JMapPane improvements

jody.garnett
Hi Ian:

I have been talking with Michael Bedward about improving JMapPane a bit;
you are the module maintainer on this one (last commit in 2007). Do you
mind if we hack away for a bit? My hope is that Michael will do the work
and I will document the result in the user guide (and update a couple of
the welcome examples that use it).

Jody

Re: JMapPane improvements

Ian Turton
On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Ian:
>
> I have been talking with Michael Bedward about improving JMapPane a bit;
> you are the module maintainer on this one (last commit in 2007). Do you
> mind if we hack away for a bit? My hope is that Michael will do the work
> and I will document the result in the user guide (and update a couple of
> the welcome examples that use it).

go for it :-)

Ian

Re: JMapPane improvements

mbedward
2009/2/17 Ian Turton <[hidden email]>:
> go for it :-)

Super :-)

Jody, let me know about any specifics you'd like to see in the first
cut.  Otherwise, I'll start off with a general clean-up and
refactoring of the existing JMapPane.

I'll warn the user list before committing.

cheers
Michael

Re: JMapPane improvements

jody.garnett
I want to review the setState method in the 2nd cut :-) And introduce the concept of a Tool (ie a delegate that handles mouse events and defines the cursor).

But yeah general clean up would be great; and we should javadoc what the methods do (even if we decide later they do not make sense as named).
Jody

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Michael Bedward <[hidden email]> wrote:
2009/2/17 Ian Turton <[hidden email]>:
> go for it :-)

Super :-)

Jody, let me know about any specifics you'd like to see in the first
cut.  Otherwise, I'll start off with a general clean-up and
refactoring of the existing JMapPane.

I'll warn the user list before committing.

cheers
Michael

Re: JMapPane improvements

mbedward
Hi Jody - sorry to hear you've been unwell - there are a few bugs
floating around Sydney at the moment.

Johann told me some more about his current work and the status of
swing-widgets-pending last week...
http://n2.nabble.com/spike-td2345012.html#a2346288

I've mulled a bit (code for looked blankly out the window) and I think
it is still a good idea to do the housekeeping on JMapPane, which
shouldn't take long, and then get into Johann's module, with the first
task to be documenting it.

Does that sound sensible ?

Michael

Re: JMapPane improvements

Simone Giannecchini
Sounds like a good idea to me,
even because as far as I have seen the difference between JMapPane and
johann work is quite huge, at least in term of code dimension.

Anyway, I am not sure  how the swing widget work will turn out in the
long run since, as far as I Know, the current work from johann depends
on geotidy (as I usually say no intent to start a fight, I already got
enough things to care of) and to me it does not seem so clear what
(and when) will happen with it, therefore you might end up with doing
code duplication or something similar to an inverse branch :-).
Honestly, if JMapPane is sufficient for you I'd just go for it for the
moment and then, depending on how things turn out in the mid term,
start playing with johann's work which,  by the way, is pretty neat
stuff.

My 0.02€,
Simone.

Ing. Simone Giannecchini
GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Owner - Software Engineer
Via Carignoni 51
55041  Camaiore (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584983027
fax:      +39 0584983027
mob:    +39 333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://simboss.blogspot.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/simonegiannecchini

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Michael Bedward
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jody - sorry to hear you've been unwell - there are a few bugs
> floating around Sydney at the moment.
>
> Johann told me some more about his current work and the status of
> swing-widgets-pending last week...
> http://n2.nabble.com/spike-td2345012.html#a2346288
>
> I've mulled a bit (code for looked blankly out the window) and I think
> it is still a good idea to do the housekeeping on JMapPane, which
> shouldn't take long, and then get into Johann's module, with the first
> task to be documenting it.
>
> Does that sound sensible ?
>
> Michael

Re: JMapPane improvements

jody.garnett
I think Micheal and I will look at Johann's work after; there are lots of excellent ideas there. I think I would like to draw out that work (and others) across the library so there are swing widgets in the modules that they work on; both as an example; and to help us make writing examples easier.

Jody

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Jody - sorry to hear you've been unwell - there are a few bugs
> floating around Sydney at the moment.
>
> Johann told me some more about his current work and the status of
> swing-widgets-pending last week...
> http://n2.nabble.com/spike-td2345012.html#a2346288
>
> I've mulled a bit (code for looked blankly out the window) and I think
> it is still a good idea to do the housekeeping on JMapPane, which
> shouldn't take long, and then get into Johann's module, with the first
> task to be documenting it.
>
> Does that sound sensible ?
>
> Michael

Re: JMapPane improvements

mbedward
thanks Simone and Jody - sounds like a plan

Michael