Leader lines

Olyster
Hi,

leader lines are needed. It's one of the feature that almost every other map
servers have.

I've already coded a few features (none of which is integrated in Geoserver)
so I have a bit of experience customizing Geoserver.

I'm wondering where I should start looking : the drawing of the leader lines
should be done in which module ?

I think the modification should be close to the labeling engine. In fact, it
should be done after the labels are created.

The only thing needed is the drawing of a line between the features (points
in this case) and the anchor point of their label. I know I'll have to deal
with the position of the label to avoid "striking" through the label's text
etc ...

Meanwhile I'll be looking at the labeling module.

Thanks for your help.

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoServer-User-f3786390.html

Re: Leader lines

geowolf
Hi Olyster,
yep, the changes would go in the GeoTools gt-render module, found in "modules/library/render", and in particular
in the LabelCacheImpl class and nearby classes.
You also need to think about how to configure usage of leader lines, e.g., vendor options

Cheers
Andrea