Legend Group/Layer Display

Kori Maleski-2

I have found one major difference in how the Legend Layer and Group display
differs from MG 6.5:

I have 2 layers in a group.

I do not wish these layers to be visible in the legend.
I wish these layers to be initially displayed in the map.

I wish the group to be visible in the legend.
I wish the group to be initially displayed in the map.

MG Open
- Displays the Layers in the map
- Does not Display them in the legend
- Does not display the group

MG 6.5
- Displays the Layers in the Map
- Does not Display them in the legend
- Displays the group

This difference in how the Group Display/Visibility works is a large flaw.

We need to be able to group layers that are visible in the map but not the
legend within a group that can be toggled on or off.

Any help or input?

Cheers,

Kori Maleski  BSc.
Senior Technical Consultant

Suite 400 - 534 17 Ave. SW Calgary, AB CANADA T2S 0B1
TEL
403.770.1917

FAX
877.691.9149
 TOL
877.691.9171
www.pat.ca

RE: Legend Group/Layer Display

Andy Morsell
I agree that this would be a flaw.  I currently do this kind of thing in
several MapGuide 6.5 maps as I only want the user to have control over the
entire layer group and often want to hide the layers in the legend below the
group.  I do this often with imagery layers.

Andy Morsell, P.E.
Spatial Integrators, Inc.
http://www.SpatialGIS.com

RE: Legend Group/Layer Display

Alain Lebatard
Hi Kori,

You are right, both the DWF viewer and the AJAX viewer behave the same
way to that respect. A group is automatically hidden when no child is
displayed within that group, effectively preventing to change the
visibility of the group itself.

We have been discussing this topic very recently and decided for now to
leave it the way it is, but I do now agree with you that this is a
fairly serious problem that we should fix.

Alain

RE: Legend Group/Layer Display

Sara Makarenko
Tell us more about this. MG 6.5 had a feature to make a group in the
legend look like a layer when all layers in the group have legend labels
turned off. It showed a single layer wafer (instead of the stacked wafer
icon) and displayed in the legend the first layer visible in the scale
range. So there could have been multiple layers in the group, but it
would show only the first one visible in that range. Are you talking
about this?

Or are you talking about a situation where all layers in a group are
hidden in the legend (but visible in the map) and only the group name
shows up in the legend. So the group name would have a folder icon. And
users would turn on and off the group with one click (which in turn
would turn on and off all the hidden layers). Is this what you're
wanting?

Sara Makarenko

RE: Legend Group/Layer Display

Kori Maleski-2
Hi Sara,

"Or are you talking about a situation where all layers in a group are
hidden in the legend (but visible in the map) and only the group name
shows up in the legend. So the group name would have a folder icon. And
users would turn on and off the group with one click (which in turn
would turn on and off all the hidden layers). Is this what you're
wanting?"

That is exactly what I am wanting.

It is a necessary ability to have when you wish to have combined group of
Raster or Vector layers appear as a single Layer, even though they are a
group.

An example:

I have two Road Label Layers - each referencing a separate SDF.
1st SDF appears 0 - 2500 - referencing detailed road segments (segmented at
every intersection) with Labels.
2nd SDF appears 2500 - 30000 - referencing generalized road segments
(segmented at major intersections) with Labels.

Both are in a group called 'Road Labels'.

Utilizing the two different SDFs allows road labeling to appear less
cluttered and more cartographically pleasing.

I want the group to be initially displayed in the map, and visible in the
legend.

I want the layers to be initially displayed in the map, but not visible in
the legend.

Currently MG Open will hide the Group and display the group and its layers
in the map.

I need to be able to toggle that group - like the ability in MG 6.5.

Cheers,

Kori Maleski  BSc.
Senior Technical Consultant

Suite 400 - 534 17 Ave. SW Calgary, AB CANADA T2S 0B1
TEL
403.770.1917

FAX
877.691.9149
 TOL
877.691.9171
www.pat.ca

RE: Legend Group/Layer Display

Andy Morsell
What I'm seeing is that if all layers under a layer group have "Layer is
visible in the legend" unchecked, then the layer group name does not show up
in the viewer legend.  The layers still draw on the map, however.  The users
just need to be able to see the layer group in the legend and be able to
toggle it on/off.  How it appears to the user is another issue.  Just having
it appear as a group name with no layers (or sub-groups) visible below it
would work for me.  I think it would be hard to display it any other way
since there might be several kinds of layers underneath of it.

Andy

RE: Legend Group/Layer Display

Jason Birch
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

RE: Legend Group/Layer Display

Sara Makarenko
Thank you for your feedback. We'll enter a defect. I propose the simple
fix at this time - the group name will stay visible even when all its
child layers/groups are set to not show in the legend. The group icon
will remain as the folder.

Note that the basic MapGuide behavior of making a layer disappear from
the legend when the layer is not within the scale range will remain the
same. And if all layers beneath a group disappear in this way, the group
will disappear as well.

If you want the MG 6.5 behavior of changing the group icon to resemble a
layer and showing the first layer below, please submit an enhancement
request.

Thanks,
Sara

The current MapGuide 6.5 behaviour of showing the style of the top-most
layer as the group's style is annoying and in many cases misleading to
the user.  In a future release, I would like to see the ability to show
the legend of specific (author-selected) layers within the group as the
group's legend, while hiding other layers.

Jason