Imagemosaic spanning the dateline

Phil Scadden

Before I waste a lot of time on something impossible, I thought I would ask whether it is okay to have an image mosaic that crosses the dateline. None of the granules cross the 180 (more accurately, the data is split into tiles that don’t cross the 180), but the mosaic itself will span a big hunk of the SW Pacific. CRS is 3857 for each tile. The reason I ask is the LL, UR coordinates for an envelope2d would violate the common assumption that LL x is < LR x that flat-earthers are so used to.

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential and may not be used, published or redistributed without the prior written consent of the Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences Limited (GNS Science). If received in error please destroy and immediately notify GNS Science. Do not copy or disclose the contents.

Re: Imagemosaic spanning the dateline

geowolf
Hi Phil,
we have done that in the past, even with granules spanning the dateline, using a heterogeneous CRS
setup (each image in its own UTM zone, the ones crossing the dateline in UTM 1 or 60).
That said, it's always tricky, so I won't promise it will work in your case.

Having the source CRS in 3857, that will surely be source of troubles if someone asks the map in output
in 4326, last time I stumbled in that case if the client asked for the entire globe to be displayed in 4326
the envelope reprojection would fail

Cheers
Andrea

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 2:35 AM Phil Scadden <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

That is encouraging. Trying it if I can figure the REST. While there is no accounting for some random consumer might request, any sensible query isn’t going to ask for the raster in anything but 3857 and it would make no sense outside SW Pacific.

Re: Imagemosaic spanning the dateline

Phil Scadden

After a bit of battle getting disk provisioning, I have now successfully built an imagemozaic in EPSG:3857 which does cover both sides of the dateline. If I use “tiled” in getmap requests, it returns imagery for one side the dateline – if dateline is not in frame, you can get imagery for either side, but moment you have datetime in frame, then you get one side or other. I am about to analyse the getmap requests buts when I look in the logs, I see it is full of WARN message like this:

2018-12-11 09:52:09,214 WARN [lite.gridcoverage2d] - Could not reduce the grid geometry inside the valid area bounds: ReferencedEnvelope[-1.7976931348623157E308 : 1.7976931348623157E308, -85.0 : 85.0]

Grid geometry isGridGeometry2D[GridEnvelope2D[0..1063, 0..1063], PARAM_MT["Affine",

  PARAMETER["num_row", 3],

  PARAMETER["num_col", 3],

  PARAMETER["elt_0_0", 9.554628534313876],

  PARAMETER["elt_0_2", 19841652.786989305],

  PARAMETER["elt_1_1", -9.554628534317445],

  PARAMETER["elt_1_2", -4118861.8190303175]]]

The messages vary in terms of the elt_ parameters and the GridEnvelope2D content, but ALWAYS have ReferencedEnvelope[-1.7976931348623157E308 : 1.7976931348623157E308, -85.0 : 85.0]

The lat/long bounding box on the layer is -179.999999 -60.23 179.999999999999 -19.3111

Can anyone tell me what the WARN message is about? (or should I give up now and create 2 imagemozaics, one for each side of the dateline).

That is encouraging. Trying it if I can figure the REST. While there is no accounting for some random consumer might request, any sensible query isn’t going to ask for the raster in anything but 3857 and it would make no sense outside SW Pacific.

Re: Imagemosaic spanning the dateline

Phil Scadden

So with dateline east of the map centre line:

https://data.gns.cri.nz/webmaps/petroleum/wms?service=WMS&request=GetMap&layers=gns%3Aswath&styles=&format=image%2Fpng&transparent=true&version=1.1.1&tiled=true&showOnSelector=false&height=256&width=256&srs=EPSG%3A3857&bbox=17532819.79994059,-5009377.085697311,18785164.07136492,-3757032.8142729844

returns nothing.

https://data.gns.cri.nz/webmaps/petroleum/wms?service=WMS&request=GetMap&layers=gns%3Aswath&styles=&format=image%2Fpng&transparent=true&version=1.1.1&tiled=true&showOnSelector=false&height=256&width=256&srs=EPSG%3A3857&bbox=-20037508.342789244,-5009377.085697311,-18785164.07136492,-3757032.8142729844

returns a tile.

Zoom into the western side and suddenly:

https://data.gns.cri.nz/webmaps/petroleum/wms?service=WMS&request=GetMap&layers=gns%3Aswath&styles=&format=image%2Fpng&transparent=true&version=1.1.1&tiled=true&showOnSelector=false&height=256&width=256&srs=EPSG%3A3857&bbox=18941707.105292957,-3600489.7803449426,19098250.139220998,-3443946.7464169012

does return a tile.

Beyond me why location of mapframe and zoom make a difference. Even when map frame is exclusively to west, only see tiles when I start to zoom in. the request URLs look correct to me and format unaffected by frame.

No granule in the mosaic crosses the dateline.

That is encouraging. Trying it if I can figure the REST. While there is no accounting for some random consumer might request, any sensible query isn’t going to ask for the raster in anything but 3857 and it would make no sense outside SW Pacific.

Re: Imagemosaic spanning the dateline

Phil Scadden

Any insight at all into the warning message would help. (Like what was code trying to do when it generated it).

That is encouraging. Trying it if I can figure the REST. While there is no accounting for some random consumer might request, any sensible query isn’t going to ask for the raster in anything but 3857 and it would make no sense outside SW Pacific.

Re: Imagemosaic spanning the dateline

Lubomír Bucek
Good evening,
I have also stumbled into probably the same issue trying to build a layer spanning across the dateline seamlessly. If this is not related, please correct me. I do not possess any Java skills to spot the bug in code neither fix it and therefore tried to document what I have tried on GeoServer side - to no success so far.
https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/browse/GEOS-9059
It could be used as a steppingstone for someone later.

Best,
Lubomír Bucek

Any insight at all into the warning message would help. (Like what was code trying to do when it generated it).

That is encouraging. Trying it if I can figure the REST. While there is no accounting for some random consumer might request, any sensible query isn’t going to ask for the raster in anything but 3857 and it would make no sense outside SW Pacific.

Re: Imagemosaic spanning the dateline

Phil Scadden

That looks very much what I see and the same warnings (also generating requests with Leaflet) ! This isn’t the first time I have hit this with rasters but first time using image mosaic. In past I have worked around by building two separate source, one for east, one for west. Then created a layer group from both of them and serve that.  I have major new rebuild of the rasters due jan, and if no progress, I will adopt that approach. It is pretty bizarre however.

---------- Původní e-mail ----------
Od: Phil Scadden <[hidden email]>
Komu: GeoServer Mailing List List <[hidden email]>
Datum: 13. 12. 2018 0:00:41

Any insight at all into the warning message would help. (Like what was code trying to do when it generated it).

That is encouraging. Trying it if I can figure the REST. While there is no accounting for some random consumer might request, any sensible query isn’t going to ask for the raster in anything but 3857 and it would make no sense outside SW Pacific.

Re: Imagemosaic spanning the dateline

Lubomír Bucek
Unfortunately, even creating two separate single tiff raster sources (left and right), where one is approximately -180, 0 and second approximately 0,180, does not work in my case. The results look the same as on pictures attached to the jira issue. No raster colorization for last metatile.

Od: Phil Scadden <[hidden email]>
Komu: GeoServer Mailing List List <[hidden email]>
Datum: 13. 12. 2018 0:00:41