Layer Styling dock: Live-update vs Apply button, do we need both (i mean, the second)?

Layer Styling dock: Live-update vs Apply button, do we need both (i mean, the second)?

DelazJ
Hi,
I've just tested the map styling dock widget on vector layer and it's amazing. Great work, Nathan! It saves time and offers possibilities of styling experimentation.
There are some issues I reported in the bug tracker but there is one related to how the dock should work so I ping the UX community.

Currently, two behaviors are designed:
- whether features are rendered as soon as user changes an option (live-update)
- or user clicks on the Apply button (and thus decide when change must apply).

A undo/redo button helps to revert changes, whatever option of application is selected (live or not), which is great. There's also a History tab that records ALL the changes done to the layer during this project session.

Afaics, eveything goes well when live-update is active.
When using the "Apply" mode in map styling panel, user needs to apply changes before selecting another tab (let's say from Style to Label), for the same layer. This is too much constraint imho.
One can easily forget to click the Apply button (I did!) and select another tab and he looses all his changes.

I think that changes should be kept until user selects another LAYER.
Furthermore, I think that there should not be an "Apply" button, meaning that:
- checking "Live-update" renders the map canvas as soon as user makes any change
- unchecking it records the changes and applies them when he selects another layer (or widget?), thus one rendering calculated instead of one for each changes.
- user still has the History tab and undo/redo buttons if he does not like the last changes.
- Maybe a Cancel button (instead of "Apply") to revert:
  * the changes done since the last time style has been applied
  * or/and the bunch of changes applied during the previous application session?
Not sure for this last option, given the History tab (though its content is not that precise about the changes done).

The idea behind this is to always keep changes done by the user but still offer him options to undo (all the) changes if needed. Things are applied unless he deicdes differently.

Would be nice to have comments on this.

Regards,
Harrissou

Re: Layer Styling dock: Live-update vs Apply button, do we need both (i mean, the second)?

Nathan Woodrow
Hey Harrissou,

Thanks for the feedback. I will look at cleaning up what I can.  Currently the apply before change tabs is there because I remove the widget on page change so there is no longer any state between the widgets, which is good but also bad in this case.   I will have a think about it and get back to you on that.

Regards,
Nathan