Huge TIFF files - problem

Lene Fischer

Hi,

I have got a problem with TIFF files.

Today I was performing a rastercalculation – two smaller files was suddenly 122 GB … and my computer ran out of free space.

And this afternoon my students georeferenced a jpg, and ended up with 24 GB map.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards

Lene Fischer

Re: Huge TIFF files - problem

Giovanni Manghi-2
> Hi,
> I have got a problem with TIFF files.
> Today I was performing a rastercalculation ? two smaller files was suddenly 122 GB ? and my computer ran out of free space.
> And this afternoon my students georeferenced a jpg, and ended up with 24 GB map.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Hi Lene,
I'm not sure if it is enough to justify such huge output files, but
most of the tools in the "raster" menu just output always float64
tiffs, that certainly contribute to make often bigger than the
necessary. This has been fixed in Processing where most of the gdal
tools now have an option to choose the type of geotiff for the output.

cheers

--
Giovanni Manghi
Faunalia.pt

Web: http://www.faunalia.pt
Email & Jabber: [hidden email]
PGP Key available
Tel. + 351 96 7058216

Re: Huge TIFF files - problem

Alex Mandel-2
On 12/08/2014 04:39 PM, Giovanni Manghi wrote:

>> Hi,
>> I have got a problem with TIFF files.
>> Today I was performing a rastercalculation ? two smaller files was suddenly 122 GB ? and my computer ran out of free space.
>> And this afternoon my students georeferenced a jpg, and ended up with 24 GB map.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>

> Hi Lene,
> I'm not sure if it is enough to justify such huge output files, but
> most of the tools in the "raster" menu just output always float64
> tiffs, that certainly contribute to make often bigger than the
> necessary. This has been fixed in Processing where most of the gdal
> tools now have an option to choose the type of geotiff for the output.
>
> cheers

That probably is the answer, not only float64 but no compression.
GeoTiff ideally would be a more appropriate storage based on the inputs
and calculation but also use Deflate or LZW compression. Seems to me a
reasonable default to use one of the lossless compression methods. Not
much to be done about the storage type though other than offer users
options when saving Tiffs where possible.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Huge TIFF files - problem

Alexandre Neto

Em 09/12/2014 07:43, "Alex Mandel" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
> ... Seems to me a
> reasonable default to use one of the lossless compression methods. Not
> much to be done about the storage type though other than offer users

Could / should we make it default in gdal tools then? IMHO, a standard user should not have to worry about that.

Best regards,
Alexandre Neto

Re: Huge TIFF files - problem

Lene Fischer

I think this is a good idea.

It gives problems when I end up with data files on 122 GB. I know how to change, but not basic users.

Regards

Lene Fischer

Lektor

Skovskolen

Københavns Universitet

DIR 40115084

SCIENCE_bomaerke

Em 09/12/2014 07:43, "Alex Mandel" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
> ... Seems to me a
> reasonable default to use one of the lossless compression methods. Not
> much to be done about the storage type though other than offer users

Could / should we make it default in gdal tools then? IMHO, a standard user should not have to worry about that.

Best regards,
Alexandre Neto

Re: Huge TIFF files - problem

Jonathan Moules-3

Hi Lene,

What’s the GDALINFO for the 122GB image? That will confirm (or debunk) some of the theories posted here as to the cause. Figured it’s worth asking just in case there’s another cause too.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Em 09/12/2014 07:43, "Alex Mandel" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
> ... Seems to me a
> reasonable default to use one of the lossless compression methods. Not
> much to be done about the storage type though other than offer users

Could / should we make it default in gdal tools then? IMHO, a standard user should not have to worry about that.

Best regards,
Alexandre Neto

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailControl, a service from BlackSpider Technology

HR Wallingford and its subsidiaries uses faxes and emails for confidential and legally privileged business communications. They do not of themselves create legal commitments. Disclosure to parties other than addressees requires our specific consent. We are not liable for unauthorised disclosures nor reliance upon them.
If you have received this message in error please advise us immediately and destroy all copies of it.

HR Wallingford Limited
Howbery Park, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, OX10 8BA, United Kingdom
Registered in England No. 02562099