Hypsometry profile

Radomir
Hi all,
My question is not directly associated with GRASS GIS...
I've generated profiles with use of r.profile command, so I have txt output file.
On basis of this file I need to prepare the hypsometry profile.
The simple one I can prepare with OpenOffice, but I need more complicated one which will prepare an output  file (eps, image?) at least with  horizontal and vertical scale defined by the user (me in this case).
Do you know any of such software running on Linux?
regards,
Radomir

Re: Hypsometry profile

Dylan Beaudette-2
On Thursday 07 February 2008, mort wrote:

> Hi all,
> My question is not directly associated with GRASS GIS...
> I've generated profiles with use of r.profile command, so I have txt output
> file.
> On basis of this file I need to prepare the hypsometry profile.
> The simple one I can prepare with OpenOffice, but I need more complicated
> one which will prepare an output  file (eps, image?) at least with
> horizontal and vertical scale defined by the user (me in this case).
> Do you know any of such software running on Linux?
> regards,
> Radomir

R comes to mind:
http://cran.r-project.org/

an example:
http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/375

--
Dylan Beaudette
Soil Resource Laboratory

Re: Hypsometry profile

hamish-2
mort wrote:
> I've generated profiles with use of r.profile command, so I have txt
> output file.
> On basis of this file I need to prepare the hypsometry profile.
> The simple one I can prepare with OpenOffice, but I need more
> complicated one which will prepare an output  file (eps, image?)
> at least with horizontal and vertical scale defined by the user (me
> in this case).
> Do you know any of such software running on Linux?

You could try with many softwares....

ETOPO2 dataset:
 g.region rast=etopo2
 r.transect -g map=etopo2 line=-180,0,90,360 > equator_elev.dat

All of the following should allow nice EPS output instead of default
ugly X-window versions. (e.g. Gnuplot's X-Window stuff is very ugly but
PNG,EPS,SVG output can look very nice)

Octave (or Matlab):
$ octave
>> eq_elev = load('equator_elev.dat');
>> figure(1)
>> plot(eq_elev(:,1), eq_elev(:,4))
>> figure(2)
>> hist(eq_elev(:,4))

R:
$ R
> eq_elev <- read.table("equator_elev.dat")
> hist(eq_elev[[4]])

Gnuplot:
$ gnuplot
gnuplot> set terminal postscript
gnuplot> set output 'elev.ps'
gnuplot> plot "equator_elev.dat" using 1:4 title 'Elevation'
(check if your version of gnuplot supports 'set style data histogram')

Python:  (maybe someone else can help here)
>>> plot()
with Matplotlib (PyLab)
>>>  hist(x, 100)   # use 100 bins
#??

etc.

Hamish

Re: Hypsometry profile

hamish-2
> mort wrote:
> > I've generated profiles with use of r.profile command, so I have
> > txt output file.
> > On basis of this file I need to prepare the hypsometry profile.
> > The simple one I can prepare with OpenOffice, but I need more
> > complicated one which will prepare an output  file (eps, image?)
> > at least with horizontal and vertical scale defined by the user (me
> > in this case).
> > Do you know any of such software running on Linux?

Hamish:

> You could try with many softwares....
>
> ETOPO2 dataset:
>  g.region rast=etopo2
>  r.transect -g map=etopo2 line=-180,0,90,360 > equator_elev.dat
>

> All of the following should allow nice EPS output instead of default
> ugly X-window versions. (e.g. Gnuplot's X-Window stuff is very ugly
> but
> PNG,EPS,SVG output can look very nice)
>

> Octave (or Matlab):
> $ octave
> >> eq_elev = load('equator_elev.dat');
> >> figure(1)
> >> plot(eq_elev(:,1), eq_elev(:,4))
> >> figure(2)
> >> hist(eq_elev(:,4))
>
> R:
> $ R
> > eq_elev <- read.table("equator_elev.dat")
> > hist(eq_elev[[4]])
>
> Gnuplot:
> $ gnuplot
> gnuplot> set terminal postscript
> gnuplot> set output 'elev.ps'
> gnuplot> plot "equator_elev.dat" using 1:4 title 'Elevation'
> (check if your version of gnuplot supports 'set style data
> histogram')

> Python:  (maybe someone else can help here)
[time passes .. whiz .. bang .. whirl .. replying to myself]

Matplotlib (PyLab) is a python module which is yet another software
that, like Octave, "works in a fashion not dissimilar to Matlab(tm)".

And so it's easy to get nice plots:

$ python
>>> from pylab import *
>>> data = load("equator_elev.dat")
>>> # unlike ML array index starts at 0, so 4th column is 3.
>>> hist(data[:,3], 100)
>>> xlabel('Elevation')
>>> ylabel('Count')
>>> title('ETOPO2 along the Equator')
>>> show()

Hamish

File size limit exceeded

Philipp Steigenberger-2
Hi list
Using v.surf.rst I get sometimes thes message "File size limit exceeded":

g.region rast=hull res=1; v.surf.rst qpd maskmap=hull elev=dtm_1m zcolumn=z --o
Percent complete:
File size limit exceeded

It works well with a resolution of 5 meters.

I guess I have enough space on the disc where my grassdatabase is. (15 GB)
IS there a posibility to tell GRASS not to limit the filesize - or to increase it?

Same problem when I use r.resamp.rst:

r.resamp.rst srtm_basic_5m ew=1 ns=1 elev=srtm_basic_1m mask=wo_07_mask
Processing all selected output files will require
537.543.028 bytes of disk space for temp files.
File size limit exceeded

but

r.resamp.rst srtm_basic ew=5 ns=5 elev=srtm_basic_5m mask=wo_07_mask
Processing all selected output files will require
880.528.752 bytes of disk space for temp files.
Temporarily changing the region to desired resolution ...
Bitmap mask created
Changing back to the original region ...
Percent complete:
100%
dnorm in ressegm after grid before out2= 379.474663
dnorm in mainc after grid before out1= 379.474663
dnorm in mainc after grid before out2= 379.474663
Temporarily changing the region to desired resolution...
Changing the region back to initial...
r.resamp.rst complete.

In 2nd case the temp space is larger than in first ???
(880.528.752 <-> 537.543.028 bytes)

Thank you

cheers

on shantih
Philipp

searching the archives

Philipp Steigenberger-2
Hi again
Before I ask more questions which maybe already were asked before - how
can I search the archives of the grass-user-list?
cheers
Philipp

Re: searching the archives

Moritz Lennert
On 08/02/08 10:52, Philipp Steigenberger wrote:
> Hi again
> Before I ask more questions which maybe already were asked before - how
> can I search the archives of the grass-user-list?

google: "grass-user keywords"

http://www.nabble.com/GRASS-f1200.html

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.user

Moritz

Re: searching the archives

Philipp Steigenberger-2

Now that I saerched the archives I noticed that something went wrong with my postings

i.e:

up to now I created a new grass-user-message in thunderbird by using the answer-all button (in any message) and deleting all the contents I don't need.
I thought I could save time in this way - but I didn't. And I sent the wrong header-information to the list...
Now there is this chaos (I produced) in the archiv :-!
Is there a way to re-sort this?

I promise improvements!

CONCLUSIONS: If you want to start a new topic always start it by creating a new message!!

crestfallen
Philipp

Philipp wrote:
> Now that I saerched the archives I noticed that something went wrong
> with my postings

the only thing that looks wrong to me is HTML in the postings,
  http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Mailing_list_etiquette
:)

everything else seems like it worked ok.

Hamish

Re: searching the archives

Markus Neteler
On Feb 8, 2008 10:52 AM, Philipp Steigenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi again
> Before I ask more questions which maybe already were asked before - how
> can I search the archives of the grass-user-list?

Despite the nablle and gmane archives, the main search page is
http://grass.osgeo.org/searchgrass.php

I have now added a provisional mailing list search based on Google.

Additionally, I have opened a ticket to OSGeo-SAC to
add "htdig" on the new master site:
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/203

Hope this gets installed soon to have back a decent search engine.

Markus
Markus

Re: searching the archives

Nikos Alexandris

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 14:05 +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Despite the nablle and gmane archives, the main search page is
> http://grass.osgeo.org/searchgrass.php

It would be nice to have a "sort by date" option as like in gmane and
nabble

Re: searching the archives

Markus Neteler
On Feb 8, 2008 2:24 PM, Nikos Alexandris
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> It would be nice to have a "sort by date" option as like in gmane and
> nabble

I could not figure out how to tell Google to do that. At least there
is now restricted time period searching possible:

http://grass.osgeo.org/searchgrass.php

As soon as there is a bit of time I'll install htdig on the server.

Markus

Re: searching the archives

hamish-2
Markus Neteler wrote:
> I could not figure out how to tell Google to do that. At least there
> is now restricted time period searching possible:
>
> http://grass.osgeo.org/searchgrass.php

Looks good.

> As soon as there is a bit of time I'll install htdig on the server.

It would also be nice to figure out how to get google to search all
mailing lists at once (excluding robotic -QA and -commit).

Hamish

Re: File size limit exceeded

Markus Neteler
On Feb 8, 2008 10:47 AM, Philipp Steigenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi list
>  Using v.surf.rst I get sometimes thes message "File size limit exceeded":
>
>  g.region rast=hull res=1; v.surf.rst qpd maskmap=hull elev=dtm_1m zcolumn=z
> --o
>  Percent complete:
>  File size limit exceeded

Please report
g.region rast=hull res=1 -p

Or you have exceeded the 2Gb file size limit of a 32-bit OS (post
g.region output from
above to check this), but it is possible that you have a file size
limit set in your shell.
I read something about limits defined in:
/etc/security/limits.conf

Markus