Instalation questions from Newbie

David Marquardt
Hello,

I´m installing the ms4w, on a Windows XP system.  I´m a complete novice.

I set my local URL as http://127.0.0.1:8010/ , since the installer asked for a place to set the apache, I selected the port 8010.

When going over the Features two (major) items have problems:
-When opening cgi-bin/mapserv.exe, the result is: "No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING is set, but empty."
-for owtchart.exe, the page will not open.
I looked in the files on the C: , both are there in their proper location (C:\ms4w\Apache\cgi-bin)  the Mapserver is only 27KB.  Is that correct?
As well, I downloaded the Chameleon, which now appeares in the MS4W main index.html.  Chameleon appears in the apps file, and the httpd.d is updated. Unfortunately, when I go to the index, and click on the links, none of them are activated.

Any ideas, or hunches that I should explore would be appreciated.

David

--
David Marquardt
Asociación Nahual

Re: Instalation questions from Newbie

Jeff McKenna-2
David,

My comments are inline below:

David Marquardt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I´m installing the ms4w, on a Windows XP system.  I´m a complete novice.
>
> I set my local URL as http://127.0.0.1:8010/ , since the installer asked
> for a place to set the apache, I selected the port 8010.
>
> When going over the Features two (major) items have problems:
> -When opening cgi-bin/mapserv.exe, the result is: "No query information
> to decode. QUERY_STRING is set, but empty."

That's not an error.  It's MapServer in CGI mode saying that more
information is needed to create a map.  In fact that message tells you
that MapServer *is* installed correctly on your machine.

For a beginner, I recommend that you go through the MapServer 5.x
tutorial (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/tutorial/tutorial)

> -for owtchart.exe, the page will not open.
> I looked in the files on the C: , both are there in their proper
> location (C:\ms4w\Apache\cgi-bin)  the Mapserver is only 27KB.  Is that
> correct?
> As well, I downloaded the Chameleon, which now appeares in the MS4W main
> index.html.  Chameleon appears in the apps file, and the httpd.d is
> updated. Unfortunately, when I go to the index, and click on the links,
> none of them are activated.

ah I know what is happening: you used the setup.exe installer, probably
installed it in a directory other the root of a drive, and the problem
is that the chameleon.zip package (and all ms4w add-on packages) is
configured for the root of the drive.  Until the next generation of ms4w
comes along (called OSGeo4w), you might just want to install ms4w and
all of its add-on packages at the root of your drive.

-jeff

Re: Instalation questions from Newbie

Jeff McKenna-2
Sorry David, I just noticed that you mentioned C:\ms4w\ in your message,
so you already have it installed at the root.  hmm.  Have you tried
restarting Apache and seeing if that makes a difference?

-jeff