INSPIRE views in GeoNetwork future versions.

INSPIRE views in GeoNetwork future versions.

Paul van Genuchten
Hello from the Bolsena Codesprint. This email targets those organizations using GeoNetwork to manipulate INSPIRE records. We’re discussing the roadmap for geonetwork and we’re a bit puzzled by how to implement support for INSPIRE TG 2.

Currently the iso19139 schema has support for TG1.3 and SDS (as editor views). Changes required for TG2 are quite impactful on those views. We’re considering 3 cases for future versions of GeoNetwork.
- Remove the INSPIRE and SDS view in favour of optimizations in the default views
- Update the INSPIRE TG v1.3 view to INSPIRE TG v2 (keep the SDS view).
- Support both the INSPIRE TG v1.3 as well as v2.0 views (and keep the SDS view)

Please let us know if your organization is currently using the INSPIRE view, SDS, an adopted view and/or the default view. And what your wishes are for future versions. And/or if you have ideas how to improve in other ways.

Kind regards, Francois and Paul.

Re: INSPIRE views in GeoNetwork future versions.

Jo Cook
Hello Bolsena!

We use Geonetwork for INSPIRE records but don't use the INSPIRE view.
We prefer to make the default view as complete as possible, in other
words holding all mandatory options and then advise people use the
advanced view for anything else. So my preference would be
optimisations in the default views- not least because the INSPIRE view
takes up so many lines in config-editor.xml as well!

Jo

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 3:02 PM Paul van Genuchten
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello from the Bolsena Codesprint. This email targets those organizations using GeoNetwork to manipulate INSPIRE records. We’re discussing the roadmap for geonetwork and we’re a bit puzzled by how to implement support for INSPIRE TG 2.
>
> Currently the iso19139 schema has support for TG1.3 and SDS (as editor views). Changes required for TG2 are quite impactful on those views. We’re considering 3 cases for future versions of GeoNetwork.
> - Remove the INSPIRE and SDS view in favour of optimizations in the default views
> - Update the INSPIRE TG v1.3 view to INSPIRE TG v2 (keep the SDS view).
> - Support both the INSPIRE TG v1.3 as well as v2.0 views (and keep the SDS view)
>
> Please let us know if your organization is currently using the INSPIRE view, SDS, an adopted view and/or the default view. And what your wishes are for future versions. And/or if you have ideas how to improve in other ways.
>
> Kind regards, Francois and Paul.

Jo Cook
t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek
Please note that currently I do not work on Friday afternoons. For
urgent responses at that time, please visit
support.astuntechnology.com or phone our office on 01372 744009

products, conferences, events and training*
*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: INSPIRE views in GeoNetwork future versions.

Koistinen Kai (MML)
Dear Paul and Francois,

National Land Survey of Finland is responsible for implementing national centralized INSPIRE discovery in Finland and we are using Geonetwork for it (3.6.0 at the moment). We use INSPIRE view as default and have disable the original "default" view. We have done this because we want to offer a single view which contains all mandatory INSPIRE fields.

Our wish is that there will be INSPIRE view in the future versions also. Or if not the "default" should contain all mandatory INSPIRE fields. Maybe INSPIRE TG v2 could be a parallel view at first and when it's more widely taken into use it could replace the old TG1.3 view? Anyway the INSPIRE view should be such that it produces metadata that passes INSPIRE ETF validation.

Best regards,
Kai Koistinen
SDI Expert
National Land Survey of Finland
[hidden email]

Re: INSPIRE views in GeoNetwork future versions.

Francois Prunayre
Thanks Kai & Jo for your feedback.

The main issues we have if we have one view for TG13 and one for TG2 in
parallel are:
* those views impact the way the document is encoded (mainly by using
template fields) - so switching from one view to another will change the
document and supporting both at the same time will be a pain and maybe even
not really feasible.
* TG2 also make usage of 2007 XSD for ISO19139 - so even the schema is
different (see
https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/pull/3638#issuecomment-505848741
for
details)
So in one catalogue, we don't expect to be able to support both encoding -
in the editor.

So that's why discussing it in Bolsena, we made a draft list of changes
required https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/pull/3399 to support
encoding following TG2 rules.

The default view is based on the content of the XML file, so if a record
contains all INSPIRE fields, then they are displayed in the default view.

We have not seen that many usage of the INSPIRE view as "we" are usually
creating custom editor views for organizations which also most of the time
follow INSPIRE rules (and sometime even tries to hide INSPIRE encoding
rules).

So if we want to support TG2, it sounds easier to create a good template
and explain how to configure the catalogue (eg. load those codelist from
Registry, configure schema to use, how to migrate from TG13) instead of
trying to build a new view (always quite hard to maintain).

Kind regards

Francois