Is there plans for QGIS Grants in 2018

Arnaud Morvan
Hello,

Is there plans for QGIS Grants in 2018 ?

And if it is the case, what would be the window to make proposals ?

Arnaud

Re: Is there plans for QGIS Grants in 2018

pcav
Il 24/02/2018 17:58, Arnaud Morvan ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> Is there plans for QGIS Grants in 2018 ?

certainly

> And if it is the case, what would be the window to make proposals ?

I don't think we have set a date, but we'll advertize in due time - stay
tuned!

All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Is there plans for QGIS Grants in 2018

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

Yes as soon as the budget is approved, we will put out a call for grants.

Regards

Tim

On 24 Feb 2018, at 19:43, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:

Il 24/02/2018 17:58, Arnaud Morvan ha scritto:
Hello,

Is there plans for QGIS Grants in 2018 ?

certainly

And if it is the case, what would be the window to make proposals ?

I don't think we have set a date, but we'll advertize in due time - stay
tuned!

All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Is there plans for QGIS Grants in 2018

Vincent Picavet (ml)
Hi,

Given the current state of QGIS3, I would find wise to prioritize
bugfixes grant before opening grants for any proposal. Is that where the
current reflexion is headed ?

Regards,
Vincent

Il 25/02/2018 11:11, Vincent Picavet (ml) ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> Given the current state of QGIS3, I would find wise to prioritize
> bugfixes grant before opening grants for any proposal. Is that where the
> current reflexion is headed ?

IMHO grants can cover missing pieces, that are equally importnat to us
(e.g. documentation). I'm with you that consolidating at this stage is
more important than new features (which we are already plenty of).
Thanks.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Is there plans for QGIS Grants in 2018

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

In addition to Paolo’s comments I think the availability of time that we could pay devs for was also a limiting factor, so we can’t always assume that more money == more bug fixing. That said yes I think we are generally agreed that we should put as much money as possible into bug fixing.

Regards

Tim

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Is there plans for QGIS Grants in 2018

Nyall Dawson
On 25 February 2018 at 21:11, Vincent Picavet (ml)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Given the current state of QGIS3, I would find wise to prioritize
> bugfixes grant before opening grants for any proposal. Is that where the
> current reflexion is headed ?

I'm keen to get a feel for the impression of stability of 3.0 from
users - I'm gathering from this post that you have issues? Can you
elaborate please?

Nyall

Re: Is there plans for QGIS Grants in 2018

Régis Haubourg
I'm keen to get a feel for the impression of stability of 3.0 from
users - I'm gathering from this post that you have issues? Can you
elaborate please?

Hi,
let's wait a couple of weeks for real user feedbacks
We have crashes, no doubt, and also many unpolished features (see the two recent ones about the new vertex editor for instance).
In my guess, we changed some features at a so low level with a totally new ergonomy that we for sure will have a lot of feeback soon.
And in this I agree with Vincent that having efforts in bugfixing to have a really stable LTR is a priority.

Best regards

By the way, I've been doing a lot of changelog polishing today, the amount of work in there is impressive. Really impressive. Kudos to all.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Given the current state of QGIS3, I would find wise to prioritize
> bugfixes grant before opening grants for any proposal. Is that where the
> current reflexion is headed ?

I'm keen to get a feel for the impression of stability of 3.0 from
users - I'm gathering from this post that you have issues? Can you
elaborate please?

Nyall

Re: Is there plans for QGIS Grants in 2018

Andreas Neumann-4

FYI: we already spent 52k € on bug fixing for QGIS 3! This is far more than on any other release! 35k spent in 2017 and 17k spent in 2018.

I am reluctant to spend more on QGIS 3 bug fixing, unless there are really important issues to fix. In that case I would need a list of issues the dev plans to fix and an estimate of hour many hours this would potentially mean.

Our financial resources are not unlimited.

If we want to spend more on QGIS 3 bug fixing, we have to understand that it would be at the expense of other planned expenses (documentation, QGIS grants, etc.)

Greetings,

Andreas

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Il 26/02/2018 07:24, Andreas Neumann ha scritto:

> I am reluctant to spend more on QGIS 3 bug fixing, unless there are
> really important issues to fix. In that case I would need a list of
> issues the dev plans to fix and an estimate of hour many hours this
> would potentially mean.

Agreed. I think we (community/donors/psc etc.) did our part, now
organizations and users can invest to polish what is left.
Thanks.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Is there plans for QGIS Grants in 2018

Anita Graser
We just discussed the call for grant proposals at the PSC meeting. Before we can send out the call, we need to do the AGM where voting members approve the 2018 budget.

The current plan is that I will send out the call in the last week of March.

Regards,
Anita