How to separate OGR from GDAL

Mateusz Loskot
Hi,

Could anyone advise me how to separate OGR from GDAL
in order to get only OGR functionality?
What components do I need from GDAL?
Is it possible?

Cheers

--
Mateusz Łoskot
mateusz at loskot dot net

Re: How to separate OGR from GDAL

Alessandro Amici

Mateusz,

Alle 12:03, lunedì 30 maggio 2005, Mateusz Łoskot ha scritto:
> Could anyone advise me how to separate OGR from GDAL
> in order to get only OGR functionality?
> What components do I need from GDAL?
> Is it possible?

as far as i know it is not intended to be possible (at least as a
configuration option).

you may hand-modify the build system in order to only build ogr, but
there are a number of cross-dependencies (at least there were last time
i checked) between code inside gdal/ogr and code inside gdal/frmts. it
is not trivial (or at least it was not).

if you only need ogr functionality and have size constrains i would
advise you to try and disable some gdal drivers first.

cheers,
alessandro

--
B-Open Solutions srl - http://www.bopen.it/
Sicurezza informatica e software Open Source su:

Alessandro Amici napisał(a):

> Alle 12:03, lunedì 30 maggio 2005, Mateusz Łoskot ha scritto:
>
>>Could anyone advise me how to separate OGR from GDAL
>>in order to get only OGR functionality?
>>What components do I need from GDAL?
>>Is it possible?
>
> as far as i know it is not intended to be possible (at least as a
> configuration option).
> [...]
>
> if you only need ogr functionality and have size constrains i would
> advise you to try and disable some gdal drivers first.

I'll try it. But there isn't any important size constraint of the
library, of course it is recommended to have small DLL, but it is not
required.
I need only OGR functionality on Windows CE (Mobile) so it could be
easier to port the code when I have OGR sources separated.
But I understand it isn't easy job.
Greets

--
Mateusz Łoskot
mateusz at loskot dot net

RE: Re: How to separate OGR from GDAL

Paul Selormey-2-3
Why not simply write your own OGR. Most of the parts of the OGR
like shapelib, mitab, Proj4, GEOS etc are available as standalone library.

For a typical WinCE application, you most likely do not wish to support
all the data sources in OGR.

Best regards,
Paul.

Daniel Morissette-2
Mateusz Łoskot wrote:

> I'll try it. But there isn't any important size constraint of the
> library, of course it is recommended to have small DLL, but it is not
> required.
> I need only OGR functionality on Windows CE (Mobile) so it could be
> easier to port the code when I have OGR sources separated.
> But I understand it isn't easy job.
> Greets

Mateusz,

Perhaps a starting point could be the MITAB library. It comes with a
standalone/stripped down copy of OGR that contains all the geometry,
feature, layer, datasource, SRS, etc... classes, as well as the CPL
(port) stuff. You may not need much more to be able to have a working
OGR with your selected drivers outside of the GDAL environment.

The CVS version of MITAB (not released yet) has been updated from the
latest OGR source about 2 weeks ago. You could get it through anonymous
CVS by checking out module "mitab" with the following CVSROOT:
  CVSROOT=:pserver:[hidden email]:/cvs/maptools/cvsroot
There is no password for anonymous CVS access, i.e. just hit return with
an empty password when doing a 'cvs login'

Daniel

Daniel Morissette napisał(a):

> Mateusz Łoskot wrote:
>> [...]
>> I need only OGR functionality on Windows CE (Mobile) so it could be
>> easier to port the code when I have OGR sources separated.
>> But I understand it isn't easy job.
>> Greets
>>

> Perhaps a starting point could be the MITAB library. It comes with a
> standalone/stripped down copy of OGR that contains all the geometry,
> feature, layer, datasource, SRS, etc... classes, as well as the CPL
> (port) stuff. You may not need much more to be able to have a working
> OGR with your selected drivers outside of the GDAL environment.

Thank you, I'm just going to try MITAB lib.
As I see it supports MapInfo formats, but as I understand you
correctly, I can take OGR part of MITAG, right?

I work mainly with Shapefiles and sqlite.
So, I could take that OGR port and use Shapelib for my job.

> The CVS version of MITAB (not released yet) has been updated from the
> latest OGR source about 2 weeks ago. You could get it through anonymous
> CVS by checking out module "mitab" with the following CVSROOT:
>  CVSROOT=:pserver:[hidden email]:/cvs/maptools/cvsroot
> There is no password for anonymous CVS access, i.e. just hit return with
> an empty password when doing a 'cvs login'

Thank you, I'm checkin it out now.
As I see you are the project leader, right?

Greets

Mateusz Łoskot wrote:

> Thank you, I'm just going to try MITAB lib.
> As I see it supports MapInfo formats, but as I understand you
> correctly, I can take OGR part of MITAG, right?

You'd need to take the "ogr" and "cpl" directories, and then use that to
build with OGR's shapelib and sqlite drivers.

> As I see you are the project leader, right?

Yup.

Daniel

Re: How to separate OGR from GDAL

Mateusz Loskot
Daniel Morissette napisał(a):

> Mateusz Łoskot wrote:
>

>> Thank you, I'm just going to try MITAB lib.
>> As I see it supports MapInfo formats, but as I understand you
>> correctly, I can take OGR part of MITAG, right?
>>

> You'd need to take the "ogr" and "cpl" directories, and then use that to
> build with OGR's shapelib and sqlite drivers.

OK, I will fight with this this week.
I'll report results here.

>> As I see you are the project leader, right?
>>

> Yup.

Nice, I will catch you sometimes for a little help :-), do you mind?

Regards

Mateusz Łoskot wrote:

> Nice, I will catch you sometimes for a little help :-), do you mind?

You mean help with separating OGR? I'd suggest you start by firing
questions to the lists as you've been doing and if I can help I'll jump
in.. there are others who are also very knowledgeable about OGR on the
list and who could help too... and others who could learn useful
information from those discussions, so going through the lists is always
preferred.

Daniel

Re: How to separate OGR from GDAL

Mateusz Loskot
Daniel Morissette napisał(a):
> Mateusz Łoskot wrote:
>

>> Nice, I will catch you sometimes for a little help :-), do you mind?
>>

> You mean help with separating OGR? I'd suggest you start by firing
> questions to the lists as you've been doing and if I can help I'll jump
> in..
 > [...]

That's what I mean saying "I will catch you" :-)
I mean the list.

Regards

--
Mateusz Łoskot
mateusz at loskot dot net

NETCDF Support

CARLOS GARCIA-2
Does anybody know what kind of support provides GDAL to the NETCDF
format? Can I read? Can I create? Can I translate?

Is there any example of how to use it, I really apreciate

Carlos Garcia

Re: NETCDF Support

Frank Warmerdam-2
Carlos,

There is discussion of the existing NetCDF driver at:

  http://www.gdal.org/frmt_various.html#netCDF

There are a variety of limitations and it is only available if GDAL
is built with netCDF support enabled - it depends on an external library.

If I may say so, I think the current GDAL netCDF support is somewhat
crappy, but it does work in some situations.  I hope to overall it at
some point.