Introduction

Jarrett Totton
Hi All,

I just figured I would introduce myself. My name is Jarrett Totton and
I am a student at NBCC Moncton taking the GIS Diploma program. I am
quite familiar with ESRI software, but when I came across GRASS it
piqued my interest being a powerful GIS analysis engine without the
powerful price-tag. I am not a programmer, my background is in
forestry, but I want to master the use of GRASS (I am still in the
learning phases, I know how to run it but am just learning where
everything is) and learn how to develop my own modules in
python(someday). I am quite interested in how people in the industry
are using GRASS and other open source geospatial software and for what
they are using it for. Also as a student I am interested in making
myself as employable as possible for when I graduate and feel that
GRASS and other free software will help with this.

But enough about me. I also read in some of your previous emails that
you as a group were seeking more involvement from schools and the
like. I am sue if someone was interested they would be more than
welcome to come to my school and introduce the organisation, and I
could help arrange this.

I would be very interested in sitting in on a meeting of the Atlantic
Chapter of the Open Source Geospatial Foundation and would also like
learning more about OSM and how I can contribute and how the data from
OSM can be used in other projects and in what formats it can be used
in.

To end my short introduction of myself I would like to make a call for
ideas for a project I have to do for school. I would be interested in
solving a real world problem that has readily available data and would
show the capabilities of GRASS.

Thank you for your time,

Jarrett Totton

Re: Introduction

Timothy Astle
Great to hear from you Jarrett!

You'll have to come out to our next meeting.  The meetings are informal social events to discuss all things GIS and of course, the free and open source software available.  It's a great way to network, learn and share ideas.

Definitely get the word out on this group to your peers.  The more people that are involved, the better it is for all of us.

Best wishes!

Tim

On 31/01/2011 6:51 PM, Jarrett Totton wrote:
[...]

Timothy Astle, BCS
Web Development Manager
CARIS
115 Waggoners Lane
Fredericton, New Brunswick
Canada    E3B 2L4
Tel: +1.506.458.8533     Fax: +1.506.459.3849
www.caris.com

Connect with CARIS
Twitter LinkedIn FaceBook YouTube

Download your free copy of CARIS Easy View today!
www.caris.com/easyview

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) please notify us by email reply. You should not use, disclose, distribute or copy this communication if received in error.

Any views or opinions expressed in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. No binding contract will result from this email until such time as a written document is signed on behalf of the company.

Re: Introduction

Sam Vekemans
FYI,
Just an observation.

On the talk-ca mailing list, where i have attended and creating osm -
'mapping parties', i have noticed where the difference is from an
osgeo 'informal meeting'

The OSGeo Community (all things geo-related) is a much more
professional group.  The group members tend to be professional gis
people (in their day jobs).

Where-as, for OSM, there is a tendency (or at least in the begining)
for it to be 'weekend hobbiests, and geocaching, and maaping
inthusiasts'

So there is a contrast, which is known, but perhaps not apparent,
especially when writing notes to each mailing list.

Just an observation.  If OpenStreetMap Canada wants to become
osgeo-canada .... this is where the data licence conflicts.

I can freely talk about 'commonmap and open map features, and
alternate api's at a osgeo-canada meetup, but that discussion is
'shunned' on the osm-ca mailing list and meetups.

Just an observation,

cheers,
sam

--
Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blogs: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
@Acrosscanadatrails

Re: Introduction

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Jarrett,

Well welcome to the group :)  I think your timing is perfect, and giving
you the ability to network on this mailing list, with other Open Source
Geospatial types, or through face to face low-key meetings is exactly
what the purpose of our OSGeo local chapter is.

I am happy to hear that you have discovered GRASS.  I hope also that you
discovered QGIS, as a user-friendly front-end to GRASS.

Looking forward to meeting you soon.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

On 11-02-01 11:06 AM, Sam Vekemans wrote:
> Ok..
> Thanks :)
> 'qgis is a front-end mapping platform to grass'.
> I didn't know that. ... it explains a lot.

Hello Sam,

Please always respond to this mailing list, so we can all talk together :)

Yes Quantum GIS is a wonderful tool, that can be leveraged as a nice
user-friendly way to interact with the powerful GRASS engine.

Do you need more information, or to point you to how to enable this
functionality in QGIS?

Talk soon,

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

Re: Introduction

Sam Vekemans
Thanks :)
That answered my comments.
Regards,
Sam

On 2/1/11, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11-02-01 11:06 AM, Sam Vekemans wrote:
>> Ok..
>> Thanks :)
>> 'qgis is a front-end mapping platform to grass'.
>> I didn't know that. ... it explains a lot.
>>

> Hello Sam,
>
> Please always respond to this mailing list, so we can all talk together :)
>
> Yes Quantum GIS is a wonderful tool, that can be leveraged as a nice
> user-friendly way to interact with the powerful GRASS engine.
>
> Do you need more information, or to point you to how to enable this
> functionality in QGIS?
>
> Talk soon,
>
> -jeff
>
> --
> Jeff McKenna
> MapServer Consulting and Training Services
> http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blogs: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
http://Acrosscanadatrails.blogspot.com
Skype: samvekemans
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #osm-ca Canadian OSM channel (an open chat room)
@Acrosscanadatrails

Re: [Talk-ca] [AtlanticCanada] Introduction

Emilie Laffray
Hello,

just a quick comment following your observation.
I would like to point out the relation between osm and osgeo are orthogonal considering they have two different mandates: osgeo is working on open source geography tools, many of which I use almost everyday, osm is a free data source. The members between the two groups largely overlap and there is absolutely no conflict. Many people from osgeo are doing some work in osm and vice versa.

OpenStreetMap Canada will never become osgeo-Canada because they don't have the same goals in the first place. I would also like to point out that several local osm groups are a sub section of local osgeo groups like what is happening in France and Germany. There is no licensing problem whatsoever or conflicts. I am part of osgeo-fr. In addition, tools like Mapnik are moving towards OGC standards allowing to use WMS. In addition, the OSM wiki website is full of examples on how to use many people produced by the osgeo community like mapserver, openlayers, GDAL/OGR2OGR, Postgis, etc.....

You can of course talk about different source of data on osgeo mailing lists. But you would however find very difficult to go and praise latest incarnation of Arcgis from ESRI on and on on the osgeo mailing list: that would be considered trolling. Similarly, raving on CommonMap on osm mailing lists is not considered polite at best. You are more than welcome to talk about it but making it the single point of all discussion is not considered polite.

In addition, many people including me are talking to Brendan Morley regularly and we have no qualms about CommonMap. It is a different solution answering to a different need. However, it is not free of licensing issues itself, and so far it is possible for them to contribute back two ways with Australian government as it is using the same licence (CC-BY, a ported version for Australia), which may or may not prevent similar interaction in in Canada, or the US for example due to licensing issues. Apart from that, it is wonderful project which I hope will succeed.

Anyway, this was a quick answer to your email. There is no point in continuing to hijack this thread in public and I am more than happy to continue to reply in private as I don't want to look like I am raving.

Emilie Laffray
OSMF Treasurer

Just an observation,

Re: [Talk-ca] [AtlanticCanada] Introduction

Sam Vekemans
... but their is a conflict, as OpenStreetMap is not as 'free' as some
people in the OSGeo community has indicated. (from my presentation to
the osgeo-bc chapter last summer).

But I agree, I can take a more professional approach, and write a
Paper about this.

It will be interesting to hear the results of if OSGeo-BC have changed
their opinion, and perhaps this opinion is not reflected in Atlantic
Canada?

.... or perhaps there is no interest in discussing it, as people will
still misunderstand what 'free' means, even after April 1st.

I guess only time will tell.

Cheers,
Sam

@Acrosscanadatrails

Re: [Talk-ca] [AtlanticCanada] Introduction

Emilie Laffray
Hello,

to make it very short, if you want to talk about free, please refer to a definition.
Freedom in the open source world is very subjective. It is an old debate with old arguments over whether whose licence is freer: BSD or GPL. If you follow that line of argument, you will see that OSM is free following the definition of FSF foundation. I have no desire to go over that debate that is known and is debated quite frequently.
Whether OSM switches to a new licence or not, it doesn't change the fact that ultimately OSM data will remain under a share alike licence which you already qualified as less "free".
I once again apologize that background noise and this will be my last reply to this thread :)

Emilie Laffray

@Acrosscanadatrails

Re: [Talk-ca] [AtlanticCanada] Introduction

Sam Vekemans
It would be nice if OpenStreetMap got recognition on the osgeo
website. ... that would show some kind of clear collaboration efforts.

But it's not listed as one of the projects it (OSGeo) supports, why is that?
... One would think that promotion for the next SOTM would benifit the
osgeo website users.

My 2-cents,

@Acrosscanadatrails

Re: [Talk-ca] [AtlanticCanada] Introduction

Emilie Laffray
Hello,

indeed, two separate communities :)
I would love to come to some of the OSGeo meeting in Canada at some point (but I am stuck in London, UK not ON), because there is a huge opportunity to learn from each other.

Emilie Laffray

On 2 February 2011 15:07, Teresa Baldwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
OSGeo and OpenStreetMap are not affliated with each other, it is as
simple as that. OSGeo has a Public Geospatial Data Committee [1] that
generally sits dormant, but it exists. That might be the place to
start if you wanted to work on collaboration. At this point, they are
very different communities.

That being said, I would love OpenStreetMappers to come out to our
OSGeo meetings [2]. I would love to see the two communities, at least
in Ottawa, connect with one another. We're actually having our next
meeting tomorrow (Thursday, February 3rd) at the Fox and Feather [3]
on Elgin, at 6pm. If anyone on this list is interested, feel free to
come out. We're a pretty social crowd.