Info on German datum KS 42 ?

Mikael Rittri-2
Hello,
Is there anyone who can tell me more about the geodetic
datum KS 42, which may or may not be the same thing
as KS 42/83.

It seems to be used in Germany.

The only hard facts I have found on the web
is a 3-parameter transform at
http://www.semtech.com/pc/downloadDocument.do?navId=H0,C1,C193,P2675&id=
843
which says

region         datum  Reference  ID   dX       dY         dZ
Germany (FRG)  KS42   KS         16  22.8615  -114.7262  -95.8874

but I cannot use this without knowing the ellipsoid
size and shape.  And I would also like to know the
accuracy of the transform, and a more official source
for the datum.

Best regards,
   Mikael Rittri, Carmenta AB, Sweden

AW: Info on German datum KS 42 ?

Uwe Schmitz-2
Mikael,

> Hello,
> Is there anyone who can tell me more about the geodetic
> datum KS 42, which may or may not be the same thing
> as KS 42/83.
>
> It seems to be used in Germany.
>
> The only hard facts I have found on the web
> is a 3-parameter transform at
> http://www.semtech.com/pc/downloadDocument.do?navId=H0,C1,C193,P2675&id=843
> which says
>
> region         datum  Reference  ID   dX       dY         dZ
> Germany (FRG)  KS42   KS         16  22.8615  -114.7262  -95.8874
>
> but I cannot use this without knowing the ellipsoid
> size and shape.  And I would also like to know the
> accuracy of the transform, and a more official source
> for the datum.

a good site for such information is http://crs.bkg.bund.de/crs-eu
It takes getting used to, but there are many informations
concerning europe crs's.

For your special case, select "CRS Description" in the menu
on the right and then "national CRS". Select "Germany" in the
list or on the map. The next page contains "DE_42/83/GK_3"
as CRS, which seems to be the one you've searched for.

Hope that helps,
Uwe