ph: 919-513-1327 (no voicemail)
fax 919 515-7802

Re: Let's approve new core developers

Helmut Kudrnovsky
Markus Neteler wrote
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does anyone have someone they want to propose as core developer ?

Yes: I would like to propose Veronica Andreo
(https://veroandreo.wordpress.com ;
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Veronica_Andreo2).

For a long time, she is continuously contributing to GRASS GIS, a
great (T)GRASS power user and likely to contribute a better
documentation and more.
Granting core write access to her would enables her to collect
contribution related "credits" directly rather than through indirect
"on behalf of someone" commit messages.
I am sure that she'd be careful when committing and, thanks to the
revision system things are peer reviewed (via
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-commit/) and adjustable
anyway.
no PSC member, but I support Markus' proposal.
best regards
Helmut

Re: Let's approve new core developers

"Peter Löwe"
>> Yes: I would like to propose Veronica Andreo
>> (https://veroandreo.wordpress.com ;
>> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Veronica_Andreo2).

+1
Peter

Re: Let's approve new core developers

wenzeslaus

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does anyone have someone they want to propose as core developer ?

Yes: I would like to propose Veronica Andreo
(https://veroandreo.wordpress.com ;
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Veronica_Andreo2).

+1

Re: Let's approve new core developers

Michael Barton
+1

Expanding the developer capacity is a great idea.
____________________
C. Michael Barton
Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
Head, Graduate Faculty in Complex Adaptive Systems Science
Arizona State University

voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
fax: 480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lists.osgeo.org_mailman_listinfo_grass-2Dpsc&d=DwIGaQ&c=AGbYxfJbXK67KfXyGqyv2Ejiz41FqQuZFk4A-1IxfAU&r=vxOW6PLS28MPea_dWUwPfRf71TAIziRDuFqWJimQN1I&m=R0ZhclMBO7kwR7ILR5TnRvTRev9YT5TqMOz24a0IdpY&s=P8OW4225bDRzpZKd75yTF44-l4C5Mk0MCVBWLRO0Vdg&e=

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 8:38 AM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Moritz Lennert
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Does anyone have someone they want to propose as core developer ?
>
> Yes: I would like to propose Veronica Andreo
> (https://veroandreo.wordpress.com ;
> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Veronica_Andreo2).
>
> For a long time, she is continuously contributing to GRASS GIS, a
> great (T)GRASS power user and likely to contribute a better
> documentation and more.
> Granting core write access to her would enables her to collect
> contribution related "credits" directly rather than through indirect
> "on behalf of someone" commit messages.
> I am sure that she'd be careful when committing and, thanks to the
> revision system things are peer reviewed (via
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-commit/) and adjustable
> anyway.

Since yet missing, I vote myself with a +1.

Result:

* Anna Petrasova +1
* Helena Mitasova +1
* Margherita Di Leo +1
* Markus Neteler +1
* Martin Landa +1
* Michael Barton  +1
* Moritz Lennert +1
* Peter Löwe +1
* Vaclav Petras +1

I hereby declare the motion as passed.

@Vero: I'll activate your account in SVN for GRASS GIS core.

Best,
Markus

--
Markus Neteler
GRASS GIS PSC Chair

On 21/06/17 14:58, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 8:38 AM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Moritz Lennert
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Does anyone have someone they want to propose as core developer ?
>>
>> Yes: I would like to propose Veronica Andreo
>> (https://veroandreo.wordpress.com ;
>> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Veronica_Andreo2).
>>
>> For a long time, she is continuously contributing to GRASS GIS, a
>> great (T)GRASS power user and likely to contribute a better
>> documentation and more.
>> Granting core write access to her would enables her to collect
>> contribution related "credits" directly rather than through indirect
>> "on behalf of someone" commit messages.
>> I am sure that she'd be careful when committing and, thanks to the
>> revision system things are peer reviewed (via
>> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-commit/) and adjustable
>> anyway.
>
> Since yet missing, I vote myself with a +1.
>
> Result:
>
> * Anna Petrasova +1
> * Helena Mitasova +1
> * Margherita Di Leo +1
> * Markus Neteler +1
> * Martin Landa +1
> * Michael Barton  +1
> * Moritz Lennert +1
> * Peter Löwe +1
> * Vaclav Petras +1
>
> I hereby declare the motion as passed.
>
> @Vero: I'll activate your account in SVN for GRASS GIS core.

"Welcome" Vero !!! :-)

I have one question concerning procedure: I don't think it mattered for
this vote, but in general wouldn't it be more appropriate use some form
of "secret" ballots for votes concerning persons ?

Moritz

Re: Let's approve new core developers

Markus Neteler
On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 3:37 PM, Moritz Lennert
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have one question concerning procedure: I don't think it mattered for this
> vote, but in general wouldn't it be more appropriate use some form of
> "secret" ballots for votes concerning persons ?

IMHO yes. A system for this would be best rather than handling it by email.

Markus

Re: Let's approve new core developers

Veronica Andreo
Hello all,

I already thanked Markus off-list when he proposed my name, but now I
make it extensive to all of you and the rest of the GRASS GIS
family... That's what GRASS is for me, a family, that's what caught me
at first and what kept me (bothering) around, afterwards :)

Thanks a lot for your trust, I feel honored

GRASS-ias!
Vero

> On 21/06/17 14:58, Markus Neteler wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 8:38 AM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Yes: I would like to propose Veronica Andreo
>>> (https://veroandreo.wordpress.com ;
>>> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Veronica_Andreo2).
>>>
>>> For a long time, she is continuously contributing to GRASS GIS, a
>>> great (T)GRASS power user and likely to contribute a better
>>> documentation and more.
>>> Granting core write access to her would enables her to collect
>>> contribution related "credits" directly rather than through indirect
>>> "on behalf of someone" commit messages.
>>> I am sure that she'd be careful when committing and, thanks to the
>>> revision system things are peer reviewed (via
>>> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-commit/) and adjustable
>>> anyway.
>>

>> Since yet missing, I vote myself with a +1.
>>
>> Result:
>>
>> * Anna Petrasova +1
>> * Helena Mitasova +1
>> * Margherita Di Leo +1
>> * Markus Neteler +1
>> * Martin Landa +1
>> * Michael Barton  +1
>> * Moritz Lennert +1
>> * Peter Löwe +1
>> * Vaclav Petras +1
>>
>> I hereby declare the motion as passed.
>>
>> @Vero: I'll activate your account in SVN for GRASS GIS core.
>

> "Welcome" Vero !!! :-)
>
> I have one question concerning procedure: I don't think it mattered for this
> vote, but in general wouldn't it be more appropriate use some form of
> "secret" ballots for votes concerning persons ?
>
> Moritz

Re: Let's approve new core developers

Markus Neteler
PSC,

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> PSC,
>
> we didn't invite new core developers for a while, I think this should
> be done asap.
>
> Again a somewhat sensitive topic, how shall we proceed? I have some
> ideas but did not approach those people yet.
>
> Open discussion without names :-)

Time for a new round!
We have great Addon developers, power users and more.

Let's get more people directly involved, i.e. grant write access to trunk.

Opinions?

thanks,
Markus
12