Join translation team

Marko Praprotnik
Hi!

I would like to offer Slovenian translations on my Geonetwork instance. I wanted to download the translation files from the Transifex portal, but I can’t since I’m not part of the translation team and I didn’t get any response after clicking the “Join team” button a week ago.

On StackExchange (https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/276904/geonetworks-languages/281852?noredirect=1#comment475338_281852), I got a suggestion to ask for translations access on the users or developers mailing list and this email is me asking to allow me to join the translators team or to share me the existing Slovenian translation files. As stated above, my main interest is to offer the visitors of my geonetwork instance to see the page in Slovenian, however, I can probably also help further translate the missing parts.

Finally, why are GeoNetwork decision makers making it so hard to access translation files for languages not fully translated? On the Transifex project page (https://www.transifex.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/) should be a not that we must ask for access on the mailing list instead of clicking the "Join team” button. I’ve already spent way too much time for this and I still don’t know wether I’ll get those files or not. I would rather spend this time translating the missing parts …

Sorry for my rants :(

Thank you and kind regards,
Marko

Re: Join translation team

Marko Praprotnik
Thanks for adding me to the translators team! I’ve already made some translations :)

However, now I have a problem applying the downloaded translations (Angular UI* ones, marked "for use") to my running GeoNetwork instance (v3.4.3.0). I made the changes as advised in the guide https://geonetwork-opensource.org/manuals/3.4.x/is/contributing/translating.html <https://geonetwork-opensource.org/manuals/3.4.x/is/contributing/translating.html> and adjusted the file paths:
- instead of web-ui/src/main/resources/catalog/locales I added the translations to /var/lib/jetty9/webapps/geonetwork/catalog/locales/
- I’ve renamed the translation files on the upper path to conform with existing file names (to sl-admin.json, sl-core.json, sl-editor.json and sl-search.json)
- instead of web-ui/src/main/resources/catalog/js/CatController.js, I’ve registered the new language in /var/lib/jetty9/webapps/geonetwork/catalog/js/CatController.js

The parts in CatController.js that I’ve modified (I wanted to hide other translations, with the exception of English):

  module.constant('gnLangs', {
    langs: {
        'eng': 'en',
        'slv': 'sl'
    },

$scope.langLabels = {'eng': 'English', 'slv': 'Slovenščina’};

After restarting Jetty, the language selector in my GeoNetwork instance offers “English” and “undefined”. If I choose “undefined”, the URL changes to “slv” language, but all the strings on the page still remain in English.

Not sure what I’m doing wrong ... would anyone care to help me get the Slovenian translations work?

Thanks,
Marko

> On 17 Sep 2018, at 18:22, Marko Praprotnik <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> I would like to offer Slovenian translations on my Geonetwork instance. I wanted to download the translation files from the Transifex portal, but I can’t since I’m not part of the translation team and I didn’t get any response after clicking the “Join team” button a week ago.
>
> On StackExchange (https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/276904/geonetworks-languages/281852?noredirect=1#comment475338_281852 <https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/276904/geonetworks-languages/281852?noredirect=1#comment475338_281852>), I got a suggestion to ask for translations access on the users or developers mailing list and this email is me asking to allow me to join the translators team or to share me the existing Slovenian translation files. As stated above, my main interest is to offer the visitors of my geonetwork instance to see the page in Slovenian, however, I can probably also help further translate the missing parts.
>
> Finally, why are GeoNetwork decision makers making it so hard to access translation files for languages not fully translated? On the Transifex project page (https://www.transifex.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/ <https://www.transifex.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/>) should be a not that we must ask for access on the mailing list instead of clicking the "Join team” button. I’ve already spent way too much time for this and I still don’t know wether I’ll get those files or not. I would rather spend this time translating the missing parts …
>
> Sorry for my rants :(
>
> Thank you and kind regards,
> Marko

Re: Join translation team

Jose Garcia
Hi Marko

In the UI settings currently is possible to configure the list of languages
to display, you can remove the unwanted ones and add new ones.

http://SERVER/geonetwork/srv/eng/admin.console#/settings/ui

For the translation, I think you need to add in XX-core.json files a key
with the iso 3 code

"slv": "Slovenščina"

Regards,
Jose García

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Marko Praprotnik <[hidden email]
> [...]

> mailing list and this email is me asking to allow me to join the
> translators team or to share me the existing Slovenian translation files.
> As stated above, my main interest is to offer the visitors of my geonetwork
> instance to see the page in Slovenian, however, I can probably also help
> further translate the missing parts.
> >
> > Finally, why are GeoNetwork decision makers making it so hard to access
> translation files for languages not fully translated? On the Transifex
> project page (https://www.transifex.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/ <
> https://www.transifex.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/>) should be a not
> that we must ask for access on the mailing list instead of clicking the
> "Join team” button. I’ve already spent way too much time for this and I
> still don’t know wether I’ll get those files or not. I would rather spend
> this time translating the missing parts …

<https://twitter.com/geocat_bv>

Re: Join translation team

Marko Praprotnik
Thank you, Jose, I did as you suggested:
- set the languages in Admin console > Settings > User interface (added slv = sl and removed other languages) .. I’ve already tried this before sending the first request for help
- I renamed the translation files in geonetwork/catalog/locales/sl-*.json to slv-*.json

But, nothing seems to be changed, everything is still in English and the language selector still shows “undefined” instead of Slovenščina. Maybe I already messed up my configuration, will need to retry with a clean instance. Will report back when I finish this.

Thanks again,
Marko

Marko Praprotnik / Research / +386-40-858-424
XLAB d.o.o. / Pot za Brdom 100 / SI - 1000 Ljubljana / Slovenia
tel.+386 1 244 77 50 / [hidden email] / www.xlab.si <https://www.xlab.si/?lang=en>