Jim Westervelt to retire in April: Recognition by PSC / GRASS community ?

12

Jim Westervelt to retire in April: Recognition by PSC / GRASS community ?

"Peter Löwe"
Dear PSC,

I just learned from Bob Lozar (producer of the GRASS video from 1987) that Jim Westervelt has applied to retire. The target is said to be April. What could be an appropriate action by the current GRASS community and the PSC to acknowledge Jims role as originator of the GRASS ?

Best,
Peter

<[hidden email]>

Re: Jim Westervelt to retire in April: Recognition by PSC / GRASS community ?

Moritz Lennert

Le 24 mars 2017 12:40:09 GMT+01:00, "Peter Löwe" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>Dear PSC,
>
>I just learned from Bob Lozar (producer of the GRASS video from 1987)
>that Jim Westervelt has applied to retire. The target is said to be
>April. What could be an appropriate action by the current GRASS
>community and the PSC to acknowledge Jims role as originator of the
>GRASS ?

Brainstorming here:

- honorary member of the grass PSC
- dedicating 7.4 release to him
- all current developers send a picture and we give him a big thank you poster with all those pictures

- add your idea here

Moritz

>Best,
>Peter
>
><[hidden email]>

Re: Jim Westervelt to retire in April: Recognition by PSC / GRASS community ?

jmckenna
Administrator
On 2017-03-24 8:40 AM, "Peter Löwe" wrote:
> Dear PSC,
>
> I just learned from Bob Lozar (producer of the GRASS video from 1987) that Jim Westervelt has applied to retire. The target is said to be April. What could be an appropriate action by the current GRASS community and the PSC to acknowledge Jims role as originator of the GRASS ?
What about proposing Jim for the 2017 Sol Katz Award, he is certainly
deserving.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
President Emeritus, OSGeo Foundation

Re: Jim Westervelt to retire in April: Recognition by PSC / GRASS community ?

Martin Landa

> What about proposing Jim for the 2017 Sol Katz Award, he is certainly
> deserving.

great idea!

+1

Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa

Re: Jim Westervelt to retire in April: Recognition by PSC / GRASS community ?

Luca Delucchi
On 24 March 2017 at 13:51, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-03-24 8:40 AM, "Peter Löwe" wrote:
>>
>> Dear PSC,
>>
>> I just learned from Bob Lozar (producer of the GRASS video from 1987) that
>> Jim Westervelt has applied to retire. The target is said to be April. What
>> could be an appropriate action by the current GRASS community and the PSC to
>> acknowledge Jims role as originator of the GRASS ?
>
> What about proposing Jim for the 2017 Sol Katz Award, he is certainly
> deserving.

+1

--
ciao
Luca

www.lucadelu.org

Re: Jim Westervelt: Sol Katz + X

"Peter Löwe"
+1 for Sol Katz

As a near term action (not too many days left 'til April !) we could also go for Moritz' ideas:
- honorary member of the grass PSC
- dedicating 7.4 release to him
- all current developers send a picture and we give him a big thank you poster with all those pictures

-> maybe put the mug shots of the developers on an actual coffee mug [this could be handed over at the Sol Katz ceremony..?]

Best,
Peter

<[hidden email]>

On 24/03/17 13:51, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> On 2017-03-24 8:40 AM, "Peter Löwe" wrote:
>> Dear PSC,
>>
>> I just learned from Bob Lozar (producer of the GRASS video from 1987) that Jim Westervelt has applied to retire. The target is said to be April. What could be an appropriate action by the current GRASS community and the PSC to acknowledge Jims role as originator of the GRASS ?
> What about proposing Jim for the 2017 Sol Katz Award, he is certainly
> deserving.

+1

Moritz

Re: Jim Westervelt: Sol Katz + X

margherita

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 2:19 PM, "Peter Löwe" <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 for Sol Katz

As a near term action (not too many days left 'til April !) we could also go for Moritz' ideas:
- honorary member of the grass PSC
- dedicating 7.4 release to him
- all current developers send a picture and we give him a big thank you poster with all those pictures

-> maybe put the mug shots of the developers on an actual coffee mug [this could be handed over at the Sol Katz ceremony..?]

I love all these ideas!

--
Margherita Di Leo

Re: Jim Westervelt: Sol Katz + X

Luca Delucchi

--
ciao
Luca

www.lucadelu.org

Jim Westervelt: Sol Katz nominee

"Peter Löwe"

does anyone have contact details for Jims family (wife) ? It would be handy to ensure that "someone" blocks relevant dates in his calendar ahead of time. How is this is usually handled for Sol Katz nominees ?

Cheers,
Peter

Re: Jim Westervelt: Sol Katz nominee

Markus Neteler

On Mar 24, 2017 10:16 AM, Peter Löwe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anyone have contact details for Jims family (wife) ? It would be handy to ensure that "someone" blocks relevant dates in his calendar ahead of time.

Please keep in mind that this is a public list. Let's keep some privacy.

My 0.02,
Markus

On Mar 24, 2017 8:42 AM, "Moritz Lennert" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Le 24 mars 2017 12:40:09 GMT+01:00, "Peter Löwe" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >Dear PSC,
> >
> >I just learned from Bob Lozar (producer of the GRASS video from 1987)
> >that Jim Westervelt has applied to retire. The target is said to be
> >April. What could be an appropriate action by the current GRASS
> >community and the PSC to acknowledge Jims role as originator of the
> >GRASS ?
>

> Brainstorming here:
>
> - honorary member of the grass PSC
> - dedicating 7.4 release to him

For me he deserves the 8.0 release!

Would also motivate us to come to speed with it.

Markus

> - all current developers send a picture and we give him a big thank you poster with all those pictures
>
> - add your idea here
>
> Moritz

Jim Westervelt retirement: May 2017

"Peter Löwe"

FYI: Jim will transition into retirement /free-agent mode in May (not April), so we have some more time to decide on how to proceed.

Best,
Peter

Again: Jim Westervelt retirement: May 2017

"Peter Löwe"
Dear all,

since May is just about to start, I would like to reiterate the question of short term actions for Jim Westervelts upcoming retirement. Can we do a greeting card/flowers, or similar prior to the actions discussed earlier ? Anybody willing to take the lead ?

Best,
Peter

Gesendet: Montag, 27. März 2017 um 10:53 Uhr
Von: "Peter Löwe" <[hidden email]>
An: GRASS-PSC <[hidden email]>
Betreff: [GRASS-PSC] Jim Westervelt retirement: May 2017
Hi all,

FYI: Jim will transition into retirement /free-agent mode in May (not April), so we have some more time to decide on how to proceed.

Best,
Peter
_______________________________________________ grass-psc mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-psc

Re: Again: Jim Westervelt retirement: May 2017

NikosAlexandris

* "Peter Löwe" <[hidden email]> [2017-04-25 16:50:50 +0200]:

>   Dear all,

Dear Peter,

>   since May is just about to start, I would like to reiterate the question
>   of short term actions for Jim Westervelts upcoming retirement. Can we do a
>   greeting card/flowers, or similar prior to the actions discussed earlier ?

Just an idea (by Abel G. originally), a T-shirt with or including the
attached SVG with perhaps the "old" GRASS logo?

Cheers, Nikos

>   Anybody willing to take the lead ?

Not really me, just contributing an idea.

>   Best,
>   Peter

ps- Thank you Jim!

grassgis.svg (21K) Download Attachment
grassgis_inkscape.svg (22K) Download Attachment

Re: Again: Jim Westervelt retirement: May 2017

Anna Petrášová
Hi all,

Vaclav and I are going to be at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign between 15-20th of May, so we could potentially
deliver it in person.  T-shirt with the GRASS ASCII logo would look
great I think, the problem is we would have to order it now and it
might be quite costly, because they usually require minimum number of
T-shirts, and we are not sure about the right size. It would be great
though to have those T-shirts for conferences, so we can look into
some options.
We could also do something smaller, e.g., collect signatures and put
them on a card.

Anna

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Nikos Alexandris
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> * "Peter Löwe" <[hidden email]> [2017-04-25 16:50:50 +0200]:
>
>>   Dear all,
>

> Dear Peter,
>

>>   since May is just about to start, I would like to reiterate the question
>>   of short term actions for Jim Westervelts upcoming retirement. Can we do
>>   greeting card/flowers, or similar prior to the actions discussed earlier
>> ?
>

> Just an idea (by Abel G. originally), a T-shirt with or including the
> attached SVG with perhaps the "old" GRASS logo?
>
> Cheers, Nikos
>

>>   Anybody willing to take the lead ?
>

> Not really me, just contributing an idea.
>
>>      Best,
>>   Peter
>

> ps- Thank you Jim!

Re: Again: Jim Westervelt retirement: May 2017

wenzeslaus

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 10:00 AM, Anna Petrášová <[hidden email]> wrote:

Vaclav and I are going to be at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign between 15-20th of May, so we could potentially
deliver it in person.  T-shirt with the GRASS ASCII logo would look
great I think, the problem is we would have to order it now and it
might be quite costly, because they usually require minimum number of
T-shirts, and we are not sure about the right size. It would be great
though to have those T-shirts for conferences, so we can look into
some options.

The T-shirts are usually around $20, but Allied Shirts have a sale right now. I don't recall seeing T-shirt of this brand, so I can't comment on it. Anyway, with the ASCII design (which has just one color) we get to $101.15 total when ordering 12 of them ($8.43 per T-shirt). For one T-shirt it is $20 (it seems one can order it this way, but I'm not sure) and $15 ea for 4 T-shirts. All T-shirts must be one color (and there is limited selection), but they can be different sizes and for the lower prices per T-shirt still apply. Also all T-shirts must be one type - Budget (friendly) Unisex in this case. The size chart is available [1]. A screenshot of the design is attached (created at alliedshirts.com). We may need to pay extra for rush delivery.

We could also do something smaller, e.g., collect signatures and put
them on a card.

This is nice. It is personal and it has no potential collisions with ones fashion style. If somebody creates the design and collects the signatures, we can print it (although I don't know where yet) and deliver it.

Vaclav

grass_gis_terminal_t-shirt.png (130K) Download Attachment

On 01/05/17 17:07, Vaclav Petras wrote:

> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 10:00 AM, Anna Petrášová
>

>     Vaclav and I are going to be at the University of Illinois at
>     Urbana-Champaign between 15-20th of May, so we could potentially
>     deliver it in person.  T-shirt with the GRASS ASCII logo would look
>     great I think, the problem is we would have to order it now and it
>     might be quite costly, because they usually require minimum number of
>     T-shirts, and we are not sure about the right size. It would be great
>     though to have those T-shirts for conferences, so we can look into
>     some options.
>

> The T-shirts are usually around $20, but Allied Shirts have a sale right
> now. I don't recall seeing T-shirt of this brand, so I can't comment on
> it. Anyway, with the ASCII design (which has just one color) we get to
> $101.15 total when ordering 12 of them ($8.43 per T-shirt). For one
> T-shirt it is $20 (it seems one can order it this way, but I'm not sure)
> and $15 ea for 4 T-shirts. All T-shirts must be one color (and there is
> limited selection), but they can be different sizes and for the lower
> prices per T-shirt still apply. Also all T-shirts must be one type -
> Budget (friendly) Unisex in this case. The size chart is available [1].
> A screenshot of the design is attached (created at alliedshirts.com
> <http://alliedshirts.com>). We may need to pay extra for rush delivery.
>
>     We could also do something smaller, e.g., collect signatures and put
>     them on a card.
>

> This is nice. It is personal and it has no potential collisions with
> ones fashion style. If somebody creates the design and collects the
> signatures, we can print it (although I don't know where yet) and
> deliver it.

I really like this t-shirt proposal. I think that $20 for one t-shirt is
great, and think that having a single edition just for him would be a
nice gesture, but I would be willing to buy a t-shirt if you decide to
make more.

Just a reminder: this is a publicly archived maling list, so not sure if
we should discuss all this here ;-)

Moritz

Re: Again: Jim Westervelt retirement: May 2017

Markus Neteler

On May 1, 2017 5:38 PM, "Moritz Lennert" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...great ideas...]

> Just a reminder: this is a publicly archived maling list, so not sure if we should discuss all this here ;-)

I continue to believe that this must go private - see my previous email some time ago.

Markus

Re: Again: Jim Westervelt retirement: May 2017

NikosAlexandris

@Vincent, would you have time to do some of your magic with the GRASSGIS
SVG logo?

My idea for a T-shirt is attached (PDF file).

@Anna, it would be great if you could deliver something in person.
Personally, I would not mind to pay something more for a nice T-shirt,
or else.  Can we reach out the grass community, through the grass-user
list to ask for interest in a T-shirt?  Any other ideas?

Nikos

ps- modules extracted via:

grep -nrl Westervelt /osgeo/grass54/grass-5.4.0/ |grep '/html/html' |cut -d"/" -f7 |sed 's/.html//' |sort -u > /home/nik/westervelt_grassgis_contributions
grep -nrl Westervelt /osgeo/grass64/ |grep docs |cut -d"/" -f7 |sed 's/.html//' >> /home/nik/westervelt_grassgis_contributions
grep -nrl Westervelt /osgeo/grass72 |grep docs |grep html |cut -d"/" -f7 |sed 's/.html//' >> /home/nik/westervelt_grassgis_contributions
cat westervelt_grass_contributions |sort -u > westervelt_grassgis_unique_contributions

* Anna Petrášová <[hidden email]> [2017-05-01 10:00:38 -0400]:

>Hi all,
>
>Vaclav and I are going to be at the University of Illinois at
>Urbana-Champaign between 15-20th of May, so we could potentially
>deliver it in person.  T-shirt with the GRASS ASCII logo would look
>great I think, the problem is we would have to order it now and it
>might be quite costly, because they usually require minimum number of
>T-shirts, and we are not sure about the right size. It would be great
>though to have those T-shirts for conferences, so we can look into
>some options.
>We could also do something smaller, e.g., collect signatures and put
>them on a card.
>
>Anna
>
>On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Nikos Alexandris
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> * "Peter Löwe" <[hidden email]> [2017-04-25 16:50:50 +0200]:
>>
>>>   Dear all,
>>

>> Dear Peter,
>>

>>>   since May is just about to start, I would like to reiterate the question
>>>   of short term actions for Jim Westervelts upcoming retirement. Can we do
>>>   greeting card/flowers, or similar prior to the actions discussed earlier
>>> ?
>>

>> Just an idea (by Abel G. originally), a T-shirt with or including the
>> attached SVG with perhaps the "old" GRASS logo?
>>
>> Cheers, Nikos
>>

>>>   Anybody willing to take the lead ?
>>

>> Not really me, just contributing an idea.
>>
>>>      Best,
>>>   Peter
>>

>> ps- Thank you Jim!

Nikos Alexandris | Remote Sensing & Geomatics
GPG Key Fingerprint 6F9D4506F3CA28380974D31A9053534B693C4FB3

westervelt_grassgis_unique_contributions.pdf (50K) Download Attachment
westervelt_grassgis_unique_contributions.lyx (4K) Download Attachment
westervelt_grassgis_unique_contributions (599 bytes) Download Attachment
12