Leaflet vs OpenLayers

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Leaflet vs OpenLayers

geekdenz
Hi,

Just food for thought:

I've recently discovered Leaflet, a competitor? to OpenLayers if you can say so for an OS project. Apparently it's "what the cool kids" use instead of OL. Would you agree? My reaction is that OL is much more feature rich and mature than this new kid on the block (not to mention projections...). However, I like the gimmicky CSS3 effects of Leaflet and the fact that it's so tiny. It would be great if OL could borrow some ideas and make it possible to have such small builds for mobile and fast applications. I know, one can compile a specific version etc, but there is still a difference between 200KB and 27KB. I guess 173KB difference is not that huge compared to all the tiles one needs to download.

Does Google's Closure compiler make a difference? I haven't tried that yet.

Discussion and feedback welcome.

Regards,
Tim

Tim-Hinnerk Heuer

Twitter: @geekdenz


_______________________________________________
Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/openlayers-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Leaflet vs OpenLayers

stbrunner
Hi,

I agree with your short analysis with Leaflet

For the css3 effects I don't know what you say, it we takes this example:
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/mapquest.html
actually we we resize the tiles when we zoom in and out,
when we receive the tile we have a fade in effect.

Leaflet has something other ?

For the size of the library you should build OpenLayers, have a look on:
http://docs.openlayers.org/library/deploying.html

Regards
Stéphane



2012/9/19 Tim-Hinnerk Heuer <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> Just food for thought:
>
> I've recently discovered Leaflet, a competitor? to OpenLayers if you can say
> so for an OS project. Apparently it's "what the cool kids" use instead of
> OL. Would you agree? My reaction is that OL is much more feature rich and
> mature than this new kid on the block (not to mention projections...).
> However, I like the gimmicky CSS3 effects of Leaflet and the fact that it's
> so tiny. It would be great if OL could borrow some ideas and make it
> possible to have such small builds for mobile and fast applications. I know,
> one can compile a specific version etc, but there is still a difference
> between 200KB and 27KB. I guess 173KB difference is not that huge compared
> to all the tiles one needs to download.
>
> Does Google's Closure compiler make a difference? I haven't tried that yet.
>
> Discussion and feedback welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>
> Tim-Hinnerk Heuer
>
> Twitter: @geekdenz
> Blog: http://www.thheuer.com
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/openlayers-dev
>



--
camptocamp.com
mapfish.org
_______________________________________________
Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/openlayers-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Leaflet vs OpenLayers

Björn Harrtell
Leaflet has smooth animated zoom resizing.

/Björn

2012/9/19 Stéphane Brunner <[hidden email]>
Hi,

I agree with your short analysis with Leaflet

For the css3 effects I don't know what you say, it we takes this example:
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/mapquest.html
actually we we resize the tiles when we zoom in and out,
when we receive the tile we have a fade in effect.

Leaflet has something other ?

For the size of the library you should build OpenLayers, have a look on:
http://docs.openlayers.org/library/deploying.html

Regards
Stéphane



2012/9/19 Tim-Hinnerk Heuer <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> Just food for thought:
>
> I've recently discovered Leaflet, a competitor? to OpenLayers if you can say
> so for an OS project. Apparently it's "what the cool kids" use instead of
> OL. Would you agree? My reaction is that OL is much more feature rich and
> mature than this new kid on the block (not to mention projections...).
> However, I like the gimmicky CSS3 effects of Leaflet and the fact that it's
> so tiny. It would be great if OL could borrow some ideas and make it
> possible to have such small builds for mobile and fast applications. I know,
> one can compile a specific version etc, but there is still a difference
> between 200KB and 27KB. I guess 173KB difference is not that huge compared
> to all the tiles one needs to download.
>
> Does Google's Closure compiler make a difference? I haven't tried that yet.
>
> Discussion and feedback welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>
> Tim-Hinnerk Heuer
>
> Twitter: @geekdenz
> Blog: http://www.thheuer.com
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/openlayers-dev
>



--
camptocamp.com
mapfish.org
_______________________________________________
Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/openlayers-dev


_______________________________________________
Dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/openlayers-dev