Image coordinates (40400 with south oriented axis)

Image coordinates (40400 with south oriented axis)

Gregers Hedegaard Petersen
Hi all,

I need to serve images in a CRS that corresponds to the images coordinates - I saw an old thread on -devel, and tried epsg:40400 (should have been epsg:0 Andrea :-D). It does precisely what I want, except I need the image coordinates to have a south oriented Y-axis. I have tried to hack it using a custom CRS-definition in (simply changing the direction to SOUTH), but to no avail.

Can anyone give me a good pointer to how (and if) I can add a custom version, having true image-style coordinates - ie. (0,0) in upper left, X east oriented and Y south oriented?

Thanks,

Greg

Re: Image coordinates (40400 with south oriented axis)

geowolf
On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 2:06 PM Hans Gregers Hedegaard Petersen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I need to serve images in a CRS that corresponds to the images coordinates - I saw an old thread on -devel, and tried epsg:40400 (should have been epsg:0 Andrea :-D).

Good idea, but no can do sir, quoting "EPSG has reserved the integer range 0 to 32767 for use as codes."

It does precisely what I want, except I need the image coordinates to have a south oriented Y-axis. I have tried to hack it using a custom CRS-definition in (simply changing the direction to SOUTH), but to no avail.

Never tried, not sure there is a way to do that. Maybe trying to define a engineering CRS as the default one, and then visualize in another engineering CRS that has the Y axis
pointing the opposite direction?

Cheers
Andrea

==

GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549 http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it ------------------------------------------------------- Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: Image coordinates (40400 with south oriented axis)

Phil Scadden

We briefly entertained the idea of doing a south-orientated custom projection (people here working in Ross dependency think South pole should be towards top of map). This was abandoned very quickly because we need to combine images from multiple sources, including public AGS servers which of course would not support it. However, one idea that floated was for client to request images via a proxy (often doing that anyway) which rotated the image through 180, and hacking the client to order and place the images in right place. Not a trivial undertaking and still on our “to do sometime, maybe” list.

I need to serve images in a CRS that corresponds to the images coordinates - I saw an old thread on -devel, and tried epsg:40400 (should have been epsg:0 Andrea :-D). It does precisely what I want, except I need the image coordinates to have a south oriented Y-axis. I have tried to hack it using a custom CRS-definition in (simply changing the direction to SOUTH), but to no avail.

Can anyone give me a good pointer to how (and if) I can add a custom version, having true image-style coordinates - ie. (0,0) in upper left, X east oriented and Y south oriented?

Thanks,

Greg

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential and may not be used, published or redistributed without the prior written consent of the Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences Limited (GNS Science). If received in error please destroy and immediately notify GNS Science. Do not copy or disclose the contents.

Re: Image coordinates (40400 with south oriented axis)

Gregers Hedegaard Petersen

> We briefly entertained the idea of doing a south-orientated custom projection

So at least I am not the only one :-)

My current hack is actually flipping all images before serving them -
one could say, that it is a combination of your proxy and Andreas
suggestion.
It is a mess which I would love to be without though.

/Greg

Re: Image coordinates (40400 with south oriented axis)

Gregers Hedegaard Petersen
Hi all,

I thought I might just post a followup to the below, should anyone
have a similar problem later on.

> My current hack is actually flipping all images before serving them -
> one could say, that it is a combination of your proxy and Andreas
> suggestion.
> It is a mess which I would love to be without though.

We ended up doing a tiny custom WMS-implementation in Python serving
our images in CRS:1 (using Pillow and Flask).
Bending the rendering engine and projection-libraries seemed to
introduce more hassle than the value gained.
The 40400 EPSG/SRID/CRS was - as indicated in my previous posts -
almost enough though.

Cheers,

Greg