Hue Rotate for Rasters

John Schulz-2
Greeting Ian,

I'm working on creating a hue rotate option for rasters processed in Geotools and with speaking with my team have come across your work with ContrastEnhancement and was hoping to get some insight into working with the normalization process and how it might be used in my endeavors.

I look forward to hearing back on your thoughts.

Cheers,

John

Re: Hue Rotate for Rasters

Ian Turton
Hi John,

I'm not sure I'm necessarily the right person to ask about this as all I did was expose the new methods to the SLD so that people could make use of the new functionality. The actual code to make changes to the raster was writen long before I was there - https://github.com/geotools/geotools/blame/master/modules/library/render/src/main/java/org/geotools/renderer/lite/gridcoverage2d/ContrastEnhancementNode.java

Hope that helps, if not feel free to continue to ask questions on this list. Though I warn you a lot of us are travelling this week for FOSS4GE and then building up to FOSS4G so there may be delays in responding.

Ian

--
Ian Turton

Re: Hue Rotate for Rasters

jody.garnett
Ian with respect to exposing new methods to the SLD, do you think Hue Rotate could be added as a new Color Normalization algorithm?

The only other example I could think of would be as a geometry transformation, both options kind of make sense so I was not sure what to recommend.

--
Jody Garnett

On 14 July 2017 at 00:47, Ian Turton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I looking through what additional functionality I am looking for,  I think it might be appropriate to add in a ColorEnhancement element of sorts, to include algorithms for HueRotate and Saturation.  I seems like a lot of my work would overlap with what is already in ContrastEnhancement and not sure how the additional efforts would payout.

@Jody - you did mention that it might be better to implement in a similar fashion of ShadedRelief, which would entail a new element in the RasterLayer anyway - thoughts?

John Schulz

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I meant to say:

"which would entail a new element in the *RasterSymbolizer*"

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 11:04 AM, John Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ShadedRelief was the only other thing I could think of, in SLD spec directly.

We also have our geoserver specific extension for geometry transformations. We have to ask someone here if that can be used to introduce the colorSpace operation to HSV and then a bandcombine operation for the color rotation in an efficient manner for rendering.

--
Jody Garnett

On 14 July 2017 at 09:04, John Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

geowolf
Ian,
Jody is calling them geometry transformations, but he really means rendering transformations (geometry transformation
is the act of applying a function inside the geometry tag for the current vector feature, has nothing to do with rasters):

Cheers
Andrea

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 9:25 PM, Ian Turton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Andrea Aime

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: Hue Rotate for Rasters

jody.garnett
Thanks for the correction Andrea, this would be a raster-to-raster rendering transform, or a new normalization algorithm.

Ian - Hue rotate is used when an image has been produced with complementary colours (in a colour wheel sense). If you can image spinning the color wheel while leaving the everything in the same relative position. It is used in video games for example to reuse graphic assets. Torben had a good reference if we ask him.

--
Jody Garnett

On 14 July 2017 at 13:18, Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

phone: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
fax: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20166%200272" value="+3905841660272" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272
mob: <a href="tel:+39%20339%20884%204549" value="+393398844549" target="_blank">+39  339 8844549

[...]

Torben Barsballe
Hi Ian,

Here are a couple of references that deal with implementing Hue-Rotate:

The basic idea is you have an image in the HSV colour space, and you change the increment the Hue of each pixel by some amount. This has the effect of "rotating" the hue of the image as a whole.

It is a fairly common transform in most graphical programs (like GIMP or Photoshop).

Torben

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

To all,

I am wanting to move forward with creating a proposal for an implementation to extend functionality for HueRotate and Saturation for rasters.  As stated by Torben the basic idea would be to take an image and convert it to the HSV or HSL color space and rotate the hue of each pixel by the same degree across the entire image, keeping the relative appearance in tact.  A good example can be found here:

In this discussion I believe there are two feasible approaches and was looking for any additional input in deciding the best way to move forward with the proposal.

1.  Create a new rendering transformation option.  This approach would be considered a raster-to-raster transformation and would require creating and executing a new process and operation/function and extending its use to the <Transformation> SLD.

2.  Create a new normalization process for colors similar to the Contrast Enhancement normalization, extending the RasterSymbolizer elements.  I feel that this option could be implemented in a couple of different ways as well.
    a. Extend the algorithm vendor option to include HueRotate and Saturation algorithms for Normalize within Contrast Enhancement.
    b. Create a new SLD element "ColorEnhancement" to follow in a similar fashion as Contrast Enhancement and the Normalize, but specifically altering the colorspace.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated,

Thanks,

John

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 5:49 PM, Torben Barsballe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I think that how you expose this to the user depends on what you or they think the process is going to be used for.

I lean towards the rendering transformation as I see it as a process to transform a raster into another one rather than an enhancement of the raster. But I'm not a raster expert and I've never come across this type of transformation before.

Ian

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 12:06 AM, Ian Turton <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think that how you expose this to the user depends on what you or they think the process is going to be used for.

I lean towards the rendering transformation as I see it as a process to transform a raster into another one rather than an enhancement of the raster. But I'm not a raster expert and I've never come across this type of transformation before.

To provide a bit of an alternate viewpoint, in the places I have seen hue-rotate used it has been the same type of operation as brightness/contrast or changing the saturation. This has generally not been in a GeoSpatial context however, just general image transformations.

Given that we are using a ContrastEnhancement for brightness / contrast, I could completely understand using a similar Color Enhancement for hue rotate.

That said, I'm sure a rendering transform would be fine too.

Torben