Is there an easy way to add a graticule and coastline to existing geotiffs?

Is there an easy way to add a graticule and coastline to existing geotiffs?

pw-3
Hello,

I believe this question was asked here before
by someone.

Does one of the OGR or GDAL utilities allow the
overlay of a graticule and coastline vector on
an existing geotiff?

I have found myself with a directory full of
geotiffs that need this. I was hoping to batch
them somehow.

Many thanks if you can help,

Peter

Re: Is there an easy way to add a graticule and coastline to existing geotiffs?

pw-3
Cody Benkelman wrote:

> Peter
>
> Are you seeking to add a vector layer into the raster GeoTIFF image, or
> "burn" a vector overlay into the GeoTIFF pixels, thus changing the
> brightness
> values of the image pixels underneath the vector lines?
>
> I may be wrong, but in either case I believe the answer to your question
> is no.
>
> In the former case, I don't believe GeoTIFF includes support for
> vector layers.  (If I'm wrong, I'm sure Frank or others will correct me!)
>
> In the latter case, a GeoTIFF file could certainly support
> the newly created image, but I don't believe the OGR or GDAL utilities
> provide
> a tool to rasterize a vector layer and then merge the new pixels into the
> image raster.  Other applications DO provide that functionality, though, so
> if
> this is what you're seeking, let us know.
>
> What format is your coastline vector data?

Hello,

I want to rasterize line vectors and merge
them into the geotiff.

I can pretty much export/import vectors in any format.

GMT can do overlays like this, but then I end up
with postcript instead of geotiff.
What other applications do you suggest?
Are they scriptable?

Thanks,