Installing an addon in winGRASS 7.0 for complete dummy

Installing an addon in winGRASS 7.0 for complete dummy

Evan Thoms
Hello there,
I have installed GRASS 7.0 on 64 bit Windows 7 and cannot figure out how to install an addon, specifically r.geomorphon. As far as I can tell, it should be possible to run 'Fetch' from the 'Fetch and install extension from GRASS Addons' dialog, find the extension, and install it. But when I click 'Fetch' the dialog never comes back with a list. I just see 'Fetching list of modules...' at the bottom and nothing ever happens.

And the instructions under 'Addons' on http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install are beyond my comprehension as are all of the search results I have come up with so far. I am afraid I need very basic instructions.

Thanks
Evan

--
Evan Thoms
USGS, Alaska Science Center

Re: Installing an addon in winGRASS 7.0 for complete dummy

hamish-2
Evan wrote:
> Hello there, I have installed GRASS 7.0 on 64 bit Windows 7
> and cannot figure out how to install an addon, specifically
> r.geomorphon.

Hi,

since most Windows computers don't have a common compiler and
building environment built in, what we do (i.e. Martin L. does)
is run a script every night to build many of the addon modules
for Windows, then the addon installer in GRASS detects that it
is running on Windows and tries to download the prebuilt module
instead of building it from scratch as would happen on the
multitude of UNIX variants. A list of "published" modules ready
for public consumption is maintained in the addons repository,
in this case r.geomorphon wasn't on the list, so wasn't available
from the Windows download site. I've just added it to that list,
try again in 4-6 hours from now.

> But when I click 'Fetch' the dialog never comes back
> with a list. I just see 'Fetching list of modules...'
> at the bottom and nothing ever happens.

I'd guess that the error-detection code in the extension
manager could use a few more checks for possible failure
scenarios.

it looks like an interesting module, an improvement on
r.param.scale's "feature" method.

Hamish

Re: Installing an addon in winGRASS 7.0 for complete dummy

Rebecca Bennett
Hello all,

I am also attempting to access add-on in Windows GRASS7 for the first time and simply get an error box with "unable to install extensions" when I run g.extension.

Any ideas what I missed?

Kind regards,
Rebecca

On Wednesday, 24 April 2013, 4:17, Hamish <[hidden email]> wrote:
Evan wrote:
> Hello there, I have installed GRASS 7.0 on 64 bit Windows 7
> and cannot figure out how to install an addon, specifically
> r.geomorphon.

Hi,

since most Windows computers don't have a common compiler and
building environment built in, what we do (i.e. Martin L. does)
is run a script every night to build many of the addon modules
for Windows, then the addon installer in GRASS detects that it
is running on Windows and tries to download the prebuilt module
instead of building it from scratch as would happen on the
multitude of UNIX variants. A list of "published" modules ready
for public consumption is maintained in the addons repository,
in this case r.geomorphon wasn't on the list, so wasn't available
from the Windows download site. I've just added it to that list,
try again in 4-6 hours from now.

> But when I click 'Fetch' the dialog never comes back
> with a list. I just see 'Fetching list of modules...'
> at the bottom and nothing ever happens.

I'd guess that the error-detection code in the extension
manager could use a few more checks for possible failure
scenarios.

it looks like an interesting module, an improvement on
r.param.scale's "feature" method.

Hamish

Re: Installing an addon in winGRASS 7.0 for complete dummy

Martin Landa
Hi,

2013/11/5 Rebecca Bennett <[hidden email]>:
> I am also attempting to access add-on in Windows GRASS7 for the first time
> and simply get an error box with "unable to install extensions" when I run
> g.extension.
>
> Any ideas what I missed?

this is a known issue [1] . Unfortunately there is no progress in this issue.

You can install extension from wxGUI command line by entering

g.extension ext=<name of extension>

Martin

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2013-October/065937.html

Re: Installing an addon in winGRASS 7.0 for complete dummy

Rebecca Bennett
Sorry I missed that conversation in my search of the archive - thank you for the pointer!
Rebecca

On Tuesday, 5 November 2013, 13:30, Martin Landa <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

2013/11/5 Rebecca Bennett <[hidden email]>:
> I am also attempting to access add-on in Windows GRASS7 for the first time
> and simply get an error box with "unable to install extensions" when I run
> g.extension.
>
> Any ideas what I missed?

this is a known issue [1] . Unfortunately there is no progress in this issue.

You can install extension from wxGUI command line by entering

g.extension ext=<name of extension>

Martin

[1]
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2013-October/065937.html

Re: Installing an addon in winGRASS 7.0 for complete dummy

Catlike
Sir,

     I entered the command as you suggested [g.extension ext=<r.viewshed>] but I got an error message saying the command syntax is wrong.

     How should the syntax be typed differently?

     Thank you.

Re: Installing an addon in winGRASS 7.0 for complete dummy

Anna Petrášová

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 12:11 AM, Catlike <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sir,

     I entered the command as you suggested [g.extension ext=<r.viewshed>]
but I got an error message saying the command syntax is wrong.

     How should the syntax be typed differently?

     Thank you.

just

g.extension ext=r.viewshed

Anna

Re: Installing r.viewshed addon in winGRASS 7.0 for complete dummy

Catlike
Anna,

     Thank you. I did finally figure out how to get a command line window, and I entered the command you said, precisely.
     This error message resulted:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\OSGeo4W\bin>g.extension ext=r.viewshed
which: svn: unknown command

GRASS_INFO_ERROR(5192,1): svn client required. Please install Subversion first.
GRASS_INFO_END(5192,1)

      I protest -- I have installed Subversion! Is there a way to work around this? Thank you.

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Catlike <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anna,

     Thank you. I did finally figure out how to get a command line window,
and I entered the command you said, precisely.
     This error message resulted:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\OSGeo4W\bin>g.extension ext=r.viewshed
which: svn: unknown command

GRASS_INFO_ERROR(5192,1): svn client required. Please install Subversion
first.
GRASS_INFO_END(5192,1)

      I protest -- I have installed Subversion! Is there a way to work
around this? Thank you.

I just realized r.viewshed is already in GRASS (version 7), it's addon only for GRASS 6. So you can just type r.viewshed in the GUI Command Console and it should launch (if you have GRASS 7 installed).

I am not really sure about the subversion thing...

Anna