Introduction & Proposal

Jan Pišl
Hi!

I've just subscribed to the PyWPS-dev mailing list so I'd like to briefly introduce myself. I am a student at the Czech Technical University in Prague and my major is Geodesy and Geoinformatics. For my bachelor thesis, I worked on an extension of PyWPS that would allow output data to be stored in a PostGIS database. The thesis is available on GitHub [1] and is written in English so if you are interested, have a look!

While I sucessfully defended my thesis (Ing. Jachym Cepicky was the opponent), it is far from being done.The way I did it, the XML response document includes a reference that consists of the name of the corresponding database, schema and table. However, the client (consumer of a process) must connect to the database by themselves to access the data which is not compliant with the OGC WPS standard. One possible solution would be to have OGC WFS and WCS running and to provide the client with a URL to these services. And there is a number of other things that need to be worked on, too.

My supervisor suggested I could apply for the Google Summer of Code scholarship so I could finalize my project into the form of a pull request. I believe that from the PyWPS list of ideas for GSoC, [2] and [3] are closest to what I am aiming to do. So, I'd like to hear from anyone of you what are your views on this.

I will be grateful for your opinions and suggestions!

Sincerely,

Jan Pišl

Bez virů. www.avast.com

Re: Introduction & Proposal

Martin Landa

> My supervisor suggested I could apply for the Google Summer of Code scholarship so I could finalize my project into the form of a pull request. I believe that from the PyWPS list of ideas for GSoC, [2] and [3] are closest to what I am aiming to do. So, I'd like to hear from anyone of you what are your views on this.

since I know Jan as his supervisor I could play a role of a GSoC
co-mentor. A mentor should be definitely someone from PyWPS devs
community.

Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa

Re: Introduction & Proposal

Jan Pišl
Hi,

I have written a draft of my GSoC proposal [1] that I had mentioned previously in this mailing list. I have been in contact with Jachym Cepicky who could be my mentor in the program. I would be really grateful for any feedback anyone of you could give me. I am keen to turn in a strong proposal as I would be thrilled to be able to participate in GSoC with my project.

Thank you!

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 11:08 AM, Martin Landa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My supervisor suggested I could apply for the Google Summer of Code scholarship so I could finalize my project into the form of a pull request. I believe that from the PyWPS list of ideas for GSoC, [2] and [3] are closest to what I am aiming to do. So, I'd like to hear from anyone of you what are your views on this.

since I know Jan as his supervisor I could play a role of a GSoC
co-mentor. A mentor should be definitely someone from PyWPS devs
community.

Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa

Re: Introduction & Proposal

David Huard
Hi Jan,

I'm a newbie here and only have a superficial understanding of what you are proposing, but I just wanted to give you some info on our use case in the case it could prove useful.

Almost all of our processes return either one or multiple netCDF files (which can be pretty large), which the user may or may not want to publish as a public resource. netCDF files are stored on a THREDDS server, and we manage a catalog of resources and their metadata using Solr. Sessions and user information is persisted using the loopback API.

We're very interested in collecting provenance information (which process and version was run, on which infrastructure, when, for which user, using which inputs) and anything that would help with the temporary caching of results (if we receive two identical requests, can the server check its own state -code version, libs and dependencies- to decide whether or not it's ok to return the previously computed answer?)

Regards,

David Huard