ImagePyramid wont display as png

Mark Seibel
Hi.

I am using geoserver 2.10. Two geotiff files were converted with gdal to the imagePyramid format. One source is a DEM as a floating point geotiff, the other is shaded DEM as an unsigned int 16.

The imagePyramid that is floating point (DEM) will display in arcmap and QGIS just fine (also in the open layers preview).

The imagePyramid that is an unsigned int 16 (shaded DEM) wont display in arcmap or QGIS with PNG requests. If the image format is changed to JPG, then the image displays just fine. The imagePyramid displays fine with the open layers preview.

Since drag and drop in both arcmap and QGIS default to PNG, the PNG format is preferred.

Any ideas as to why png wont work but jpg does?

Much thanks,
Mark

Re: ImagePyramid wont display as png

Simone Giannecchini
Ciao Marc,
please, read below...

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
==
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
==
Ing. Simone Giannecchini
@simogeo
Founder/Director

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003
nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate.
Il loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del
messaggio, per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora
riceviate questo messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo
cortesemente di darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla
distruzione del messaggio stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema.
Conservare il messaggio stesso, divulgarlo anche in parte,
distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od utilizzarlo per finalità
diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai principi dettati dal
D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely
for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be
confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of
privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New
Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any
disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either
dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except
previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by
telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message
that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty
or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent
messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they
were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission, viruses, etc.

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 2:13 PM, Mark Seibel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am using geoserver 2.10. Two geotiff files were converted with gdal to the
> imagePyramid format.

Can you elaborate a bit on this? What did you do?

> One source is a DEM as a floating point geotiff, the
> other is shaded DEM as an unsigned int 16.
>
> The imagePyramid that is floating point (DEM) will display in arcmap and
> QGIS just fine (also in the open layers preview).
>

> The imagePyramid that is an unsigned int 16 (shaded DEM) wont display in
> arcmap or QGIS with PNG requests. If the image format is changed to JPG,
> then the image displays just fine. The imagePyramid displays fine with the
> open layers preview.

Can you elaborate more on what error you are seeing? Can you paste a
portion of the geoserver log that says what error you are getting?
You might also want to provide some sample data...

> Since drag and drop in both arcmap and QGIS default to PNG, the PNG format
> is preferred.
>
> Any ideas as to why png wont work but jpg does?

That's pretty strange. Let's see if the questions above help a little.

> Much thanks,
> Mark

Re: ImagePyramid wont display as png

Mark Seibel
Hi.

> I am using geoserver 2.10. Two geotiff files were converted with gdal to the
> imagePyramid format.

Can you elaborate a bit on this? What did you do?

I followed the instructions from http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/tutorials/imagepyramid/imagepyramid.html to create image pyramids for two files.

shaded_dem.tif is a UINT16 GeoTIFF.
dem.tif is a Float64 GeoTiff.

I used this command to create the shaded dem:  gdal_retile.py -v -ot UInt16 -levels 6 -ps 1024 1024 -co "TILED=YES" -targetDir shaded_dem shaded_dem.tif

I used this command to create the DEM: gdal_retile.py -v -levels 6 -ps 1024 1024 -co "TILED=YES" -targetDir dem dem.tif

> The imagePyramid that is an unsigned int 16 (shaded DEM) wont display in
> arcmap or QGIS with PNG requests. If the image format is changed to JPG,
> then the image displays just fine. The imagePyramid displays fine with the
> open layers preview.

Can you elaborate more on what error you are seeing? Can you paste a
portion of the geoserver log that says what error you are getting?
You might also want to provide some sample data...

When I drag/drop the WMS layer into ArcMap (similar in QGIS), I get this error "One or more layers failed to draw:

WMS:   WMS service exceptions:Service Error Description: java.lang.NullPointerException"

The partial geoserver log entry for this is:
RawKvp = {CRS=CRS:84, FORMAT=image/png, BGCOLOR=0xFEFFFF, STYLES=, WIDTH=776, HEIGHT=415, LAYERS=pioneer:shaded_dem_6_1024, EXCEPTIONS=XML, REQUEST=GetMap, BBOX=-82.065297930622009,27.37354735085324,-81.833941893673838,27.497431973257143, VERSION=1.3.0, SERVICE=WMS, TRANSPARENT=TRUE}
RequestCharset = UTF-8
2016-11-09 10:44:58,361 ERROR [geoserver.ows] -
java.lang.NullPointerException

If I then go into ArcMap and change the image type of the WMS to "JPG" from "PNG", the image renders correctly. In QGIS, when I load the WMS layer with PNG, it does not display (but I can click on it to get values). When I load the layer in QGIS using JPG, it renders properly.

I am not sure what is different between the two images other than their data type. One is floating64 and the other is UINT16.

Thanks
Mark

Re: ImagePyramid wont display as png

Simone Giannecchini
Ciao Mark,
we need a larger portion of the logs!

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Mark Seibel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> RawKvp = {CRS=CRS:84, FORMAT=image/png, BGCOLOR=0xFEFFFF, STYLES=,
> WIDTH=776, HEIGHT=415, LAYERS=pioneer:shaded_dem_6_1024, EXCEPTIONS=XML,
> REQUEST=GetMap,
> BBOX=-82.065297930622009,27.37354735085324,-81.833941893673838,27.497431973257143,
> VERSION=1.3.0, SERVICE=WMS, TRANSPARENT=TRUE}
> BaseUrl = http://mapping.ectinc.com:8080/geoserver/
> RequestCharset = UTF-8
> 2016-11-09 10:44:58,361 ERROR [geoserver.ows] -
> java.lang.NullPointerException

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
==
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
==
Ing. Simone Giannecchini
@simogeo
Founder/Director

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003
nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate.
Il loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del
messaggio, per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora
riceviate questo messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo
cortesemente di darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla
distruzione del messaggio stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema.
Conservare il messaggio stesso, divulgarlo anche in parte,
distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od utilizzarlo per finalità
diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai principi dettati dal
D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely
for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be
confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of
privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New
Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any
disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either
dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except
previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by
telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message
that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty
or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent
messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they
were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: ImagePyramid wont display as png

Mark Seibel
Hi.

Attached is a file with all the log information from the time the initial request was made.

Thanks!

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Simone Giannecchini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ciao Mark,
we need a larger portion of the logs!

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Mark Seibel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> RawKvp = {CRS=CRS:84, FORMAT=image/png, BGCOLOR=0xFEFFFF, STYLES=,
> WIDTH=776, HEIGHT=415, LAYERS=pioneer:shaded_dem_6_1024, EXCEPTIONS=XML,
> REQUEST=GetMap,
> BBOX=-82.065297930622009,27.37354735085324,-81.833941893673838,27.497431973257143,
> VERSION=1.3.0, SERVICE=WMS, TRANSPARENT=TRUE}
> BaseUrl = http://mapping.ectinc.com:8080/geoserver/
> RequestCharset = UTF-8
> 2016-11-09 10:44:58,361 ERROR [geoserver.ows] -
> java.lang.NullPointerException

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
==
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
==
Ing. Simone Giannecchini
@simogeo
Founder/Director

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313">+39 0584 962313
fax:     <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%201660272" value="+3905841660272">+39 0584 1660272
mob:   <a href="tel:%2B39%20%20333%208128928" value="+393338128928">+39 333 8128928

log_error (22K) Download Attachment

Re: ImagePyramid wont display as png

Mark Seibel
The log I sent has information in it for the working DEM (as imagePyramid) too.

At the top of the log, it shows the DEM in imagepyramid format being drawn OK.

But the "shaded DEM" layer is the one that comes up null.

I could parse the log file I just sent if it would help.

Thanks
Mark

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Mark Seibel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

Attached is a file with all the log information from the time the initial request was made.

Thanks!

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Simone Giannecchini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ciao Mark,
we need a larger portion of the logs!

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Mark Seibel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> RawKvp = {CRS=CRS:84, FORMAT=image/png, BGCOLOR=0xFEFFFF, STYLES=,
> WIDTH=776, HEIGHT=415, LAYERS=pioneer:shaded_dem_6_1024, EXCEPTIONS=XML,
> REQUEST=GetMap,
> BBOX=-82.065297930622009,27.37354735085324,-81.833941893673838,27.497431973257143,
> VERSION=1.3.0, SERVICE=WMS, TRANSPARENT=TRUE}
> BaseUrl = http://mapping.ectinc.com:8080/geoserver/
> RequestCharset = UTF-8
> 2016-11-09 10:44:58,361 ERROR [geoserver.ows] -
> java.lang.NullPointerException

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
==
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
==
Ing. Simone Giannecchini
@simogeo
Founder/Director

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
fax:     <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%201660272" value="+3905841660272" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272
mob:   <a href="tel:%2B39%20%20333%208128928" value="+393338128928" target="_blank">+39 333 8128928