Install Quick Map Services Plugin in Ubuntu 18.04

Install Quick Map Services Plugin in Ubuntu 18.04

J. M
Hi there,

and I can't get past step 2. I followed the link and downloaded QMS, but I can't for the life of me get it to install. I moved it from Downloads into usr/bin and then extracted it to create a folder. The 'readme' files might as well be written in Mandarin (of which I'm not a speaker..).

Could anyone please help me with how to install the plugin?

Cheers,
Jimi.

10.2.1. basic Follow Along: The QuickMapServices Plugin

The QuickMapServices plugin is a simple and easy to use plugin that adds base maps to your QGIS project. It has many different options and settings, let’s start to explore some of its features.

  1. Start a new map and add the roads layer from the training_data Geopackage.

  2. Install the QuickMapServices plugin.

  3. Open the plugin’s search tab by clicking on Web ‣ QuickMapServices ‣ Search QMS. This option of the plugin allows you to filter the available base maps by the current extent of the map canvas.

  4. Click on the Filter by extent and you should see one service available.

  5. Click on the Add button next to the map to load it.

  6. The base map will be loaded and you will have a satellite background for the map.

Re: Install Quick Map Services Plugin in Ubuntu 18.04

Matthias Kuhn 🌍

Hi Jimi,

You need to install the plugin from within QGIS. No need to directly download it from anywhere yourself.

See https://docs.qgis.org/3.4/en/docs/training_manual/qgis_plugins/fetching_plugins.html

Does that help?

Cheers

Matthias

On 9/27/19 7:54 PM, J. M wrote:
[...]

Hi Matthias,

Thanks a lot! I figured that out from another tutorial shortly afterwards, sorry! I didn't realise you could install plugins from within QGIS; I assumed I had to download, install and dpkg them or something!

Cheers!
Jimi.