Large data set

humanbehaviour
This post was updated on .
Dear all

We have large datasets of points in a database. We need to publish our data via WFS in GeoServer. I would like to know what is considered to be large from a GeoServer point of view. Is there a breakpoint where the amount of rows starts to be too many?
I also want to know how we should optimize our system, should GeoServer be installed on a different machine from the database server? Is there any experience with publishing 20-30 million or more points (database rows) through GeoServer out there? I am trying to run Ms Sql 2008 server and it works fine with a smaller data set. Does anyone have experience with MS Sql or is the recommendation to use PostGres with (or without?) Post Gis?

All comments and help is much welcome.