Key modifiers with selection

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
Hi,

I'd like to make you aware of a discussion on the developer mailing list
about key modifiers (ctrl, alt) when selecting features.

Situation:
On the canvas

 * Alt switches the behavior from "intersection" to "full containment"
of features.
 * Ctrl switches between a simple "select features" to a "toggle feature
selection" inside the area

In the composer

 * Alt will "add selected features to selection" leave already selected
features in this state
 * Ctrl will "remove selcted features from selection" leave already
unselected features in this state

Some context: Gimp has the same behavior as the composer has I think
other software behaves similar. To me this makes much more sense than
the current behavior which is quite difficult to handle.

Question: Does anybody have objections to change this behavior on the
map canvas to be the same as in composer?

Regards

--
Matthias Kuhn
OPENGIS.ch - https://www.opengis.ch

Re: Key modifiers with selection

Anita Graser

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 5:37 PM, Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

​+1 I think the suggested behavior is a good improvement.

Best wishes,
Anita

Re: Key modifiers with selection

Nyall Dawson
On 3 December 2015 at 03:37, Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to make you aware of a discussion on the developer mailing list
> about key modifiers (ctrl, alt) when selecting features.
>
> Situation:
> On the canvas
>
>  * Alt switches the behavior from "intersection" to "full containment"
> of features.
>  * Ctrl switches between a simple "select features" to a "toggle feature
> selection" inside the area
>
> In the composer
>
>  * Alt will "add selected features to selection" leave already selected
> features in this state
>  * Ctrl will "remove selcted features from selection" leave already
> unselected features in this state

Actually, composer is:
- holding shift = add to selection
- holiding ctrl = substract from selection
- holding alt (can be used with shift/ctrl too) = change from
"intersects" to "fully contains" selection mode

But +1 for making canvas follow this same behaviour!

Nyall

Re: Key modifiers with selection

Andreas Neumann-4
Hi all,

I don't think that we need two separate modifier keys for adding and
substracting features. One modifier key is enough. If a feature is
already selected it gets unselected the next time it is hit in
conjunction with the modifier key and vice versa. I propose to use the
Shift modifier for that purpose. We could then use the other modifier (I
propose Ctrl) to change selection modes between "intersects" and "fully
contains".

Every vector graphics editor works like this: Inkscape, LibreOffice,
Illustrator, Corel. They usually use the Shift key for that - not ctrl
and not alt. I think that we should compare QGIS more with vector
editors than with raster editors like Gimp.

Note that the Alt key is not suitable as a modifier key, as it is
reserved to move Windows in the KDE desktop. I hope you won't introduce
Alt key modifiers so QGIS doesn't work properly on KDE anymore.

Thanks for considering this,
Andreas

On 3 December 2015 at 18:36, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I don't think that we need two separate modifier keys for adding and
> substracting features. One modifier key is enough. If a feature is already
> selected it gets unselected the next time it is hit in conjunction with the
> modifier key and vice versa. I propose to use the Shift modifier for that
> purpose. We could then use the other modifier (I propose Ctrl) to change
> selection modes between "intersects" and "fully contains".

-1 to this... it makes it REALLY hard to do complex selections,
because things you've previously selected (and want to keep selected)
keep getting unselected. A (bad) example would be trying to select
points in a "L" shape in a dense layer. If shift always ADDS to the
selection you can easily do two rectangular selects, but if shift
toggles then you'd have to exactly line up where the second rectangle
ends to avoid accidently unselecting points from the first rectangle.

> Every vector graphics editor works like this: Inkscape, LibreOffice,
> Illustrator, Corel. They usually use the Shift key for that - not ctrl and
> not alt. I think that we should compare QGIS more with vector editors than
> with raster editors like Gimp.

Note also that it's NOT how these programs work - they all use shift
to always add to a selection, not toggle the selection. Composer
behavior was modelled off a survey I made of a ton of common
DTP/editing software, and taking the most common selection behaviour
from these.

(Side note: let's not copy how Inkscape does things. The behaviour of
selections in Inkscape is so different to every other editor that it
makes the whole program a constant frustration to use. I can't stand
it that there's no way to make Inkscape use an intersects selection
mode rather than contains. For me, that's enough to push me away from
my usual totally-open-source viewpoint to rely on Illustrator for
vector editing. Rant over.).

Nyall

> Note that the Alt key is not suitable as a modifier key, as it is reserved
> to move Windows in the KDE desktop. I hope you won't introduce Alt key
> modifiers so QGIS doesn't work properly on KDE anymore.
>
> Thanks for considering this,
> Andreas
>

> On 03.12.2015 01:19, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>>
>> On 3 December 2015 at 03:37, Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'd like to make you aware of a discussion on the developer mailing list
>>> about key modifiers (ctrl, alt) when selecting features.
>>>
>>> Situation:
>>> On the canvas
>>>
>>>   * Alt switches the behavior from "intersection" to "full containment"
>>> of features.
>>>   * Ctrl switches between a simple "select features" to a "toggle feature
>>> selection" inside the area
>>>
>>> In the composer
>>>
>>>   * Alt will "add selected features to selection" leave already selected
>>> features in this state
>>>   * Ctrl will "remove selcted features from selection" leave already
>>> unselected features in this state
>>>
>> Actually, composer is:
>> - holding shift = add to selection
>> - holiding ctrl = substract from selection
>> - holding alt (can be used with shift/ctrl too) = change from
>> "intersects" to "fully contains" selection mode
>>
>> But +1 for making canvas follow this same behaviour!
>>

>> Nyall

Re: Key modifiers with selection

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
Hi Andreas

On 12/03/2015 08:36 AM, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I don't think that we need two separate modifier keys for adding and
> substracting features. One modifier key is enough. If a feature is
> already selected it gets unselected the next time it is hit in
> conjunction with the modifier key and vice versa. I propose to use the
> Shift modifier for that purpose. We could then use the other modifier
> (I propose Ctrl) to change selection modes between "intersects" and
> "fully contains".

That seems to apply for clicking single features, it toggles the
selection with shift. For multiple features it's a bit diffent. I tried
inkscape where shift does "add to selection" while I did not find any
"remove from selection". Probably because they reserved the ctrl
modifier for "move".
Can you check with other software?

> Every vector graphics editor works like this: Inkscape, LibreOffice,
> Illustrator, Corel. They usually use the Shift key for that - not ctrl
> and not alt. I think that we should compare QGIS more with vector
> editors than with raster editors like Gimp.
>
> Note that the Alt key is not suitable as a modifier key, as it is
> reserved to move Windows in the KDE desktop. I hope you won't
> introduce Alt key modifiers so QGIS doesn't work properly on KDE anymore.

Would you say that this renders the alt modifier unsuitable as a last
resort if everything else is taken already?
If we have to choose beteween 2 modifiers on every platform or 3
modifiers on every platform but KDE that makes no difference for KDE
while it does make a difference for everything else. And even KDE people
can get the full user experience :)

All the best

> Thanks for considering this,
> Andreas
>

> On 03.12.2015 01:19, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>> On 3 December 2015 at 03:37, Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'd like to make you aware of a discussion on the developer mailing
>>> list
>>> about key modifiers (ctrl, alt) when selecting features.
>>>
>>> Situation:
>>> On the canvas
>>>
>>>   * Alt switches the behavior from "intersection" to "full containment"
>>> of features.
>>>   * Ctrl switches between a simple "select features" to a "toggle
>>> feature
>>> selection" inside the area
>>>
>>> In the composer
>>>
>>>   * Alt will "add selected features to selection" leave already
>>> selected
>>> features in this state
>>>   * Ctrl will "remove selcted features from selection" leave already
>>> unselected features in this state
>>>
>> Actually, composer is:
>> - holding shift = add to selection
>> - holiding ctrl = substract from selection
>> - holding alt (can be used with shift/ctrl too) = change from
>> "intersects" to "fully contains" selection mode
>>
>> But +1 for making canvas follow this same behaviour!
>>

>> Nyall

Matthias Kuhn
OPENGIS.ch - https://www.opengis.ch
Spatial • (Q)GIS • PostGIS • Open Source

Re: Key modifiers with selection

Nathan Woodrow

I agree with Nyalls points.  You need to have both mode so you don't need to worry about unselecting stuff by mistake.

On 3 December 2015 at 19:10, Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andreas
>
> On 12/03/2015 08:36 AM, Andreas Neumann wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I don't think that we need two separate modifier keys for adding and
>> substracting features. One modifier key is enough. If a feature is
>> already selected it gets unselected the next time it is hit in
>> conjunction with the modifier key and vice versa. I propose to use the
>> Shift modifier for that purpose. We could then use the other modifier
>> (I propose Ctrl) to change selection modes between "intersects" and
>> "fully contains".
>
> That seems to apply for clicking single features, it toggles the
> selection with shift.

Ahh, yes, that's correct. Maybe I misinterpreted Andreas' comment and
he was also referring to single feature selection?

> For multiple features it's a bit diffent. I tried
> inkscape where shift does "add to selection" while I did not find any
> "remove from selection". Probably because they reserved the ctrl
> modifier for "move".
> Can you check with other software?

<rant>actually it's because Inkscape's selection behaviour is totally
messed up</rant>

>> Every vector graphics editor works like this: Inkscape, LibreOffice,
>> Illustrator, Corel. They usually use the Shift key for that - not ctrl
>> and not alt. I think that we should compare QGIS more with vector
>> editors than with raster editors like Gimp.
>>
>> Note that the Alt key is not suitable as a modifier key, as it is
>> reserved to move Windows in the KDE desktop. I hope you won't
>> introduce Alt key modifiers so QGIS doesn't work properly on KDE anymore.
>
> Would you say that this renders the alt modifier unsuitable as a last
> resort if everything else is taken already?
> If we have to choose beteween 2 modifiers on every platform or 3
> modifiers on every platform but KDE that makes no difference for KDE
> while it does make a difference for everything else. And even KDE people
> can get the full user experience :)

I'd say using alt as the toggle intersects/contains is acceptable,
since it's very rarely used anyway. Also note that it IS possible to
use an alt modifier if it is depressed AFTER the dragging selection
has already begun. The window-move behaviour is only triggered if alt
is depressed when the mouse button is first pressed down.

Nyall

> All the best
>

>> Thanks for considering this,
>> Andreas

>>> Actually, composer is:
>>> - holding shift = add to selection
>>> - holiding ctrl = substract from selection
>>> - holding alt (can be used with shift/ctrl too) = change from
>>> "intersects" to "fully contains" selection mode
>>>
>>> But +1 for making canvas follow this same behaviour!
>>>

>>> Nyall

> Matthias Kuhn
> OPENGIS.ch - https://www.opengis.ch
> Spatial • (Q)GIS • PostGIS • Open Source

Re: Key modifiers with selection

Andreas Neumann-4
Hi,

I guess you are right, Nyall. You convinced me.

The additional modifier (separate modes for adding/substracting) allows
to reach your (un)-selection goals with less precise mouse actions and
thus a bit faster.

But I do insist that the Shift key should be used to add additional
objects to the selections, and not some other modifiers. The majority of
applications use the Shift key to add to the selection of objects.

It is just frustrating that there are no standards across
applications/operating systems - and not even within the same
application (like in QGIS).

Andreas

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 1:19 AM, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Actually, composer is:
- holding shift = add to selection
- holiding ctrl = substract from selection
- holding alt (can be used with shift/ctrl too) = change from
"intersects" to "fully contains" selection mode

But +1 for making canvas follow this same behaviour!

​+1 (with shift = add)

Thanks for pointing this out Nyall!

Anita​

On 12/03/2015 10:36 AM, Anita Graser wrote:

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 1:19 AM, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Actually, composer is:
- holding shift = add to selection
- holiding ctrl = substract from selection
- holding alt (can be used with shift/ctrl too) = change from
"intersects" to "fully contains" selection mode

But +1 for making canvas follow this same behaviour!

​+1 (with shift = add)
It's actually:

- shift and mouse move (multiple selection): add
- shift and click: toggle

Right?

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 10:59 AM, Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 12/03/2015 10:36 AM, Anita Graser wrote:

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 1:19 AM, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Actually, composer is:
- holding shift = add to selection
- holiding ctrl = substract from selection
- holding alt (can be used with shift/ctrl too) = change from
"intersects" to "fully contains" selection mode

But +1 for making canvas follow this same behaviour!

​+1 (with shift = add)
It's actually:

- shift and mouse move (multiple selection): add
- shift and click: toggle

Right?

​Just wondering what's the current status of the discussion. I tried today's master and shift + mouse move (multiple selection) currently toggles.

Are you still planning to change this to add?

Also: When I hold down shift, the selection only affect features which are completely within the drawn rectangle rather than everything that the rectangle touches as is the case without key modifier.

... quite confusing actually ...

Best wishes,
Anita

On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 4:41 PM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

​Hi,

Where can I find a description of the currently implemented behavior? I've experimented a bit (with 2.14) but I'm more confused than ever ..

Best wishes,
Anita​

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

​Here's the related very old ticket: https://hub.qgis.org/issues/2666

Best wishes,
Anita​