LTR usage survey

Anita Graser
Hi,

Back in 2018, we asked QGIS users how often they use QGIS and how often they upgrade
[0]. Today, we want to find out more about how different user groups and organisations use QGIS and particularly the LTR. You may be aware of ongoing discussions concerning potentially extending the LTR period and other potential steps to further improve user experience.

To better understand the needs of our QGIS community, we therefore invite you to our new LTR usage survey:

Regards,
Anita

Re: LTR usage survey

DelazJ
Hi Anita

Thanks to you and the translators for providing this survey.
At "What is the main reason for not upgrading the main QGIS version earlier?", is there not missing a "Not concerned" or "I upgrade early" for those that do not wait to do the move?
(PS: I did not check whether there are some logics to hide/show questions depending on the previous answers, though)

Regards,
Harrissou

Le 30 mars 2020 00:51:05 GMT+02:00, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi,

Back in 2018, we asked QGIS users how often they use QGIS and how often they upgrade
[0]. Today, we want to find out more about how different user groups and organisations use QGIS and particularly the LTR. You may be aware of ongoing discussions concerning potentially extending the LTR period and other potential steps to further improve user experience.

To better understand the needs of our QGIS community, we therefore invite you to our new LTR usage survey:

Regards,
Anita

Re: LTR usage survey

pcav
Hi Anita,

Il 30/03/20 00:51, Anita Graser ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> Back in 2018, we asked QGIS users how often they use QGIS and how often
> they upgrade
> [0]. Today, we want to find out more about how different user groups and
> organisations use QGIS and particularly the LTR. You may be aware of
> ongoing discussions concerning potentially extending the LTR period and
> other potential steps to further improve user experience.
>
> To better understand the needs of our QGIS community, we therefore
> invite you to our new LTR usage survey:
>
> https://ee.kobotoolbox.org/single/::nKmWHGWv
>
> Regards,
> Anita
>
> [0]
> http://blog.qgis.org/2018/12/03/user-question-of-the-month-dec-18-answers-from-nov/

thanks for this. Is it already in the feed? I cannot see it here.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: LTR usage survey

Anita Graser
Thank you for your feedback, Harrissou.
Good point! I'm also not sure about hiding questions. I guess - in this case - respondents can chose "other" or not provide any answer and we can ignore the answer in the evaluations anyway.
Regards,
Anita

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 9:03 AM Harrissou <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all respondents, we've collected over 1,600 responses to this questionnaire!

Some interesting tidbits:

1) The LTR concept seems to be well accepted: 50% of respondents use 3.10 LTR, 38% use 3.12, and 16% use 3.4 LTR.

2) Most respondents install patch versions but 27% do so less often than every 6 months.

3) Most respondents install .0 releases but 17% wait until .3 or longer

4) 6% of respondents work in organizations with more than >100 users. It will be interesting to look at those responses separately.

5) 7% say that they still need 32bit installers

You can find the raw survey responses here:

We'll publish further analyses in the following days and look forward to any insights you might be able to extract from these results.

Regards,
Anita

Re: LTR usage survey

pcav
Excellent, thanks Anita.

On 11 April 2020 16:22:02 CEST, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Thanks to all respondents, we've collected over 1,600 responses to this questionnaire!

Some interesting tidbits:

1) The LTR concept seems to be well accepted: 50% of respondents use 3.10 LTR, 38% use 3.12, and 16% use 3.4 LTR.

2) Most respondents install patch versions but 27% do so less often than every 6 months.

3) Most respondents install .0 releases but 17% wait until .3 or longer

4) 6% of respondents work in organizations with more than >100 users. It will be interesting to look at those responses separately.

5) 7% say that they still need 32bit installers

You can find the raw survey responses here:

We'll publish further analyses in the following days and look forward to any insights you might be able to extract from these results.

Regards,
Anita

--
Please excuse my brevity.

Re: LTR usage survey

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi Anita,

Thanks for sharing these stats.

I also had a look at the question labeled "In an ideal world, how often would you prefer to have new LTR versions?"

431 out of 1691 (25%) would like to have a longer time span than 1 year for LT versions

If we filter this by organization size, this number increases (as expected) with the size of the organization. In the category 11-100 users, the number increases to 29%, in the category >100 users, it is already at 40% who would like to see a longer life time of the LT version. Probably if we had another category with even larger organizations, that value would go beyond 50% ;-)

It was also good to see that 103 out of 1691 respondents represented an organization with >100 users. I expected a lower number in this category and was quite surprised.

Greetings,

Andreas

Hi,