Labels for toolbar handles and panels in mainwindow? 2.10?

Labels for toolbar handles and panels in mainwindow? 2.10?

Richard Duivenvoorde
Hi Uxers (maybe cross posting to dev),

I'm busy doing some test with QGIS configuration.

As part of that I also want to get rid of some 'expert'-toolbars and panels.

BUT for some toolbars and panels it is not clear what all the items in
the dropdowns are:

https://imgur.com/xhJ14PE

Some items are not even in that list so cannot be hidden (eg the python
console button you see above). As you can see there there are also some
empty toolbars there, and a lot of toolbars and panels which to be
honest I do not know which one is which.
So just by guessing or trying you can hide/show the toolbar or panels.
So I was wondering if those toolbars had tooltips (on their handles).
But it appears the don't have, but it is possible.

It appears it it pretty easy, I was able by adding toolTip's in
qgisapp.ui
So Question: what about giving both the tooltip AND the 'window'-title
whihc shows up in the rightclick menu a more descriptive name:

Like: here you see 'digitizing toolbar' as tooltip for that toolbar

https://imgur.com/8i09wFq

And here you see I changed 'Digitizing' to 'Digitizing Toolbar':

http://imgur.com/bsCRxRS

Anybody NOT agreeing with such changes?

For example the upper half of that right-click menu actually are all
'panels' and the bottom part are all 'toolbars'. By adding that to every
item it is more clear what is what, and it it much easier to hide/show
stuff.

I'm happy to do that (even for 2.10 if jef is ok with that).

Comments?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: Labels for toolbar handles and panels in mainwindow? 2.10?

Anita Graser

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:
​​
I'm happy to do that (even for 2.10 if jef is ok with that).

Comments
​?

​Thanks Richard! I think that's a very good idea. I've been having the same troubles guessing which toolbar is which and I don't see any downside to your solution.

Best wishes,
Anita

Re: Labels for toolbar handles and panels in mainwindow? 2.10?

DelazJ

I agree. It's (almost) always like a lottery while trying to close some panels or toolbars. And if you have installed plugins with their own toolbars, that becomes harder and harder.

I take advantage of this topic to report an issue I was planning to report and which is a bit related... Just to say that currently there are two entries in the right click menu named "Advanced Digitizing". For those like me that didn't know that the upper part was for panels and who didn't paid attention to the second one, it's very upsetting to try in vain to show "Advanced digitizing" toolbar.
So, If renaming the "Advanced digitizing" panel can also be done...

On 05-06-15 15:36, Anita Graser wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde
>     I'm happy to do that (even for 2.10 if jef is ok with that).
>
>     Comments?
> ​Thanks Richard! I think that's a very good idea. I've been having the
> same troubles guessing which toolbar is which and I don't see any
> downside to your solution.

Ok, I'll wait for 2.10, because this will generate a whole set of new
strings (and maybe screendumps needed for docs?)>

Question: is it overkill to add 'Toolbar' and 'Panel' everywhere in this
huge list besides in the tooltips?
https://imgur.com/bsCRxRS

We do not have control over all of them anyway, because plugins also add
toolbars sometimes.
But to me it would be much more clear if at least most of the ones in
the upper half would show 'xxxx Panel' and in the bottom half 'xxxx
Toolbar'.

Plan is to have the tooltips to have the same strings as the 'window
title' property, to not generate more different translatable strings....

Agreed?

Regards,

Richard

Re: Labels for toolbar handles and panels in mainwindow? 2.10?

berndv.
Hi Richard,
cool that you take care of this!

I wrote a feature request on this 2 years ago, sadly without any response.
https://hub.qgis.org/issues/8201

Cheers
Bernd

Am 05.06.2015, 15:13 Uhr, schrieb Richard Duivenvoorde
<[hidden email]>:

> Hi Uxers (maybe cross posting to dev),
>
> I'm busy doing some test with QGIS configuration.
>
> As part of that I also want to get rid of some 'expert'-toolbars and
> panels.
>
> BUT for some toolbars and panels it is not clear what all the items in
> the dropdowns are:
>
> https://imgur.com/xhJ14PE
>
> Some items are not even in that list so cannot be hidden (eg the python
> console button you see above). As you can see there there are also some
> empty toolbars there, and a lot of toolbars and panels which to be
> honest I do not know which one is which.
> So just by guessing or trying you can hide/show the toolbar or panels.
> So I was wondering if those toolbars had tooltips (on their handles).
> But it appears the don't have, but it is possible.
>
> It appears it it pretty easy, I was able by adding toolTip's in
> qgisapp.ui
> So Question: what about giving both the tooltip AND the 'window'-title
> whihc shows up in the rightclick menu a more descriptive name:
>
> Like: here you see 'digitizing toolbar' as tooltip for that toolbar
>
> https://imgur.com/8i09wFq
>
> And here you see I changed 'Digitizing' to 'Digitizing Toolbar':
>
> http://imgur.com/bsCRxRS
>
> Anybody NOT agreeing with such changes?
>
> For example the upper half of that right-click menu actually are all
> 'panels' and the bottom part are all 'toolbars'. By adding that to every
> item it is more clear what is what, and it it much easier to hide/show
> stuff.
>
> I'm happy to do that (even for 2.10 if jef is ok with that).
>
> Comments?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

Bernd Vogelgesang
Siedlerstraße 2
91083 Baiersdorf/Igelsdorf
Tel: 09133-825374

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 4:31 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:
Question: is it overkill to add 'Toolbar' and 'Panel' everywhere in this
huge list besides in the tooltips?
https://imgur.com/bsCRxRS

​It's probably fine. At least the distinction is clear then.

Plan is to have the tooltips to have the same strings as the 'window
title' property, to not generate more different translatable strings....
Agreed?

​+1 Sounds good to me.

Thanks and best wishes,
Anita

Re: Labels for toolbar handles and panels in mainwindow? 2.10?

Richard Duivenvoorde
Hi All,

I've created a (partial) Pull Request with some screenies:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/2180

I'm 100% happy with the 'Toolbar' part, but not 100% sure about the
'Panel' part...

As you can see in the screenie, changing the Widget Title does not only
make it appear in the context menu, but only in the 'Widget Title'.

I'm actually ok with that, but maybe others find it too much 'Panel' now?

We can also name it 'Window' or 'Widget'?
We can remove it, and only do the Toolbar-part
There are more Panels I can look into, just have to search for the code
a little more:
 "Spatial Bookmarks"  => "Spatial Bookmarks Panel"
 "Tile scale" => "Tile Scales Panel"
etc etc

comments?

Regards,