Installation on server with low memory

robertdbuckley
Hi,

i`m installing  geoserver in tomcat7 on an Ubuntu 12.04 Server with only 512mb RAM

This all went fine, but now tomcat7 crashes even before geoserver can be started. Simply a matter of memory.

I have set the max/min PermGen to 512 and Xms /Xmx also to 512.

Is there any possible way to run geoserver on so little memory?

thanks for any tips or tricks

Robert

Yours with thanks, Robert Buckley System: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Server / Tomcat6 / Geoserver 2.1.2 / GeoWebCache 1.2.6)

Re: Installation on server with low memory

Imran Rajjad
Hi Robert,

Refer to

http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/production/index.html

regards,
Imran

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Robert Buckley
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i`m installing  geoserver in tomcat7 on an Ubuntu 12.04 Server with only
> 512mb RAM
>
> This all went fine, but now tomcat7 crashes even before geoserver can be
> started. Simply a matter of memory.
>
> I have set the max/min PermGen to 512 and Xms /Xmx also to 512.
>
> Is there any possible way to run geoserver on so little memory?
>
> thanks for any tips or tricks
>
> Robert

I.R

Re: Installation on server with low memory

robertdbuckley
Thanks for the link.

I am aware of the production environment settings. I also know that it is recommended to use 1gb upwards of RAM.

I was looking for a few tips or tricks regarding running in a sub-optimal environment. I have set tomcat7 JAVA_OPTS as written in the production documentation
but geoserver still crashes after a few seconds.

INFO: validateJarFile(/var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/geoserver/WEB-INF/lib/servlet-api-2.5.jar) - jar not loaded. See Servlet Spec 2.3, section 9.7.2. Offending class: javax/servlet/Servlet.class
log4j:WARN File option not set for appender [geoserverlogfile].
log4j:WARN Are you using FileAppender instead of ConsoleAppender?
04 Oct 06:51:29 WARN [config.CustomEditorConfigurer] - Passing PropertyEditor instances into CustomEditorConfigurer is deprecated: use PropertyEditorRegistrars or PropertyEditor class names instead. Offending key [org.geotools.util.Version; offending editor instance: org.geoserver.platform.util.VersionPropertyEditor@7115106a
Oct 04, 2012 6:51:30 AM org.geoserver.platform.GeoServerExtensions checkContext
SEVERE: Extension lookup occured, but ApplicationContext is unset.
04 Oct 06:51:30 ERROR [geoserver.global] -
----------------------------------
- GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR: /home/geoadmin/geoserver_data_dir/data

This the end of catalina.out

maybe there is another issue here.

yours,

Rob

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i`m installing  geoserver in tomcat7 on an Ubuntu 12.04 Server with only
> 512mb RAM
>
> This all went fine, but now tomcat7 crashes even before geoserver can be
> started. Simply a matter of memory.
>
> I have set the max/min PermGen to 512 and Xms /Xmx also to 512.
>
> Is there any possible way to run geoserver on so little memory?
>
> thanks for any tips or tricks
>
> Robert

I.R

Yours with thanks, Robert Buckley System: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Server / Tomcat6 / Geoserver 2.1.2 / GeoWebCache 1.2.6)

Re: Installation on server with low memory

cmaul
Robert,

first remove every service you do not need, no WPS, no format that you do not access, only datbases you need try to make the installation as lean as possible.
Next starting with 128 MB PermGen/MaxPermGen, (may be even 96 MB) and go up in 32MB steps, if 128 does not suffice. Try to minimise the PermGen. Give as much as you can to the heap.
There was a link on this list from somebody pointing to:
http://opengeo.org/publications/geoserver-production/
which is a nice summary of geoserver configuration for production.

Then monitor the memory use of the VM :

-Xloggc:somewhere\gc.log
-XX:+PrintGCDetails

I do appreciate the sportsmanship of this attempt to get away with 512 MB RAM, however, compared to the work involved isn't it cheaper to go to to the next shop get some RAM and stuff it in the box?

Cheers

Christian

____________________________

Dr Christian Maul
Project Manager

Information Services Branch
Department Environment and Primary Industries
Level13, Marland House, 570 Bourke Street
Melbourne 3000

PO Box 500, East Melbourne Vic 3002

Telephone:        +61-3-8636 2325
Telefax:              +61-3-8636 2813

Re: Installation on server with low memory

David Winslow-5
You probably don't need 512MB for PermGen.  If I needed to run GeoServer in 512MB of RAM, I would start by setting JAVA_OPTS like: "-Xmx128M -XX:MaxPermSize=192M" and reducing the size of the Tomcat thread pool (to limit the number of concurrent requests GeoServer will try to serve. You can also do this in a more fine-grained way with the control-flow module:
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/extensions/controlflow/index.html, but that would be adding more code and contributing to the pressure on PermGen.)

You can also use JConsole or JVisualVM to keep an eye on memory usage.  This is probably most effective if you are also controlling a client, so you can correlate increases in memory consumption with operations (and then configure GeoServer not to offer those operations if you don't need them.)
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/management/jconsole.html
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/share/jvisualvm.html

Note that both JConsole and JVisualVM can operate through an SSH tunnel, so you don't need to expend much of the server's RAM on running them.

--
David Winslow
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/

-----

Dr Christian Maul
Project Manager

Information Services Branch
Department of Sustainability and Environment
Level13, Marland House, 570 Bourke Street
Melbourne 3000

PO Box 500, East Melbourne Vic 3002

Telephone:        <a href="tel:%2B61-3-8636%202325" value="+61386362325">+61-3-8636 2325
Telefax:              <a href="tel:%2B61-3-8636%202813" value="+61386362813">+61-3-8636 2813