How to get .prj file from Shapefile

Mustafa646
I received a shapefile (.shp, .shx and .db files) but .prj file is missing. Can i read/create .prj file from this shapefile ?

Any way or some software to create .prj file ?

Re: How to get .prj file from Shapefile

Eric Miller-4
Yes, but the trick is you have to know the coordinate system for the data.  The prj file is just a text file.  I think Frank's OGR tool might be able to help.
--

Eric G. Miller
Staff Programmer

>>> On 9/8/2011 at 7:38 AM, Mustafa646 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I received a shapefile (.shp, .shx and .db files) but .prj file is missing.
> Can i read/create .prj file from this shapefile ?
>
> Any way or some software to create .prj file ?

Re: How to get .prj file from Shapefile

support.mn
Hello,

prj files seem to be more or less informative ... you can not really trust
what is given in them. But here is one view:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapefile#Shapefile_projection_format_.28.prj.29

regards: Janne.