Label collision trouble

Bruce Cheney
Hello group.  I am having label collision trouble.  No matter what I  do the labels seem to collide with each other.  I also have labels from more than one layer colliding with each other. Obviously this makes the map very difficult to read.  I have implemented caching and tried every other combination of attributes I can think of.  Here is a label section from a mapfile and a sample label collision.  Any suggestions? Thank you for any help you give.

LAYER # parcels polygon layer begins here

NAME PARCELS

DATA PARCELS

STATUS ON

TYPE POLYGON

LABELCACHE ON

LABELMAXSCALE 650

LABELMINSCALE 1

SYMBOLSCALE 150

TEXT ([OWNER])

LABEL

COLOR 31 31 31

SHADOWCOLOR 218 218 218

SHADOWSIZE 1 1

TYPE TRUETYPE

FONT arial

SIZE 6

ANTIALIAS TRUE

POSITION uC

PARTIALS FALSE

MINDISTANCE 2

MINSIZE 1

MAXSIZE 16

BUFFER 2

FORCE ON

ANGLE 0

END # end of label

END # PARCELS polygon layer ends here

Bruce Cheney

Re: Label collision trouble

Dylan Keon-3
On 11/22/2006 09:50 AM, Bruce Cheney wrote:
> Hello group.  I am having label collision trouble.  No matter what I  do
> the labels seem to collide with each other.  I also have labels from
> more than one layer colliding with each other. Obviously this makes the
> map very difficult to read.  I have implemented caching and tried every
> other combination of attributes I can think of.  Here is a label section
> from a mapfile and a sample label collision.  Any suggestions? Thank you
> for any help you give.

Bruce,

What happens if you remove FORCE ON (should be FORCE TRUE), or change it
to FORCE FALSE?  You might also try POSITION AUTO.  With so many labels
you'll really have to finesse POSITION, FORCE, LABELMINSCALE,
LABELMAXSCALE, PARTIALS, and possibly other parameters just right for
each layer.

--Dylan

Re: Label collision trouble

Bruce Cheney
Thanks for your help Dylan.  That is certainly helping.  I removed
FORCE, dropped my SYMBOLSCALE, and removed PARTIALS.  The collisions are
not happening now (probably because of FORCE being removed).  I would
like PARTIALS to stay on but they are messy - crossing boundaries, etc.
Is there some way to force labels in a polygon to stay in the same
position relative to the center - I don't want them moving around every
time a user pans or zooms in?

Thanks again.

Bruce

On 11/22/2006 09:50 AM, Bruce Cheney wrote:
> Hello group.  I am having label collision trouble.  No matter what I
> do the labels seem to collide with each other.  I also have labels
> from more than one layer colliding with each other. Obviously this
> makes the map very difficult to read.  I have implemented caching and
> tried every other combination of attributes I can think of.  Here is a

> label section from a mapfile and a sample label collision.  Any
> suggestions? Thank you for any help you give.

Bruce,

What happens if you remove FORCE ON (should be FORCE TRUE), or change it
to FORCE FALSE?  You might also try POSITION AUTO.  With so many labels
you'll really have to finesse POSITION, FORCE, LABELMINSCALE,
LABELMAXSCALE, PARTIALS, and possibly other parameters just right for
each layer.

--Dylan

Re: Label collision trouble

Fawcett, David (MNIT)
If your data is pretty static, it might be doing it this way.  You could
create a point shapefile to use as label points.  You would then create
a layer of type ANNOTATION to place your labels.  This is a lot more
work up front, but it guarantees that the labels will be exactly where
you want them.

David.

On 11/22/2006 09:50 AM, Bruce Cheney wrote:
> Hello group.  I am having label collision trouble.  No matter what I
> do the labels seem to collide with each other.  I also have labels
> from more than one layer colliding with each other. Obviously this
> makes the map very difficult to read.  I have implemented caching and
> tried every other combination of attributes I can think of.  Here is a

> label section from a mapfile and a sample label collision.  Any
> suggestions? Thank you for any help you give.

Bruce,

What happens if you remove FORCE ON (should be FORCE TRUE), or change it
to FORCE FALSE?  You might also try POSITION AUTO.  With so many labels
you'll really have to finesse POSITION, FORCE, LABELMINSCALE,
LABELMAXSCALE, PARTIALS, and possibly other parameters just right for
each layer.

--Dylan

Re: Label collision trouble

Bruce Cheney
David,

That was just the solution I needed.  Exact label placement is much more
usable. Thanks.

Bruce