Interested in PostGIS for a replacement to ArcSDE

Interested in PostGIS for a replacement to ArcSDE

Anthony Bargnesi
Hello,

My company uses ArcSDE on an Oracle backend.  However we would like to lower our third party costs as each customer requires an Oracle database and SDE license.  Our company was interested in using PostGIS to replace our ArcSDE solution.  What costs would be involved with deploying a PostGIS (using Postgres rdbms) solution to a customer?

Thank you,

Anthony Bargnesi
Institute of Information Technology, Inc.

RE: Interested in PostGIS for a replacement to ArcSDE

Randy George

No cost for licensing, but of course redeploying the data and application using PostGIS would take some effort and presumably cost.

My company uses ArcSDE on an Oracle backend.  However we would like to lower our third party costs as each customer requires an Oracle database and SDE license.  Our company was interested in using PostGIS to replace our ArcSDE solution.  What costs would be involved with deploying a PostGIS (using Postgres rdbms) solution to a customer?

Thank you,

Anthony Bargnesi
Institute of Information Technology, Inc.

AW: [postgis-users] Interested in PostGIS for a replacement to ArcSDE

Uwe Seher
Hello!
The thing is which functionality you need and which environment is available. If you can tell more it would be helpful. If you are interrested, i am working on a read/write-solution between ArcGIS and Postgis which will get a sourceforge-project in the near future.

Greetings
Uwe Seher

Re: AW: [postgis-users] Interested in PostGIS for a replacement to ArcSDE

"Weßling, Achim"
Sorry,

but how near is it? We just in the state of buying a sulution, which is
working, but if we can get a opensource-solution we would prefer it!

--
Mit freundlichem Gruß

Achim Weßling
INFOKOM Gütersloh AöR
Fachbereich II - Technische Anwendungen
Herzebrocker Str. 140
33334 Gütersloh
Tel.: 05241/85-2926
[hidden email]
http://www.infokom-gt.de

Am Do, den 14.07.2005 schrieb Uwe Seher um 11:07:

> Hello!
> The thing is which functionality you need and which environment is
> available. If you can tell more it would be helpful. If you are
> interrested, i am working on a read/write-solution between ArcGIS and
> Postgis which will get a sourceforge-project in the near future.
>
> Greetings
> Uwe Seher

AW: AW: [postgis-users] Interested in PostGIS for a replacement toArcSDE

Uwe Seher
It is at the beginning, just a spinof of my own dataproblems. At the moment
it can read Geometries over oledb well and i am reviewing and documenting
the code at the moment. After this I will create a Sourceforge-project. So
it is far away from a stable solution, but i have to do some payed work too
;)

Grettings

Uwe Seher
art & engineering
kauppert und mach ingenieurpartnerschaft
nebeniusstr. 34
d-76137 karlsruhe

fon +49 721 3548969-3
fax +49 721 3548969-5

email [hidden email], www.arteng.de

____________
Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirusKit
Version: AVK 15.0.6038 from 13.07.2005
Virus news: www.antiviruslab.com

RE: Interested in PostGIS for a replacement to ArcSDE

Guy Carpenter
I looked into this a while ago, and at that time (at ArcGIS 9.0)
you would have had to license the Data Interoperability
Extensions for your ESRI ArcGIS 9.0 clients to be able
to access PostGIS.

That extension was going to cost us AU$2500 per seat, and it
had a number of obvious bugs, so it was not an attractive
route.

With the 9.1 release, ESRI have bundled the Data Interoperability
Package into the core product - no extra licensing fee.
Also Safe Software (authors of the Interop. extension)
were busily working on fixes to the bugs in the extension last year.

I haven't tried using PostGIS from ArcGIS 9.1, but it sounds like all of the
pieces may be in place to make it work.

Cheers,
Guy Carpenter
Atherton Tablelands GIS

RE: Interested in PostGIS for a replacement to ArcSDE

Emilio Mayorga
Regarding ArcGIS 9.1 and the "bundling" of the Data Interoperability
extension: ESRI has made the 9.1 PR language really, really ambiguous,
but I've asked someone from ESRI directly and no, this extension is not
free. They simply have packaged it with the standard installation at
9.1, so it's easier to install. The license cost has not changed.

It's still a powerful piece of software. Just not free.

-Emilio Mayorga

> Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:53:15 +1000
> From: "Guy Carpenter" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: RE: [postgis-users] Interested in PostGIS for a replacement
> to ArcSDE
> To: "'Anthony Bargnesi'" <[hidden email]>, "'PostGIS Users
> Discussion'" <[hidden email]>
>
> I looked into this a while ago, and at that time (at ArcGIS 9.0)
> you would have had to license the Data Interoperability
> Extensions for your ESRI ArcGIS 9.0 clients to be able
> to access PostGIS.
>
> That extension was going to cost us AU$2500 per seat, and it
> had a number of obvious bugs, so it was not an attractive
> route.
>
> With the 9.1 release, ESRI have bundled the Data Interoperability
> Package into the core product - no extra licensing fee.
> Also Safe Software (authors of the Interop. extension)
> were busily working on fixes to the bugs in the extension last year.
>
> I haven't tried using PostGIS from ArcGIS 9.1, but it sounds like all of the
> pieces may be in place to make it work.
>
> Cheers,
> Guy Carpenter
> Atherton Tablelands GIS
> http://atgis.com.au
>

>   _____

Asger Petersen
> With the 9.1 release, ESRI have bundled the Data Interoperability
> Package into the core product - no extra licensing fee.
> Also Safe Software (authors of the Interop. extension)
> were busily working on fixes to the bugs in the extension last year.
>
> I haven't tried using PostGIS from ArcGIS 9.1, but it sounds like all
of
> the
> pieces may be in place to make it work.

Hi
When activating the Data Interoperability extension in ArcGIS 9.1 it
says:

"The ArcGIS Data Interoperability extension, a new extension introduced
after the release of 9.0, is now part of the ArcGIS Desktop setup and so
no longer has to be installed separately. A license still has to be
purchased to use this extension."

It is possible to try it out for free for 60 days. I haven't tried it
yet, but a friend of mine has tried and his ArcGIS crashes every time he
tries to establish a PostGIS connection.

Well, it sounded really good, but...

/Asger Petersen

RE: Interested in PostGIS for a replacement to ArcSDE

Ryan Proulx
On behalf of the VP Development at Safe Software: (makers of FME and the ArcGIS Data Interop)

Hello PostGIS users,

Thanks for your interest in using the ArcGIS Data Interop with PostGIS.  As some of you have noted, the PostGIS reader in the Data Interop (and FME) does NOT support PostGIS 1.0 very well.  Several things changed rather drastically with the 1.0 release, and we at Safe did not recognize the extent of the problem until after both FME 2005 and the ArcGIS Interop 9.1 were released.

We have been working hard in the past weeks to bring our support of PostGIS 1.0 up to snuff, and will soon have this available for testing in FME 2006 betas.  The FME 2006 betas can also extend ArcGIS in a similar manner as the Data Interop, so if anyone wants to try out our latest PostGIS 1.0 support, we'd be pleased to give you a long evaluation license to do so.  Just drop me an email and I will set that up for you.

We are also exploring the options about getting the revised PostGIS support available as a patch to FME 2005 and ArcGIS 9.1 Data Interop, but the extent of the changes required may make this impractical.

Dale

Dale Lutz              Safe Software Inc.                 [hidden email]
VP Development         Surrey, BC, CANADA        phone: (604) 501-9985
                       http://www.safe.com         fax: (604) 501-9965

ryan

RE: Interested in PostGIS for a replacement to ArcSDE

Guy Carpenter

Awww, rats.  Compare that to this press release:
http://www.esri.com/news/arcnews/fall04articles/arcgis9-plans.html

"The ArcGIS Schematics and ArcGIS Data Interoperability extensions,
 which are already available for the 9.0 release, will become fully
 integrated in the core ArcGIS software at the 9.1 release."

I guess this is a new use of the phrase "fully integrated" that I've
been previously unaware of.

In October last year I also explored the pgoledb
development project at
        http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/oledb
hoping to use it as glue between ArcGIS and PostGIS.
I was unable to make ArcGIS play nicely with pgoledb.
I determined that ArcGIS was talking to the driver,
but I was never able to open a data source.

Guy Carpenter
Atherton Tablelands GIS
http://atgis.com.au

> With the 9.1 release, ESRI have bundled the Data Interoperability
> Package into the core product - no extra licensing fee.
> Also Safe Software (authors of the Interop. extension) were busily
> working on fixes to the bugs in the extension last year.
>
> I haven't tried using PostGIS from ArcGIS 9.1, but it sounds like all
of
> the
> pieces may be in place to make it work.

Hi
When activating the Data Interoperability extension in ArcGIS 9.1 it
says:

"The ArcGIS Data Interoperability extension, a new extension introduced
after the release of 9.0, is now part of the ArcGIS Desktop setup and so no
longer has to be installed separately. A license still has to be purchased
to use this extension."

It is possible to try it out for free for 60 days. I haven't tried it yet,
but a friend of mine has tried and his ArcGIS crashes every time he tries to
establish a PostGIS connection.

Well, it sounded really good, but...

/Asger Petersen

RE: Interested in PostGIS for a replacement to ArcSDE

Randy George
        In some scenarios, especially those involving web interfaces, you
might consider dropping ESRI and switching to some other interface based on
open standards. There are some alternatives like svg+xml, MapServer, JUMP
which have active communities. PostGIS can do all the heavy lifting
geospatial work and the middle tier can be a customized interface based on
w3c and OGC standards.
        You can save on license aggravation and have a much more interactive
interface with the additional assurance that the standard is not going to be
moved out from under you with the next release.