Lack of Media/Marketing

Alex Mandel-2
It occurred to me looking at the website, there are 0 examples of
outputs shown. I think we need to put a few on the main site and
possibly create a gallery somewhere for others.

Also a suggestion for example datasets, embed an example output in the
main Readme at the top level so people can see what the results might
look like. Yes it can be a resampled for web version, the plain text of
the site doesn't really convey what the software can do.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Lack of Media/Marketing

Stephen Mather-2
Good points Alex,

Yes, this all should be done.

Dakota, what's our best looking dataset?

Cheers,
Best,
Steve

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 7:58 PM, Alex M <[hidden email]> wrote:
It occurred to me looking at the website, there are 0 examples of
outputs shown. I think we need to put a few on the main site and
possibly create a gallery somewhere for others.

Also a suggestion for example datasets, embed an example output in the
main Readme at the top level so people can see what the results might
look like. Yes it can be a resampled for web version, the plain text of
the site doesn't really convey what the software can do.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Lack of Media/Marketing

Alex Mandel-2
I would put anything that looks decent, even if in progress. We want to
highlight what it currently does as well as what we want it to be able
to do. Right now if you don't actually run the code it just looks like
vaporware (though we know it isn't). So yes, a shot of a point cloud
sure, but also a shot of photos draped on the point cloud, even if it
isn't flattened to an orthophoto yet.

Long term, a semi official gallery somewhere for others to post examples
outputs would be great. Kinda of like QGIS' map gallery.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/qgis/

Thanks,
Alex

On 03/21/2016 05:48 AM, Dakota Benjamin wrote:

> Probably Toledo and Seneca. At this point I think it would be better displaying the dense-ish point cloud, then once OpenMVS is implemented we should have much better textured models and orthos to show off.
>
> [http://sig.cmparks.net/cmp-ms-90x122.png]Dakota Benjamin
> Geospatial Developer
> clevelandmetroparks.com<http://www.clemetparks.com/>
>

> <http://www.clemetparks.com/>
>
> <http://www.clemetparks.com/>"It is not down in any map; true places never are."
>
>       Herman Melville
>

> ________________________________

Re: Lack of Media/Marketing

Dakota Benjamin
Alright, I've updated the readme in the dev branch: https://github.com/OpenDroneMap/OpenDroneMap/tree/dev

 Dakota Benjamin
Geospatial Developer
clevelandmetroparks.com

"It is not down in any map; true places never are."
      Herman Melville

I would put anything that looks decent, even if in progress. We want to
highlight what it currently does as well as what we want it to be able
to do. Right now if you don't actually run the code it just looks like
vaporware (though we know it isn't). So yes, a shot of a point cloud
sure, but also a shot of photos draped on the point cloud, even if it
isn't flattened to an orthophoto yet.

Long term, a semi official gallery somewhere for others to post examples
outputs would be great. Kinda of like QGIS' map gallery.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/qgis/

Thanks,
Alex

On 03/21/2016 05:48 AM, Dakota Benjamin wrote:

> Probably Toledo and Seneca. At this point I think it would be better displaying the dense-ish point cloud, then once OpenMVS is implemented we should have much better textured models and orthos to show off.
>
> [http://sig.cmparks.net/cmp-ms-90x122.png]Dakota Benjamin
> Geospatial Developer
> clevelandmetroparks.com<http://www.clemetparks.com/>
>

> <http://www.clemetparks.com/>
>
> <http://www.clemetparks.com/>"It is not down in any map; true places never are."
>
>       Herman Melville

Re: Lack of Media/Marketing

Alex Mandel-2
Looks good, maybe if I get chance this weekend I'll work some of those
images into a pull request for the main site landing page. Unless of
course someone beats me to it.

Thanks,
Alex