Intro and new Excel wrapper for proj.4

John Buonagurio
Hi all,

I'm new to the list. I just finished an Excel API wrapper for
pj_transform(), which was surprisingly straightforward thanks to the
easy build with NMAKE and simple API (I can't say enough good things
about this library). Here's the GitHub page with some basic
documentation:

<https://github.com/jbuonagurio/proj.xll>

I started this a couple years ago actually, but just recently changed it
to use the native Excel C API and added some other improvements like the
EPSG() function to return proj.4 strings from a giant switch statement
(for single file deployment / separate folder and PROJ_LIB not
required).

I have a few improvements planned, but please let me know if you have
any suggestions or feedback:

- create an installer and chm help file
- test against GIGS
- use pj_is_latlong() so you don't have to use radians

-----

On a somewhat unrelated note, I also started working on a library
version of NGS HTDP, and a simple wrapper to use it in R:

<https://github.com/jbuonagurio/RHTDP>

The library isn't quite ready for prime time just yet - need to make a
proper C binding with iso_c_binding (only works with GCC at the moment),
add the required explicit interfaces and other cleanup. At this point
the F77 code is mostly unmodified.

I know you have the crs2crs2grid.py utility to generate HTDP grids
between specific epochs, but I think it would be cool to embed HTDP in
such a way that you can provide epoch dates as parameters in the proj.4
string. Would probably take quite a bit of work to do this 'cleanly'
though.

Thanks for the great software,

John Buonagurio

Re: Intro and new Excel wrapper for proj.4

Kristian Evers-2
Hi John,

Very cool indeed. I know of at least one that will find this useful. I've added a link to you github repo on the wiki [0]. Eventually I'll get round to putting on the website as well.

Your work on HTDP sounds interesting as well. I'll have to give it a closer look later. I wonder if there's an overlap between your work and the "transformation pipelines" [1] that Thomas are working on.

/Kristian

[0] https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/wiki
[1] https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/pull/388