Jsonix and OGC-Schemas progress and status report

Jsonix and OGC-Schemas progress and status report

Aleksei Valikov
Hi everyone,

here's an update on Jsonix status.

In the last few days I've released Jsonix 2.1.1 and OGC Schemas 2.0.1:

As well as supplimentary Jsonix Schema Compiler 2.3.1 and W3C Schemas 1.0.3:

With the latest release OGC Schemas we've added support for all of the requested schemas including but not limited to:

  • WMS 1.0.0.
  • WCS 1.0.0, 1.1, 2.0.
  • KML 2.2.0.
  • SLD 1.1.0.
  • OWC 0.3.1.
  • CSW 2.0.2.
  • IC 2.0, 2.1.
  • SWE 1.0.1, 2.0.
  • SensorML 1.0.1, 2.0.
  • OM 1.0.0, 2.0.
  • SOS 1.0.0, 2.0.
  • GML 3.2.1.
  • GMLCOV 1.0.
  • SWES 2.0.
  • ISO 19139 20070417.
  • Sampling 2.0.
  • SPS 2.0.
  • WFS 2.0.
  • Filter 2.0.
There's actually many more schemas supported, see the README.md for the full list.
All of the requests for schemas which we've received are served now. Please send more. :)
Please let me know if you need further schemas. Otherwise I'll just add the few remaining schemas from OWSLib and that would be it for the moment.

I've also added an extensive test suite, as far as I can tell it seems that Jsonix works pretty well for OGC schemas. So far there were no big issues, everything could have been solved without much effort. I am now confident that Jsonix will be able to handle XML<->JS conversion for OGC schemas very well.

By the way, my talk "Jsonix: communicate to OGC Web Services in JSON" was accepted for FOSSGIS 2015 so I hope this will give some additional momentum.

Many thanks to Bart van den Eijnden for his contributions. His reports and pull requests were a great help.

In the next releases we'll add more OGC schemas. A few which are still missing from OWSLib and probably some more from the most popular.

We'll also add optimized mappings. Jsonix Schema Compiler has now a "dependencies-of-mapping" feature which may be quite useful. For instance, ISO 19139 mappings are using in many of the second-generation OGC Schemas to describe metadata - but they're huge! This new "dependencies-of-mapping" feature generating optimized mappings which include only those things you really need.

In Jsonix we'll focus on modularization and minification of the JavaScript code. I think there's a good chance to cut down the code size.

Last but not least - Best Wishes and Happy New Year!
I wish you and your families to live long and prosper.

Alexey