JavaFX map module

Alexander Wöstmann
Hi all,
i recently started developing a JavaFX class, using a GeoTools MapContent to
display a map and would like to add it as an unsupported Module.
My approach differs from these tutorials [1], as it uses a WMS as a background
map. The map is pannable, zoomable, you can switch the CRS and add points or
polygons.

What is the best practice to share my code [2] with you and do you know of
similar implementations?
Best regards,
Alexander

[1] https://github.com/aofxzuza/geotools_fx_tutorial
[2] https://github.com/awoestmann/geotools-fx-map-test

--

[hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B 18998

Re: JavaFX map module

jody.garnett
You are kind of following the best practice - asking on the email list is one of the steps.

The unsupported module area is open to those who want to share their work, there are more details here:

--
Jody Garnett

On 30 March 2017 at 10:51, Alexander Wöstmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Jody,
thanks for your response.
I have read the developer guide you mentioned and created a wiki article for
my module[1].
So all I need is commit access and i can get started.
Best Regards,
Alexander

[1] https://github.com/geotools/geotools/wiki/JavaFX-Map-Module

Am Freitag 31 März 2017 00:00:47 schrieb Jody Garnett:

> You are kind of following the best practice - asking on the email list is
> one of the steps.
>
> The unsupported module area is open to those who want to share their work,
> there are more details here:
> - http://docs.geotools.org/latest/developer/procedures/create.html
>
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 30 March 2017 at 10:51, Alexander Wöstmann <
>
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > i recently started developing a JavaFX class, using a GeoTools MapContent
> > display a map and would like to add it as an unsupported Module.
> > My approach differs from these tutorials [1], as it uses a WMS as a
> > background
> > map. The map is pannable, zoomable, you can switch the CRS and add points
> > or
> > polygons.
> >
> > What is the best practice to share my code [2] with you and do you know
> > of similar implementations?
> > Best regards,
> > Alexander
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/aofxzuza/geotools_fx_tutorial
> > [2] https://github.com/awoestmann/geotools-fx-map-test
> >

> > --
> >
> > [hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
> > Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B
> > 18998 Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr.
> > Jan-Oliver Wagner

[hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B 18998
Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Re: JavaFX map module

jody.garnett
Thanks, can I confirm you (or your employer) have signed the OSGeo license agreement thing?

http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/legal/licenses.html

Other than that I am very happy to give you a +1

What is your github id?

--
Jody Garnett

On 4 May 2017 at 07:20, Alexander Wöstmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jody,
thanks for your response.
I have read the developer guide you mentioned and created a wiki article for
my module[1].
So all I need is commit access and i can get started.
Best Regards,
Alexander

[1] https://github.com/geotools/geotools/wiki/JavaFX-Map-Module

Am Freitag 31 März 2017 00:00:47 schrieb Jody Garnett:
> You are kind of following the best practice - asking on the email list is
> one of the steps.
>
> The unsupported module area is open to those who want to share their work,
> there are more details here:
> - http://docs.geotools.org/latest/developer/procedures/create.html
>
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 30 March 2017 at 10:51, Alexander Wöstmann <
>
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > i recently started developing a JavaFX class, using a GeoTools MapContent
> > display a map and would like to add it as an unsupported Module.
> > My approach differs from these tutorials [1], as it uses a WMS as a
> > background
> > map. The map is pannable, zoomable, you can switch the CRS and add points
> > or
> > polygons.
> >
> > What is the best practice to share my code [2] with you and do you know
> > of similar implementations?
> > Best regards,
> > Alexander
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/aofxzuza/geotools_fx_tutorial
> > [2] https://github.com/awoestmann/geotools-fx-map-test
> >

> > --
> >
> > [hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
> > Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B
> > 18998 Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr.
> > Jan-Oliver Wagner

[hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B 18998
Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Re: JavaFX map module

Alexander Wöstmann
My employer has now signed the CCLA and sent it to OSGeo.
Best Regards,
Alexander

Thanks, can I assume that this (https://github.com/awoestmann) is you :)

--
Jody Garnett

--

[hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B 18998
Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Re: JavaFX map module

Alexander Wöstmann

Hi everyone,

i have started integrating the JavaFX map widget into Geotools as an unsupported module. I would now like to commit my progress, so i can get some Feedback.

Best Regards,

Alexander

--

[hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B 18998
Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

--
[hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B 18998
Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Re: JavaFX map module

jody.garnett
sounds good, do you have everything you need?

--
Jody Garnett

--

[hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B 18998
Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

--
[hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B 18998
Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Re: JavaFX map module

Alexander Wöstmann

Yes, i have created a pull request [1] for my module.
Best regards,
Alexander

[1] https://github.com/geotools/geotools/pull/1638
Am Montag 26 Juni 2017 23:47:29 schrieb Jody Garnett:

> sounds good, do you have everything you need?
>
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 23 June 2017 at 07:55, Alexander Wöstmann <
>
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > i have started integrating the JavaFX map widget into Geotools as an
> > unsupported module. I would now like to commit my progress, so i can get
> > some Feedback.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Alexander
> >
> > Am 24.05.2017 um 22:41 schrieb Jody Garnett:
> >
> > Thanks, can I assume that this (https://github.com/awoestmann) is you :)
> >
> > --
> > Jody Garnett
> >
> > On 24 May 2017 at 06:56, Alexander Wöstmann <alexander.woestmann@
> >
> > intevation.de> wrote:
> >> My employer has now signed the CCLA and sent it to OSGeo.
> >> Best Regards,
> >> Alexander

> >> Module.

> >> most

> >> --
> >>
> >> [hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
> >> Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B
> >> 18998
> >> Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr. Jan-Oliver
> >> Wagner
> >
> > -- [hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
> > Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B
> > 18998 Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr.
> > Jan-Oliver Wagner

[hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B 18998
Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Re: JavaFX map module

jody.garnett
I looked at this pull request and it is marked as a build failure; it is hard to tell if it is failing due to a change you made or due to a problem with the travis build system. I have asked the build to rerun and will report back.

--
Jody Garnett

On 29 June 2017 at 00:37, Alexander Wöstmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, i have created a pull request [1] for my module.
Best regards,
Alexander

[1] https://github.com/geotools/geotools/pull/1638
Am Montag 26 Juni 2017 23:47:29 schrieb Jody Garnett:
> sounds good, do you have everything you need?
>
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 23 June 2017 at 07:55, Alexander Wöstmann <
>
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > i have started integrating the JavaFX map widget into Geotools as an
> > unsupported module. I would now like to commit my progress, so i can get
> > some Feedback.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Alexander
> >
> > Am 24.05.2017 um 22:41 schrieb Jody Garnett:
> >
> > Thanks, can I assume that this (https://github.com/awoestmann) is you :)
> >
> > --
> > Jody Garnett
> >
> > On 24 May 2017 at 06:56, Alexander Wöstmann <alexander.woestmann@
> >
> > intevation.de> wrote:
> >> My employer has now signed the CCLA and sent it to OSGeo.
> >> Best Regards,
> >> Alexander

> >> Module.

> >> most

> >> --
> >>
> >> [hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
> >> Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B
> >> 18998
> >> Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr. Jan-Oliver
> >> Wagner
> >
> > -- [hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
> > Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B
> > 18998 Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr.
> > Jan-Oliver Wagner

[hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B 18998
Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Re: JavaFX map module

jody.garnett
Okay it builds again now, thanks for cleaning up the import. Can I ask you to fix your code formatting (tabs to spaces) to agree with project standards.

--
Jody Garnett

On 11 July 2017 at 10:36, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
I looked at this pull request and it is marked as a build failure; it is hard to tell if it is failing due to a change you made or due to a problem with the travis build system. I have asked the build to rerun and will report back.

--
Jody Garnett

On 29 June 2017 at 00:37, Alexander Wöstmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, i have created a pull request [1] for my module.
Best regards,
Alexander

[1] https://github.com/geotools/geotools/pull/1638
Am Montag 26 Juni 2017 23:47:29 schrieb Jody Garnett:
> sounds good, do you have everything you need?
>
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 23 June 2017 at 07:55, Alexander Wöstmann <
>
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > i have started integrating the JavaFX map widget into Geotools as an
> > unsupported module. I would now like to commit my progress, so i can get
> > some Feedback.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Alexander
> >
> > Am 24.05.2017 um 22:41 schrieb Jody Garnett:
> >
> > Thanks, can I assume that this (https://github.com/awoestmann) is you :)
> >
> > --
> > Jody Garnett
> >
> > On 24 May 2017 at 06:56, Alexander Wöstmann <alexander.woestmann@
> >
> > intevation.de> wrote:
> >> My employer has now signed the CCLA and sent it to OSGeo.
> >> Best Regards,
> >> Alexander

> >> Module.

> >> most

> >> --
> >>
> >> [hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
> >> Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B
> >> 18998
> >> Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr. Jan-Oliver
> >> Wagner
> >
> > -- [hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
> > Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B
> > 18998 Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr.
> > Jan-Oliver Wagner

[hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B 18998
Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Re: JavaFX map module

Alexander Wöstmann
Strange, that there are any tabs. I will fix this as soon as possible.

Alexander

--

[hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B 18998
Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Re: JavaFX map module

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
JavaFX/OpenJFX is included in Oracle JDK 8 but not in OpenJDK 8 bundled
for server deployments. Adding the javafx module to the full build
(-Dall) breaks the build on OpenJDK wherever OpenJFX is not installed,
including the new Jenkins on build.geoserver.org and GeoSolutions
OpenJDK Jenkins. On Debian amd64 this requires 19 MB of downloads and 52
MB on disk. Because OpenJDK is a supported platform, I think that this
new native dependency requires discussion. I will remove javafx from the
full (-Dall) build until agreement is reached.

Kind regards,
Ben.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director

Re: JavaFX map module

jody.garnett
Unsupported modules should not be added to -Dall by default.

I was under the impression we could not use java for server deployments because of our swing dependencies?

--
Jody Garnett

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

     Hi Jody,
     thanks for your response.
     I have read the developer guide you mentioned and created a

wiki

     article for
     my module[1].
     So all I need is commit access and i can get started.
     Best Regards,
     Alexander

     [1] https://github.com/geotools/ge

otools/wiki/JavaFX-Map-Module

    <https://github.com/geotools/geotools/wiki/JavaFX-Map-Module

     Am Freitag 31 März 2017 00:00:47 schrieb Jody Garnett:
     > You are kind of following the best practice - asking on
     > the

     email list is

     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
     > > Hi all,
     > > i recently started developing a JavaFX class, using a
     > > GeoTools

     MapContent

     > > display a map and would like to add it as an
     > > unsupported

Module.

     > > My approach differs from these tutorials [1], as it
     > > uses

     > > WMS

     as a

     > > background
     > > map. The map is pannable, zoomable, you can switch the

CRS

     > > and

     add points

------------------------------

     > > ------------------
     > > Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the

world's

most

     > > engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org!

http://sdm.link/slashdot

     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
     https://intevation.de/
     Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG

Osnabrück,

     HR B 18998
     Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr.
     Jan-Oliver Wagner

--

[hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR
B 18998
Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr.
Jan-Oliver Wagner

-- [hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR
B 18998 Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr.
Jan-Oliver Wagner

[hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B
18998
Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr. Jan-Oliver
Wagner

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
New Zealand

Re: JavaFX map module

geowolf
Can the build be made conditional on the presence of javafx?
I looked quickly and found nothing

Cheers
Andrea

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

     Hi Jody,
     thanks for your response.
     I have read the developer guide you mentioned and created a

wiki

     article for
     my module[1].
     So all I need is commit access and i can get started.
     Best Regards,
     Alexander

     [1] https://github.com/geotools/ge

otools/wiki/JavaFX-Map-Module

    <https://github.com/geotools/geotools/wiki/JavaFX-Map-Module

     Am Freitag 31 März 2017 00:00:47 schrieb Jody Garnett:
     > You are kind of following the best practice - asking on
     > the

     email list is

     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
     > > Hi all,
     > > i recently started developing a JavaFX class, using a
     > > GeoTools

     MapContent

     > > display a map and would like to add it as an
     > > unsupported

Module.

     > > My approach differs from these tutorials [1], as it
     > > uses

     > > WMS

     as a

     > > background
     > > map. The map is pannable, zoomable, you can switch the

CRS

     > > and

     add points

------------------------------

     > > ------------------
     > > Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the

world's

most

     > > engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org!

http://sdm.link/slashdot

     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
     https://intevation.de/
     Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG

Osnabrück,

     HR B 18998
     Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr.
     Jan-Oliver Wagner

--

[hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR
B 18998
Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr.
Jan-Oliver Wagner

-- [hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR
B 18998 Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr.
Jan-Oliver Wagner

[hidden email]  https://intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück; AG Osnabrück, HR B
18998
Geschäftsführer:   Frank Koormann,  Bernhard Reiter,  Dr. Jan-Oliver
Wagner

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
New Zealand

Andrea Aime

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: JavaFX map module

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
There is a profile that can be activated with -Pjavafx which includes
gt-javafx in the build.

Kind regards,
Ben.

On 13/07/17 19:02, Jody Garnett wrote:
> I was under the impression we could not use java for server deployments
> because of our swing dependencies?

The base JDKs distributed for Debian include Swing but not OpenJFX; I am
being self-referential but I think of these as server deployments
because typically only the base JDK is installed on servers. I do not
think CentOS even provides an OpenJFX package. I recall seeing a comment
that OpenJFX might be included in OpenJDK 9. I am not aware of any JDKs
that exclude Swing.

Kind regards,