Layer classification: order by clause?

Frank Broniewski-4
Dear list,

I am trying to make archaeological distribution maps with qgis. I have my site
data stored in a postgis database and can connect to it.
My problem lies in the drawing order of the classified attribute field. For me
it is crucial to have my attribute values (epoches in my case) to be drawn in
the correct order - that is from latest time period to most recent.
But qgis draws the attribute values always in alphabetical order from a to z.
I tried to use a "order by" clause in the sql query builder, but this doesn't
seem to work. I tried also to reorganize the epoch classes in the legend
composer, but this doesn't work also.
So, is there a way to achieve this?  I use qgis 0.9.0 on ubuntu 7.04 installed
by apt-get.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Frank

Re: Layer classification: order by clause?

Tim Sutton
Hi

Did you try making a view that specifies the sort order?

Regards

Tim

2007/11/12, Frank Broniewski <[hidden email]>:

> Dear list,
>
> I am trying to make archaeological distribution maps with qgis. I have my site
> data stored in a postgis database and can connect to it.
> My problem lies in the drawing order of the classified attribute field. For me
> it is crucial to have my attribute values (epoches in my case) to be drawn in
> the correct order - that is from latest time period to most recent.
> But qgis draws the attribute values always in alphabetical order from a to z.
> I tried to use a "order by" clause in the sql query builder, but this doesn't
> seem to work. I tried also to reorganize the epoch classes in the legend
> composer, but this doesn't work also.
> So, is there a way to achieve this?  I use qgis 0.9.0 on ubuntu 7.04 installed
> by apt-get.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!
>
> Frank

Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager
Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
openModeller Desktop Developer
Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological
niche modelling tool