Legend problem in MapServer 5.0

Frode Wiseth Jørgensen
Hey!

I have just upgraded to MapServer 5.0, and there seems to be a little problem.

When I use MAXSCALE and MINSCALE on a layer, the class won’t show up in legend.
Using the same mapfile on a previous version of MapServer,  the class shows up in legend.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Frode

Re: Legend problem in MapServer 5.0

Steve Lime
If you try changing to the new keywords MINSCALEDENOM and MAXSCALEDENOM
does the
problem persist? (the old keywords should work)

Also, are we talking the CGI, MapScript (if so, which flavor?) or ????

Steve

>>> On 9/19/2007 at 1:11 PM, in message
<[hidden email]>, Frode
Wiseth Jørgensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey!
>
> I have just upgraded to MapServer 5.0, and there seems to be a
little
> problem.
>
> When I use MAXSCALE and MINSCALE on a layer, the class won’t show
up in
> legend.
> Using the same mapfile on a previous version of MapServer,  the class
shows

> up in legend.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Regards,
> Frode

Re: Legend problem in MapServer 5.0

Frode Wiseth Jørgensen
Hey,

I've tested with MAXSCALE/MINSCALE and MINSCALEDENOM/MAXSCALEDENOM in
- PHP MapScript
- CGI
- CSHARP
but there is still no legend.

Have also tested using MAXSCALE/MINSCALE and MINSCALEDENOM/MAXSCALEDENOM on both LAYER and CLASS -> no legend.

However..connection to the layer through WMS gives me legend (LegendGraphic).

Any ideas??

Steve Lime wrote

<12783108.post@talk.nabble.com>, Frode
Wiseth Jørgensen <frodewj@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
> Hey!
>
> I have just upgraded to MapServer 5.0, and there seems to be a
little
> problem.
>
> When I use MAXSCALE and MINSCALE on a layer, the class won’t show
up in
> legend.
> Using the same mapfile on a previous version of MapServer,  the class
shows
> up in legend.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Regards,
> Frode

Re: Legend problem in MapServer 5.0

John Cole X
I have the same issue:  using a MS4 mapfile, cgi mapserver on windows (ms4w 2.2.6), with and without AGG, I'm getting a little black box for the legend.  Same map file on 4.10 and the legend works.

I've tried the DENOM additions and it doesn't appear to effect it.

MS4

MS5

I've attempted to attach images (I'm using nabble).  So hopefully you can see what I'm getting.

Thanks,

John

Steve Lime wrote
If you try changing to the new keywords MINSCALEDENOM and MAXSCALEDENOM
does the
problem persist? (the old keywords should work)

Also, are we talking the CGI, MapScript (if so, which flavor?) or ????

Steve

>>> On 9/19/2007 at 1:11 PM, in message
<12783108.post@talk.nabble.com>, Frode
Wiseth Jørgensen <frodewj@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
> Hey!
>
> I have just upgraded to MapServer 5.0, and there seems to be a
little
> problem.
>
> When I use MAXSCALE and MINSCALE on a layer, the class won’t show
up in
> legend.
> Using the same mapfile on a previous version of MapServer,  the class
shows
> up in legend.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Regards,
> Frode

Re: Legend problem in MapServer 5.0

John Cole X
My WMS getLegendGraphic calls are not working however.

MS4:

MS5:

This seems like a big issue to me :-)  Was there a change in the LEGEND that needs to be made for MS5?

Thanks,

John

Frode Wiseth Jørgensen wrote
Hey,

I've tested with MAXSCALE/MINSCALE and MINSCALEDENOM/MAXSCALEDENOM in
- PHP MapScript
- CGI
- CSHARP
but there is still no legend.

Have also tested using MAXSCALE/MINSCALE and MINSCALEDENOM/MAXSCALEDENOM on both LAYER and CLASS -> no legend.

However..connection to the layer through WMS gives me legend (LegendGraphic).

Any ideas??

Steve Lime wrote
If you try changing to the new keywords MINSCALEDENOM and MAXSCALEDENOM
does the
problem persist? (the old keywords should work)

Also, are we talking the CGI, MapScript (if so, which flavor?) or ????

Steve

>>> On 9/19/2007 at 1:11 PM, in message
<12783108.post@talk.nabble.com>, Frode
Wiseth Jørgensen <frodewj@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
> Hey!
>
> I have just upgraded to MapServer 5.0, and there seems to be a
little
> problem.
>
> When I use MAXSCALE and MINSCALE on a layer, the class won’t show
up in
> legend.
> Using the same mapfile on a previous version of MapServer,  the class
shows
> up in legend.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Regards,
> Frode

Re: Legend problem in MapServer 5.0

Frode Wiseth Jørgensen
Hey,

Further testing show's that the problem only occurs when using MAXSCALE or MAXSCALEDENOM

Anyone else with this kind of problem?

Any ideas?

Regards
Frode

Frode Wiseth Jørgensen
+47 99 03 41 42

Re: Legend problem in MapServer 5.0

Frode Wiseth Jørgensen
Hey,

Thanks for response.

We have tested using a very high MAXSCALE/MAXSCALEDENOM which should give use a legend, but the legend  still won't show up.

These mapfiles works perfectly well in previous version of Mapserver.

Any ideas/anyone with the same experience ?

Regards,
Frode

On 25/09/2007, Bart van den Eijnden <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think this is by design, see:

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/1524" target="_blank"> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/1524

Best regards,
Bart

On 9/19/07, Frode Wiseth Jørgensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey!

I have just upgraded to MapServer 5.0, and there seems to be a little
problem.

When I use MAXSCALE and MINSCALE on a layer, the class won't show up in
legend.
Using the same mapfile on a previous version of MapServer,  the class shows
up in legend.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Frode

--
View this message in context: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.nabble.com/Legend-problem-in-MapServer-5.0-tf4482729.html#a12783108" target="_blank">http://www.nabble.com/Legend-problem-in-MapServer-5.0-tf4482729.html#a12783108

Frode Wiseth Jørgensen
+47 99 03 41 42

Re: Legend problem in MapServer 5.0

tbonfort
could all of you having these problems summarize , for each specific
case if necessary (i.e. html legends or wms getlegendgraphics), if the
problem is specific to agg rendering or also occurs using gd.

there's also http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/2284 on this, so
it is a known issue that legending is buggy if using agg

cheers,
tb

Re: Legend problem in MapServer 5.0

John Cole X
I have observed that legends do not work with existing mapfiles;  all of which have MIN/MAX SCALES set.  It is broken using mode=browse, mode=legend and GetLegendGraphics.  Little black boxes are returned for both GD and AGG renderer's.  The same map, with the same extents has a working legend using MS4.

See:

MS4: (working legend)

http://pmap1.hud.uai.com/cgi-bin4/mapserv.exe?map=/mapserver/gdt/main4.map&BBOX=-86.778940,34.651680,-86.718060,34.697320&mapxy=-86.7485%2034.6745&scale=24000.000000&layers=bound+hydro+landmark+roads+base_anno+hydro_anno+roads_anno+landmark_point+city&mode=browse

MS5: (broken legend)

http://pmap1.hud.uai.com/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/mapserver/gdt/main4.map&BBOX=-86.778940,34.651680,-86.718060,34.697320&mapxy=-86.7485%2034.6745&scale=24000.000000&layers=bound+hydro+landmark+roads+base_anno+hydro_anno+roads_anno+landmark_point+city&mode=browse

I do not have any mapfiles without MIN/MAX scales ready to test at the moment.

John

tbonfort wrote

cheers,
tb

Re: Legend problem in MapServer 5.0

Frode Wiseth Jørgensen
Hey

Thanks for responding

When using MAXSCALE or MAXSCALEDENOM on a LAYER or CLASS, the specific LAYER/CLASS won't show up in legend.

We have tested using:
- Both  MAXSCALE and MAXSCALEDENOM
- Using a very high MAXSCALE/MAXSCALEDENOM
- PHP Mapscript
- CGI
- CSHARP
- Connection/using the specific LAYER through WMS gives us legend (LegendGraphic)
- Using the same mapfile in previous versions of Mapserver -> the legend shows up

Thanks,
Frode

Frode Wiseth Jørgensen
+47 99 03 41 42

Re: Legend problem in MapServer 5.0

tbonfort
thanks all for feedback.
there's a typo bug in the legend rendering. will fix this in trunk
soon and should be incorporated in 5.0.1

tb

Re: Legend problem in MapServer 5.0

John Cole X

tbonfort wrote
thanks all for feedback.
there's a typo bug in the legend rendering. will fix this in trunk
soon and should be incorporated in 5.0.1

tb
Any word on when a 5.0.1 will be issued with this fix in it?  It's a pain to have to load both MS5 and MS4 just to get legend support.

Thanks,

John

Re: Legend problem in MapServer 5.0

tbonfort
John, you can either wait for 5.0.1 or just pick the modified
maplegend.c and replace it in your build directory.
the file is here:
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/browser/branches/branch-5-0/mapserver/maplegend.c?format=raw

thomas

On 11/1/07, John Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> tbonfort wrote:
> >
> > thanks all for feedback.
> > there's a typo bug in the legend rendering. will fix this in trunk
> > soon and should be incorporated in 5.0.1
> >
> > tb
> >

> Any word on when a 5.0.1 will be issued with this fix in it?  It's a pain to
> have to load both MS5 and MS4 just to get legend support.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Re: Legend problem in MapServer 5.0

John Cole X
Thomas,
  Thanks, but I'm using the MS4W release, and I've tried to compile it before :-) (with lots of help from Frank, Tamas and Howard).  Even if I absolutely needed it now, that doesn't solve the issue for other users.

  I'm curious about the 5.0.1 release date, since it's been over a month now since the release, with what I would consider a fairly major bug (legends) that was fixed in code already.  For anyone who uses legends with their maps, this issue is a major roadblock to adopting MS5, and I'm wondering if the consensus of the MS guru's agree with my opinion or not :-)

Thanks,

John

tbonfort wrote

On 11/1/07, John Cole <john.cole@uai.com> wrote:
> tbonfort wrote:
> >
> > thanks all for feedback.
> > there's a typo bug in the legend rendering. will fix this in trunk
> > soon and should be incorporated in 5.0.1
> >
> > tb
> >

> Any word on when a 5.0.1 will be issued with this fix in it?  It's a pain to
> have to load both MS5 and MS4 just to get legend support.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Re: Legend problem in MapServer 5.0

Daniel Morissette
John Cole wrote:

>   I'm curious about the 5.0.1 release date, since it's been over a month now
> since the release, with what I would consider a fairly major bug (legends)
> that was fixed in code already.  For anyone who uses legends with their
> maps, this issue is a major roadblock to adopting MS5, and I'm wondering if
> the consensus of the MS guru's agree with my opinion or not :-)

I agree that we're due for a 5.0.1.

One big issue that needs to be resolved before we can release 5.0.1 is
the requirement for the STYLE= parameter in WMS GetMap request that has
been enforced (as required by the spec) in MapServer 5.0.0 but that
prevents clients such as Google Earth from connecting to MapServer 5.0.0
WMS servers.

There is a RFC in the making to resolve this:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-35

I'll reopen the discussion on this today and we should have a 5.0.1
release soon.

Daniel
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: Legend problem in MapServer 5.0

Frank Warmerdam
Daniel Morissette wrote:
> One big issue that needs to be resolved before we can release 5.0.1 is
> the requirement for the STYLE= parameter in WMS GetMap request that has
> been enforced (as required by the spec) in MapServer 5.0.0 but that
> prevents clients such as Google Earth from connecting to MapServer 5.0.0
> WMS servers.
>
> There is a RFC in the making to resolve this:
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-35

Daniel,

I have reviewed your updates, and I've made one more small change, removing
the "quick and dirty" part.  Permissive mode should be seen as a mechanism to
get the widest possible interoperability with clients (even slightly broken
clients), rather than as a quick and dirty approach.

The other 5.0.1 issue that I think is critical is:

That is, to make sure we don't release 5.0.1 with a non-portable mapparser.c
by accident.  It seems that most of the other pending 5.0.1 milestone bugs
could be easily put off to 5.0.2 in the interest of getting 5.0.1 out the
door within a week or two.