[KRIHS] QuickStart/Manual for UN OSGeo Challenge 2

[KRIHS] QuickStart/Manual for UN OSGeo Challenge 2

HaeKyong Kang

Dear Angelos and all

Regarding to quickstart/manuals of UN OSGeo Challenge 2: GeoAnalysis--it will be prepared by around the end of April 2018 (or earlier). I will send you a link when it will be ready.

If you need hands for documentation of the Challenge 2, three mentors of the Challenge 2(Prof. D.H Cho, Mr. Minpa Lee, HaeKyong Kang) will be pleased to support.

PS. Sorry for my late response because of my business trip

Best regards,

HaeKyong Kang

-----------

Research Fellow

Geospatial Information Researchc Division

Korea Research Institute for Human Settlements

www.krihs.re.kr

T 82 044 960 0405

F 82 044 211 4776

H 82 010 2033 5998

Skype somakang1

Da: Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]>
Data: 29/03/18 22:08 (GMT+01:00)
A: [hidden email], live-demo <[hidden email]>, Angelos Tzotsos <[hidden email]>
Oggetto: Re: [UN] UN OSGeo Challenge

Maria, OSGeo UN Committee, OSGeoLive team,

Great initiative, I'm very supportive.

I'm excited to see OSGeoLive engaged prominently in the criteria. I think that OSGeoLive has the potential to be a great asset to the education community and this is an excellent initiative to fast track this.

Have you been talking with someone from the OSGeoLive team about the practical implementation? (Angelos would be a good start). There are a few things that I think need to be thought through:

* OSGeoLive is currently space constrained to our distribution medium. Typically a 4 Gig or 8 Gig USB. Large teaching datasets could cause us challenges. We have options to address this, but it is something we should consider up front.

* OSGeoLive has remained a healthy project for 8 years in part because we have ensured our cost of maintenance doesn't exceed our volunteer capacity. We need to think through how can maintain any material created, and how we can keep maintenance requirements to a minimum.

Re: evaluation criteria:

Evaluation criteria:

  1. Proposer is an OSGeo Charter Member
* I'd suggest this be changed to "has demonstrable experience within the OSGeo community". One of our best technical contributors to OSGeoLive, who regularly also gave great council, as well as writing very good documentation, was someone who shunned titles and has never signed up to be an OSGeo Charter member. (As I write this, I think he'd be a good candidate for this project - if he could be tempted). There are others like him. They shouldn't be excluded from applying.
On the other hand, there are some OSGeo Charter members who have done little after joining. I believe creating a "honey-pot" will lead to people applying for charter membership for personal benefit instead of altruistic reasons.
  1. Proposer’s age (20 if < 40 years old; 0 if >40 years old)
* I question the purpose of this? If you are trying to increase young people applying, then an age break at 40 doesn't help the struggling end of the age spectrum. (I'd be more inclined to make a break at say 25).
I think you will find older people, will self select themselves out based on their typically higher pay grade.
I'd be inclined to remove this criteria all together.

--
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
OSGeo Charter Member