How to identify a raster on the map?

noachis
Hi,
I have a Qgis-GRASS GIS project containing more than 200 rasters: it is a GIS project about a portion of Mars (yes... the planet!).
Often, I need to identify the name of one of such rasters just by clicking on it on the map.
Which is the best way to do this with Qgis? The "Identify" button give information on a raster only if the raster it is already selected.
There is a plugin to do this?

Otherwise, I think the only way is to build a vector layer representing raster footprints, and interrogate it.

Thanks

Andrea

Re: How to identify a raster on the map?

Tim Sutton
Hi Andrea

The best way to do this would probably to use the gdal shptille
utility to build a shapefile that contains indexes to each image.See

http://www.gdal.org/gdaltindex.html

A plugin like you envisage should be possible but none has been written yet.

Regards

Tim

2008/1/10, andrea pacifici <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
> I have a Qgis-GRASS GIS project containing more than 200 rasters: it is a
> GIS project about a portion of Mars (yes... the planet!).
> Often, I need to identify the name of one of such rasters just by clicking
> on it on the map.
> Which is the best way to do this with Qgis? The "Identify" button give
> information on a raster only if the raster it is already selected.
> There is a plugin to do this?
>
> Otherwise, I think the only way is to build a vector layer representing
> raster footprints, and interrogate it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrea

Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager
Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
openModeller Desktop Developer
Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological
niche modelling tool
Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: How to identify a raster on the map?

Richard Duivenvoorde
Hi Andrea,

how did you load these rasters?
Every raster in a layer (so you have actually 200 layers)?
Or did you generate a tileindex file using gdaltindex and are you
serving the rasterimages using mapserver?

If the first: it's fun to write a simple python plugin for that, if
needed I can give you some help (thinking about: get mouseXY, walk
through all layers and check if you are within the bbox of current
layer, spit the layername or some other attribute name to std-out (or
more fancy: show a dialog).)

If the second: as Tim told you: add the indexfile as layer. You can also
use that indexfile to serve the rasters via Mapserver then.

Building the indexfile and just loading that in Qgis is probably the
fastest way.

Grtz Richard Duivenvoorde

andrea pacifici wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a Qgis-GRASS GIS project containing more than 200 rasters: it is
> a GIS project about a portion of Mars (yes... the planet!).
> Often, I need to identify the name of one of such rasters just by
> clicking on it on the map.
> Which is the best way to do this with Qgis? The "Identify" button give
> information on a raster only if the raster it is already selected.
> There is a plugin to do this?
>
> Otherwise, I think the only way is to build a vector layer representing
> raster footprints, and interrogate it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrea
>
> --
> _____________________________
>
> Dott. Geol. Andrea Pacifici, Ph.D.
> Via della Billona 1093,
> 55100 Lucca, Italy
> Cell. +39328-09918108
> E-Mail [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: How to identify a raster on the map?

noachis
Hi Richard,

I'm using Qgis in order to realise a geological map: images will be not distribuited via mapserver. So I actually have more than 200 layers.

To create a python  plugin for that could be very interesting. But I don't know python language....

Anyway, I think that the possibility to have a Qgis plugin doing this could be fundamental for those people working with a very large number of raster data (this is the case of people like me working on planetary geology)

Thank you very much

Andrea

andrea pacifici wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a Qgis-GRASS GIS project containing more than 200 rasters: it is
> a GIS project about a portion of Mars (yes... the planet!).
> Often, I need to identify the name of one of such rasters just by
> clicking on it on the map.
> Which is the best way to do this with Qgis? The "Identify" button give
> information on a raster only if the raster it is already selected.
> There is a plugin to do this?
>
> Otherwise, I think the only way is to build a vector layer representing
> raster footprints, and interrogate it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrea
>

> --
> _____________________________
>
> Dott. Geol. Andrea Pacifici, Ph.D.
> Via della Billona 1093,
> 55100 Lucca, Italy
> Cell. +39328-09918108
> E-Mail [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: How to identify a raster on the map?

Aaron Racicot

FYI,

http://blog.qgis.org/?q=node/104

 Aaron Racicot - GIS Programmer
 z - p u l l e y
 pobox 1614
 langley wa 98260
 www.reprojected.com

andrea pacifici wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a Qgis-GRASS GIS project containing more than 200 rasters: it is
> a GIS project about a portion of Mars (yes... the planet!).
> Often, I need to identify the name of one of such rasters just by
> clicking on it on the map.
> Which is the best way to do this with Qgis? The "Identify" button give
> information on a raster only if the raster it is already selected.
> There is a plugin to do this?
>
> Otherwise, I think the only way is to build a vector layer representing
> raster footprints, and interrogate it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrea
>
> --
> _____________________________
>
> Dott. Geol. Andrea Pacifici, Ph.D.
> Via della Billona 1093,
> 55100 Lucca, Italy
> Cell. +39328-09918108
> E-Mail [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

_____________________________

Dott. Geol. Andrea Pacifici, Ph.D.
Via della Billona 1093,
55100 Lucca
Cell. 328-09918108
E-Mail [hidden email]

Re: How to identify a raster on the map?

Tim Sutton
Hi Aaron

I tried out your plugin - works great!

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: How to identify a raster on the map?

Martin Dobias
On Jan 14, 2008 9:36 PM, Aaron Racicot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://blog.qgis.org/?q=node/104

Aaron,

a note about the implementation: in fact you don't need to implement
RasterInfoTool - there's QgsMapToolEmitPoint in gui iibrary which does
the same thing :-)

Moreover, when reimplementing activate/deactivate functions you should
also call parent QgsMapTool::(de)activate function to keep everyone
happy. But well, I know... documentation is lacking :-/

Greetings
Martin

Re: How to identify a raster on the map?

Aaron Racicot
Martin,

Thanks for the advice... always welcome and look forward to more!

I went ahead and updated the activate and deactivate to call the
QgsMapTool.activate(self) and QgsMapTool.deactivate(self) respectively.

For now I am just going to leave this as an implementation of a QgsMapTool
and will look closer at the QgsMapToolEmitPoint.

I have updated the SVN and uploaded a new zip (0.03) to the plugin
repository.

Thanks again...

 Aaron Racicot - GIS Programmer
 360.221.2441 - [hidden email]