IE (IE7 & IE8 in compatible mode) support for OpenLayers

IE (IE7 & IE8 in compatible mode) support for OpenLayers

Augusttown
All,

Is there any official or relatively complete written up on the IE support of OpenLayers? E.g. what is working and what is not working etc? I see a little this and a little that on several specific bug or so but thing gives people a clear overview of how OpenLayers works in IE. Any idea?

Thanks

Re: IE (IE7 & IE8 in compatible mode) support for OpenLayers

Paul Spencer
http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Browsers

OpenLayers functions identically in all major browsers, including IE.  Some things occasionally slip through the cracks and end up not working correctly in some browsers even though all new development requires automated tests.  Anything that comes up should be filed as a ticket and usually fixed in a timely manner if the submitter follows the guidelines at http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/FilingTickets.

Cheers

Paul

On 2010-08-27, at 9:36 AM, Yingqi Tang wrote:

> All,
>
> Is there any official or relatively complete written up on the IE support of OpenLayers? E.g. what is working and what is not working etc? I see a little this and a little that on several specific bug or so but thing gives people a clear overview of how OpenLayers works in IE. Any idea?
>
> Thanks

Re: IE (IE7 & IE8 in compatible mode) support for OpenLayers

Andreas Hocevar-2
OpenLayers fully supports IE7 and IE8, the latter in both compatible and native mode.

This means that everything you can do in other supported browsers, you can also do in IE.

IE specific bugs exist because IE is much different from other, more standards compliant browsers. The biggest difference is vector rendering - for IE we have a completely separate renderer (VML, whereas we use SVG or Canvas in other browsers).

However, it is a known fact (but not specific to OpenLayers) that the JavaScript engine of IE7 and IE8 is slower than the one of other browsers. In vector rendering, you may notice that rotated graphics are much slower in IE than in other browsers. This is because of the limited native support of geometry transformations in VML.

Regards,
Andreas.

On Aug 27, 2010, at 15:36 , Yingqi Tang wrote:

> All,
>
> Is there any official or relatively complete written up on the IE support of OpenLayers? E.g. what is working and what is not working etc? I see a little this and a little that on several specific bug or so but thing gives people a clear overview of how OpenLayers works in IE. Any idea?
>
> Thanks

Andreas Hocevar
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/

Re: IE (IE7 & IE8 in compatible mode) support for OpenLayers

Augusttown
Thanks a for the summary.

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 6:53 AM, Andreas Hocevar <[hidden email]> wrote:
OpenLayers fully supports IE7 and IE8, the latter in both compatible and native mode.

This means that everything you can do in other supported browsers, you can also do in IE.

IE specific bugs exist because IE is much different from other, more standards compliant browsers. The biggest difference is vector rendering - for IE we have a completely separate renderer (VML, whereas we use SVG or Canvas in other browsers).

However, it is a known fact (but not specific to OpenLayers) that the JavaScript engine of IE7 and IE8 is slower than the one of other browsers. In vector rendering, you may notice that rotated graphics are much slower in IE than in other browsers. This is because of the limited native support of geometry transformations in VML.

Regards,
Andreas.

On Aug 27, 2010, at 15:36 , Yingqi Tang wrote:

> All,
>
> Is there any official or relatively complete written up on the IE support of OpenLayers? E.g. what is working and what is not working etc? I see a little this and a little that on several specific bug or so but thing gives people a clear overview of how OpenLayers works in IE. Any idea?
>
> Thanks

Andreas Hocevar
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/

Re: IE (IE7 &amp; IE8 in compatible mode) support for OpenLayers

Neelima Kapoor

Yingqi Tang <anakintang@...> writes:

> Thanks a for the summary.
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 6:53 AM, Andreas Hocevar <ahocevar-
[hidden email]> wrote:
> OpenLayers fully supports IE7 and IE8, the latter in both compatible and
native mode.
> This means that everything you can do in other supported browsers, you can
also do in IE.
> IE specific bugs exist because IE is much different from other, more
standards compliant browsers. The biggest difference is vector rendering - for
IE we have a completely separate renderer (VML, whereas we use SVG or Canvas in
other browsers).
> However, it is a known fact (but not specific to OpenLayers) that the
JavaScript engine of IE7 and IE8 is slower than the one of other browsers. In
vector rendering, you may notice that rotated graphics are much slower in IE
than in other browsers. This is because of the limited native support of
geometry transformations in VML.
> Regards,
> Andreas.
> On Aug 27, 2010, at 15:36 , Yingqi Tang wrote:
>

> > All,
> >
> > Is there any official or relatively complete written up on the IE support
of OpenLayers? E.g. what is working and what is not working etc? I see a little
this and a little that on several specific bug or so but thing gives people a
clear overview of how OpenLayers works in IE. Any idea?

> > Thanks

> Andreas Hocevar
> OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/

Hello All,

I have a page with OpenLayers map and a menu. However, the menu is getting
hidden behind the map. This problem only comes in IE8. Also, when I switch off
compatibility mode, the problem goes away. Kindly suggest.

I am using OpenLayers 2.8 -- $Revision: 9492 $

Regards,
Neelima

On Sep 21, 2010, at 14:25 , Neelima Kapoor wrote:
> I have a page with OpenLayers map and a menu. However, the menu is getting
> hidden behind the map. This problem only comes in IE8. Also, when I switch off
> compatibility mode, the problem goes away. Kindly suggest.

Likely a CSS issue in your application and not related to OpenLayers. Try to set a higher z-index for your menu.

Regards,
Andreas.

--
Andreas Hocevar
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/

Re: IE (IE7 &amp; IE8 in compatible mode) support for OpenLayers

naeem4it
I am trying to run below example on IE8 https://openlayers.org/en/latest/examples/gpx.html it is not working on IE8 and giving error ol is undefined and the same error generating by my code when i start using ol it throws error how it can be solved