Is it possible to isolate mapserver on docker?

Is it possible to isolate mapserver on docker?

Antti J. Lind
Hello list,

We are currently using php-mapserver-apache on centos7.
Now there is one wms-server, which is using wms server version 1.3.0 and
our mapservers client does not.
It seems to be quite big change to update our current version 6.2 to 7.2
beta and run it on same host as php-scripts and apache.

It there some way to isolate mapserver on docker or run it on another
host without http-server?
On docker hub there is only images, which are including http-server with
mapserver.

--
Antti J. Lind
BirdLife Finland

Re: Is it possible to isolate mapserver on docker?

Michael Smith
You can certainly run mapserver via cgi standalone on docker but if you want to do php mapscript, you’d need mapserver compiled with php mapscript in the docker container. If you do that, you’d probably need a http server inside the container but then you would proxy that out to your external http server.

Michael Smith

> On Jun 30, 2018, at 9:59 AM, Antti J. Lind <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello list,
>
> We are currently using php-mapserver-apache on centos7.
> Now there is one wms-server, which is using wms server version 1.3.0 and our mapservers client does not.
> It seems to be quite big change to update our current version 6.2 to 7.2 beta and run it on same host as php-scripts and apache.
>
> It there some way to isolate mapserver on docker or run it on another host without http-server?
> On docker hub there is only images, which are including http-server with mapserver.
>
> --
> Antti J. Lind
> BirdLife Finland

Re: Is it possible to isolate mapserver on docker?

Humberto Cereser Ibanez
...but then you would proxy that out to your external http server.

I'm using Apache2 Redirect:

Redirect /example http://172.17.0.3/example

on vhost who is also a container in the same host.

172.17.0.3 is the ip of the container with Apache2 and Mapserver

You can certainly run mapserver via cgi standalone on docker but if you want to do php mapscript, you’d need mapserver compiled with php mapscript in the docker container. If you do that, you’d probably need a http server inside the container but then you would proxy that out to your external http server.

Michael Smith

> On Jun 30, 2018, at 9:59 AM, Antti J. Lind <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello list,
>
> We are currently using php-mapserver-apache on centos7.
> Now there is one wms-server, which is using wms server version 1.3.0 and our mapservers client does not.
> It seems to be quite big change to update our current version 6.2 to 7.2 beta and run it on same host as php-scripts and apache.
>
> It there some way to isolate mapserver on docker or run it on another host without http-server?
> On docker hub there is only images, which are including http-server with mapserver.
>
> --
> Antti J. Lind
> BirdLife Finland

Re: Is it possible to isolate mapserver on docker?

Antti J. Lind
Hi and thank's,

But how to use Apache's redirect with php-mapscript?

--
AJL

Humberto Cereser Ibanez kirjoitti 2018-06-30 19:14:

> ...but then you would proxy that out to your external http server.
>
> I'm using Apache2 Redirect:
>
> Redirect /example http://172.17.0.3/example
>
> on vhost who is also a container in the same host.
>
> 172.17.0.3 is the ip of the container with Apache2 and Mapserver

> <[hidden email]>:
>
>> You can certainly run mapserver via cgi standalone on docker but if
>> you want to do php mapscript, you’d need mapserver compiled with
>> php mapscript in the docker container. If you do that, you’d
>> probably need a http server inside the container but then you would
>> proxy that out to your external http server.
>>
>> Michael Smith
>>
>>> On Jun 30, 2018, at 9:59 AM, Antti J. Lind
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> We are currently using php-mapserver-apache on centos7.
>>> Now there is one wms-server, which is using wms server version
>> 1.3.0 and our mapservers client does not.
>>> It seems to be quite big change to update our current version 6.2
>> to 7.2 beta and run it on same host as php-scripts and apache.
>>>
>>> It there some way to isolate mapserver on docker or run it on
>> another host without http-server?
>>> On docker hub there is only images, which are including
>> http-server with mapserver.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Antti J. Lind
>>> BirdLife Finland

> Links:
> ------

Re: Is it possible to isolate mapserver on docker?

jratike80
Hi,

As a workaround for your problem with remote WMS that only supports WMS 1.3.0 it might be possible to use MapCache in between. It should be able to read WMS 1.3.0. It can also read WMTS if your service provider has WMTS available.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Aihe: Re: [mapserver-users] Is it possible to isolate mapserver on docker?

Hi and thank's,

But how to use Apache's redirect with php-mapscript?

--
AJL

Humberto Cereser Ibanez kirjoitti 2018-06-30 19:14:

> ...but then you would proxy that out to your external http server.
>
> I'm using Apache2 Redirect:
>
> Redirect /example http://172.17.0.3/example
>
> on vhost who is also a container in the same host.
>
> 172.17.0.3 is the ip of the container with Apache2 and Mapserver

> <[hidden email]>:
>
>> You can certainly run mapserver via cgi standalone on docker but if
>> you want to do php mapscript, you’d need mapserver compiled with
>> php mapscript in the docker container. If you do that, you’d
>> probably need a http server inside the container but then you would
>> proxy that out to your external http server.
>>
>> Michael Smith
>>
>>> On Jun 30, 2018, at 9:59 AM, Antti J. Lind
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> We are currently using php-mapserver-apache on centos7.
>>> Now there is one wms-server, which is using wms server version
>> 1.3.0 and our mapservers client does not.
>>> It seems to be quite big change to update our current version 6.2
>> to 7.2 beta and run it on same host as php-scripts and apache.
>>>
>>> It there some way to isolate mapserver on docker or run it on
>> another host without http-server?
>>> On docker hub there is only images, which are including
>> http-server with mapserver.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Antti J. Lind
>>> BirdLife Finland

> Links:
> ------

Re: Is it possible to isolate mapserver on docker?

Antti J. Lind
Hi,

Could be ok for us.

Do you mean MapCache on same Apache as MapServer 6.2 or on different
host and which version of MapCache could work?

--
AJL

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) kirjoitti 2018-07-01 21:54:

> Hi,
>
> As a workaround for your problem with remote WMS that only supports
> WMS 1.3.0 it might be possible to use MapCache in between. It should
> be able to read WMS 1.3.0. It can also read WMTS if your service
> provider has WMTS available.
>
> -Jukka Rahkonen-

My Debian Jessie container has php-mapscript integrated with Apache2.