Huge data set - Help with pyramids

aphunter
Hey all,
     I am working with a 1 meter set of satellite imagery of California. I currently have 8000 GeoTiffs which total about 1TB of disk space.

     I am attempting to use gdal_retile to create 12 levels of zoom; however, it is taking days to even process the base folder.

     I am looking for suggestions on the best way to create a pyramid of this mosaic so that it can be served using GeoServer quickly and efficiently. I am thinking there must be a faster way to generate the pyramids than let gdal_retile run for half a lifetime.

Thoughts?