How to render an XML file thru GeoServer

How to render an XML file thru GeoServer

daveD
Hello all,

I am still pretty new to Geoserver, XML and messaging and am looking for some help. I am looking to pass a message from a legacy system as an XML file, and I would like to pass it to GeoServer and display it using the integrated OpenLayers. I have been looking at the REST API, but I'm still a little unsure of how everything works together. I've been trying to look for examples, tutorials or guides online, but I am coming up short. Does anyone know of any good sites that could help me accomplish this task, or to understand GeoServer at a higher level than the user's manual?

I was also wondering if I needed to change the database schema to be of type geometries. The current system just stores latitude and longitude as ints.

Thanks for any help