Idea: Crowd-sourcing a batch-georeferencer plugin with QR code ?

Idea: Crowd-sourcing a batch-georeferencer plugin with QR code ?

berndv.
Hi folks,

I am facing a project, where I will produce hundreds of field maps with
atlas from lots of small locations, which get printed for surveyors to
fill in observations in the field.
Getting them returned, I need to scan them, georeference them and finally
digitize the features found.
Alone thinking of the process of georeferencing all those scans (which
might only have tiny offsets and shifts because of lousy scanners) make me
wish to have chosen another profession ...

So here is the idea:
An atlas plugin, that will automatically distribute minimum 6 cross-hairs
(or other automatically identifiable features) around your atlas canvas.
A QR-Code is generated, which holds the coordinates, EPSG and name of the
atlasfeature, and which is put in some restricted area of the composer map.
Maps are printed, processed and scanned afterwards.
Batch-import all scans.
Another function reads the QR-Code of the scan, identifies to locator
features, gives them the proper coordinates and automatically creates
georeferenced tiff/png/jpg with the name of the atlas feature.

Sounds like a dream, but I think there should be enough dreamers around to
make this one true.

Any ideas if this will work, and how to start this endeavour?

Cheers,
Bernd

--
Bernd Vogelgesang
Siedlerstraße 2

Re: Idea: Crowd-sourcing a batch-georeferencer plugin with QR code ?

Saber Razmjooei
Maybe you can use a mobile/tablet device with (Q)GIS to collect data, so no need to georeferencing and digitizing.

Regards
Saber

On 3 Feb 2018 16:22, "Bernd Vogelgesang" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tel: <a href="tel:09133-825374" value="+449133825374" target="_blank">09133-825374

Re: Idea: Crowd-sourcing a batch-georeferencer plugin withQR code ?

Brent Fraser
Bernd,

  Have you looked at Field Papers?  http://fieldpapers.org/

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser

Re: Idea: Crowd-sourcing a batch-georeferencer plugin withQR code ?

Clifford Snow
Let me echo Brent Fraser suggestion to look at Field Papers, fieldpaper.org. They accomplish what you are looking for. Each page of the field paper has a QR code for georeferencing. Not only that they can be loaded in as a baselayer in OSM editors. The site fieldpapers.org has a simple walk through on how to go from nothing to pages loaded in for digitizing.

If you are going to use Field Papers with different surveyors from those who digitize the results, make sure you have a common understanding of symbols and notation the surveyors use. Otherwise digitizing may be limited.

Hope this helps.

Clifford

On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 10:12 AM, Brent Fraser <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: Idea: Crowd-sourcing a batch-georeferencer plugin withQR code ?

berndv.
Thanx guys for the hint,
but this is a "serious" project ;)

My detail maps I have to produce are scattered around an area of ca. 200 sqkm, I want to have the freedom to design everything I want to with overview maps for finding the spot, inserting already existing data etc.
So fieldpapers.org is nice, but doesn't bring me any convenience in my QGIS-workflows.

Cheers
Bernd

Am 03.02.2018, 19:57 Uhr, schrieb Clifford Snow <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Fwd: Re: Idea: Crowd-sourcing a batch-georeferencer plugin with QR code ?

berndv.

Re: Idea: Crowd-sourcing a batch-georeferencer plugin withQR code ?

Alex Mandel-2
I think you undervalue what's been done. See the code base, and
re-use/adapt whatever components you want. You can run your own custom
version.

https://github.com/fieldpapers

Could even integrate it with QGIS as a plugin, or flip that around and
use QGIS server to create the tile layer used in the background.

-Alex

On 02/03/2018 11:49 AM, Bernd Vogelgesang wrote:

> Thanx guys for the hint,
> but this is a "serious" project ;)
>
> My detail maps I have to produce are scattered around an area of ca. 200
> sqkm, I want to have the freedom to design everything I want to with
> overview maps for finding the spot, inserting already existing data etc.
> So fieldpapers.org is nice, but doesn't bring me any convenience in my
> QGIS-workflows.
>
> Cheers
> Bernd
>
> Am 03.02.2018, 19:57 Uhr, schrieb Clifford Snow <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Let me echo Brent Fraser suggestion to look at Field Papers,
>> fieldpaper.org. They accomplish what you are looking for. Each page
>> >of the field paper has a QR code for georeferencing. Not only that
>> they can be loaded in as a baselayer in OSM editors. The site
>> >fieldpapers.org has a simple walk through on how to go from nothing
>> to pages loaded in for digitizing.
>>
>> If you are going to use Field Papers with different surveyors from
>> those who digitize the results, make sure you have a common
>> >understanding of symbols and notation the surveyors use. Otherwise
>> digitizing may be limited.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Clifford

>>> Have you looked at Field Papers?  http://fieldpapers.org/
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Brent Fraser

Nyall Dawson
On 4 February 2018 at 06:32, Alex Mandel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think you undervalue what's been done. See the code base, and
> re-use/adapt whatever components you want. You can run your own custom
> version.
>
> https://github.com/fieldpapers
>
> Could even integrate it with QGIS as a plugin, or flip that around and
> use QGIS server to create the tile layer used in the background.

Hmm, let's do the math:

- QGIS 3.0 composer adds support for plugin-based item types, allowing
Python plugins to add new items to a layout
- fieldpapers is open source, so easy to see and reproduce the logic
regarding what's embedded in those QR codes
- there's existing Python libraries for QR codes as images, which
could then easily be rendered inside a QGIS 3.0 QgsLayoutItem subclass

Go forth magic QGIS plugin authoring elves! Do your thing!

Nyall

Am 03.02.2018, 23:35 Uhr, schrieb Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]>:

> On 4 February 2018 at 06:32, Alex Mandel <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> I think you undervalue what's been done. See the code base, and
>> re-use/adapt whatever components you want. You can run your own custom
>> version.
>>
>> https://github.com/fieldpapers
>>
>> Could even integrate it with QGIS as a plugin, or flip that around and
>> use QGIS server to create the tile layer used in the background.
>
> Hmm, let's do the math:
>
> - QGIS 3.0 composer adds support for plugin-based item types, allowing
> Python plugins to add new items to a layout
> - fieldpapers is open source, so easy to see and reproduce the logic
> regarding what's embedded in those QR codes
> - there's existing Python libraries for QR codes as images, which
> could then easily be rendered inside a QGIS 3.0 QgsLayoutItem subclass

Ermm, well, obviously!

> Go forth magic QGIS plugin authoring elves! Do your thing!

So, how much time will those elves need to accomplish such a task, how
much does an elve charge an hour, and most important, where do such elves
live?