Imagemosaic: Input Transparent Color for 32bit tifs

Imagemosaic: Input Transparent Color for 32bit tifs

Sabine Ohlendorf
Dear List,

I am using Geoserver 2.7.5. I want to create a layer out of several geotiffs so I created an imagemosaic. The geotiffs are 32bit tifs an I want to colorize them using Geoserver Styles. The single tifs overlap at the edges and partly have no data values there which appear in the mosaic. To avoid that I wanted to set the "Input Transparent Color". But when setting a value I get an Error:

org.geotools.data.DataSourceException: Unable to create this mosaic
        at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterLayerResponse.prepareResponse(RasterLayerResponse.java:1336)
        at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterLayerResponse.processRequest(RasterLayerResponse.java:1226)
        at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterLayerResponse.createResponse(RasterLayerResponse.java:1192)
        at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterManager.read(RasterManager.java:1153)
        at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.ImageMosaicReader.read(ImageMosaicReader.java:874)
        at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.ImageMosaicReader.read(ImageMosaicReader.java:853)
        at org.geoserver.catalog.SingleGridCoverage2DReader.read(SingleGridCoverage2DReader.java:147)
        at org.geoserver.catalog.CoverageDimensionCustomizerReader.read(CoverageDimensionCustomizerReader.java:227)
        at org.geoserver.catalog.CoverageDimensionCustomizerReader.read(CoverageDimensionCustomizerReader.java:217)
        at org.geoserver.wms.featureinfo.RasterLayerIdentifier.identify(RasterLayerIdentifier.java:170)
        at org.geoserver.wms.GetFeatureInfo.execute(GetFeatureInfo.java:78)
        at org.geoserver.wms.GetFeatureInfo.run(GetFeatureInfo.java:44)
        ... 107 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unsupported data type.
        at org.geotools.image.ImageWorker.makeColorTransparent(ImageWorker.java:1848)
        at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterLayerResponse.createBlankResponse(RasterLayerResponse.java:1675)
        at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterLayerResponse.prepareResponse(RasterLayerResponse.java:1333)
        ... 118 more

It seems it is not possible to set the InputTransparentColor for 32bit images which seems logical. But how can I get a similar setting for 32bit images?

Regards,
Sabine

Re: Imagemosaic: Input Transparent Color for 32bit tifs

Simone Giannecchini
Ciao Sabine,
as you noticed the XXXTransparentColor settings do not apply to "real"
data (float, double, 16bits etc...).

Wit the latest versions of GeoServer (2.8.x and on if my memory serves
me right) if you enable JAI-Ext there should be proper support for
nodata introduced, hence you simply have to make sure your data
reports nodata properly.

Maybe some sample data could help identifying this issue.

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
==
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
==
Ing. Simone Giannecchini
@simogeo
Founder/Director

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003
nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate.
Il loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del
messaggio, per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora
riceviate questo messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo
cortesemente di darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla
distruzione del messaggio stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema.
Conservare il messaggio stesso, divulgarlo anche in parte,
distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od utilizzarlo per finalità
diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai principi dettati dal
D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely
for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be
confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of
privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New
Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any
disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either
dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except
previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by
telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message
that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty
or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent
messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they
were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission, viruses, etc.

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Sabine Ohlendorf
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I am using Geoserver 2.7.5. I want to create a layer out of several geotiffs so I created an imagemosaic. The geotiffs are 32bit tifs an I want to colorize them using Geoserver Styles. The single tifs overlap at the edges and partly have no data values there which appear in the mosaic. To avoid that I wanted to set the "Input Transparent Color". But when setting a value I get an Error:
>
> org.geotools.data.DataSourceException: Unable to create this mosaic
>         at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterLayerResponse.prepareResponse(RasterLayerResponse.java:1336)
>         at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterLayerResponse.processRequest(RasterLayerResponse.java:1226)
>         at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterLayerResponse.createResponse(RasterLayerResponse.java:1192)
>         at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterManager.read(RasterManager.java:1153)
>         at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.ImageMosaicReader.read(ImageMosaicReader.java:874)
>         at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.ImageMosaicReader.read(ImageMosaicReader.java:853)
>         at org.geoserver.catalog.SingleGridCoverage2DReader.read(SingleGridCoverage2DReader.java:147)
>         at org.geoserver.catalog.CoverageDimensionCustomizerReader.read(CoverageDimensionCustomizerReader.java:227)
>         at org.geoserver.catalog.CoverageDimensionCustomizerReader.read(CoverageDimensionCustomizerReader.java:217)
>         at org.geoserver.wms.featureinfo.RasterLayerIdentifier.identify(RasterLayerIdentifier.java:170)
>         at org.geoserver.wms.GetFeatureInfo.execute(GetFeatureInfo.java:78)
>         at org.geoserver.wms.GetFeatureInfo.run(GetFeatureInfo.java:44)
>         ... 107 more
> Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unsupported data type.
>         at org.geotools.image.ImageWorker.makeColorTransparent(ImageWorker.java:1848)
>         at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterLayerResponse.createBlankResponse(RasterLayerResponse.java:1675)
>         at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterLayerResponse.prepareResponse(RasterLayerResponse.java:1333)
>         ... 118 more
>
> It seems it is not possible to set the InputTransparentColor for 32bit images which seems logical. But how can I get a similar setting for 32bit images?
>
> Regards,
> Sabine

Re: Imagemosaic: Input Transparent Color for 32bit tifs

Sabine Ohlendorf
Hi Simone,

thank you for your message and sorry for late reply.
I will try to update to the new version of geoserver (2.8.x) and test.

How could I provide some sample data to you?
Regards,
Sabine

> [...]
> >         at org.geoserver.wms.GetFeatureInfo.execute(GetFeatureInfo.java:78)
> >         at org.geoserver.wms.GetFeatureInfo.run(GetFeatureInfo.java:44)
> >         ... 107 more
> > Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unsupported data type.
> >         at org.geotools.image.ImageWorker.makeColorTransparent(ImageWorker.java:1848)
> >         at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterLayerResponse.createBlankResponse(RasterLayerResponse.java:1675)
> >         at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterLayerResponse.prepareResponse(RasterLayerResponse.java:1333)
> >         ... 118 more
> >
> > It seems it is not possible to set the InputTransparentColor for 32bit images which seems logical. But how can I get a similar setting for 32bit images?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Sabine

Re: Imagemosaic: Input Transparent Color for 32bit tifs

open a jira report and attach some small sample data or a link to
dropbox or something like that which we can use.

We might give you an ftp server privately if needed.
Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
==
[...]

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Sabine Ohlendorf
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >         at org.geoserver.wms.GetFeatureInfo.execute(GetFeatureInfo.java:78)
>> >         at org.geoserver.wms.GetFeatureInfo.run(GetFeatureInfo.java:44)
>> >         ... 107 more
>> > Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unsupported data type.
>> >         at org.geotools.image.ImageWorker.makeColorTransparent(ImageWorker.java:1848)
>> >         at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterLayerResponse.createBlankResponse(RasterLayerResponse.java:1675)
>> >         at org.geotools.gce.imagemosaic.RasterLayerResponse.prepareResponse(RasterLayerResponse.java:1333)
>> >         ... 118 more
>> >
>> > It seems it is not possible to set the InputTransparentColor for 32bit images which seems logical. But how can I get a similar setting for 32bit images?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Sabine

Re: Imagemosaic: Input Transparent Color for 32bit tifs

Dear Simone,
as proposed I created a JIRA Issue for improvement on this topic:
https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/browse/GEOS-7856

Regards,
Sabine

> [...]
> >> privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New
> >> Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any
> >> disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either
> >> dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except
> >> previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the
> >> intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by
> >> telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message
> >> that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty
> >> or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent
> >> messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they
> >> were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail
> >> transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: Imagemosaic: Input Transparent Color for 32bit tifs

Dear Simone, Dear List,

to recall the problem:

It was recommended to use JAI-Ext for proper support for nodata:

> >> Wit the latest versions of GeoServer (2.8.x and on if my memory serves
> >> me right) if you enable JAI-Ext there should be proper support for
> >> nodata introduced, hence you simply have to make sure your data
> >> reports nodata properly.

Meanwhile I installed Geoserver 2.9.2 with JAI-Ext but the problem is still the same. Are there some settings I need to set for JAI-Extension?
I started Geoserver with JAI-Ext enabled.

Regards,
Sabine