How to get a point's coordinate for GPS?

How to get a point's coordinate for GPS?

Maria Shinoto
Hi,

I have been watching YouTube and reading tutorials the whole afternoon, but I do not get this simple task done:

I have a map with several layers in EPSG:2444. Now I create another vector layer with points, which represents points that I have to go myself and check for several features. I will go there with my Garmin Etrex 10 GPS.

So, I would like to

- add the coordinates of the certain points into the attribute table to print out the table later.
- create a file with the coordinates in order to import it into the GPS device and walk along all points.

My question:

1. How do I get readable (GPS) coordinates into the attribute table (automatically, with field calculator or so)?
2. Can I export a GPX file or so from these coordinates to import into a Garmin device (if so, how?)

It seems so basic, but I do not succeed.

Best,
Maria

Re: How to get a point's coordinate for GPS?

Raymond Nijssen
In qgis3 it should work like this:

On 25-01-19 11:49, Maria Shinoto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been watching YouTube and reading tutorials the whole afternoon, but I do not get this simple task done:
>
> I have a map with several layers in EPSG:2444. Now I create another vector layer with points, which represents points that I have to go myself and check for several features. I will go there with my Garmin Etrex 10 GPS.
>
> So, I would like to
>
> - add the coordinates of the certain points into the attribute table to print out the table later.
> - create a file with the coordinates in order to import it into the GPS device and walk along all points.
>
> My question:
>
> 1. How do I get readable (GPS) coordinates into the attribute table (automatically, with field calculator or so)?

You can use the field calculator on your attribute table with the
following expressions:

lon
x(transform( $geometry, 'EPSG:2444', 'EPSG:4326'))

lat
y(transform( $geometry, 'EPSG:2444', 'EPSG:4326'))

> 2. Can I export a GPX file or so from these coordinates to import into a Garmin device (if so, how?)

Right click your layer and export in GPX format. You might need to
uncheck your lat and lon field to prevent getting an error.

Good luck!

> It seems so basic, but I do not succeed.
>
> Best,
> Maria

Re: How to get a point's coordinate for GPS?

Maria Shinoto
Thanks Raymond,
great to have an answer already this evening. I will check it out tomorrow and give feedback,
Maria

> Am 2019-01-25 um 20:16 schrieb Raymond Nijssen <[hidden email]>:
>
> In qgis3 it should work like this:
>
> On 25-01-19 11:49, Maria Shinoto wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have been watching YouTube and reading tutorials the whole afternoon, but I do not get this simple task done:
>> I have a map with several layers in EPSG:2444. Now I create another vector layer with points, which represents points that I have to go myself and check for several features. I will go there with my Garmin Etrex 10 GPS.
>> So, I would like to
>> - add the coordinates of the certain points into the attribute table to print out the table later.
>> - create a file with the coordinates in order to import it into the GPS device and walk along all points.
>> My question:
>> 1. How do I get readable (GPS) coordinates into the attribute table (automatically, with field calculator or so)?
>
> You can use the field calculator on your attribute table with the following expressions:
>
> lon
> x(transform( $geometry, 'EPSG:2444', 'EPSG:4326'))
>
> lat
> y(transform( $geometry, 'EPSG:2444', 'EPSG:4326'))
>

>> 2. Can I export a GPX file or so from these coordinates to import into a Garmin device (if so, how?)
>
> Right click your layer and export in GPX format. You might need to uncheck your lat and lon field to prevent getting an error.
>
> Good luck!
>
>> It seems so basic, but I do not succeed.
>> Best,
>> Maria

Re: How to get a point's coordinate for GPS?

Etienne Trimaille
I will just add 2 tips to Raymond's answer.

* In the field calculator, you can create a "virtual" field, so the content is updated everytime you move a point, or you create a new one.
* With these expressions, you will get decimal values. Since QGIS 3.4, you can have DMS or DM values (convenient for GPS)
to_dms(x(transform( $geometry, 'EPSG:2444', 'EPSG:4326'))),'x', 3)

Le ven. 25 janv. 2019 à 07:25, Maria Shinoto <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Thanks Raymond,
great to have an answer already this evening. I will check it out tomorrow and give feedback,
Maria

> Am 2019-01-25 um 20:16 schrieb Raymond Nijssen <[hidden email]>:
>
> In qgis3 it should work like this:
>
> On 25-01-19 11:49, Maria Shinoto wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have been watching YouTube and reading tutorials the whole afternoon, but I do not get this simple task done:
>> I have a map with several layers in EPSG:2444. Now I create another vector layer with points, which represents points that I have to go myself and check for several features. I will go there with my Garmin Etrex 10 GPS.
>> So, I would like to
>> - add the coordinates of the certain points into the attribute table to print out the table later.
>> - create a file with the coordinates in order to import it into the GPS device and walk along all points.
>> My question:
>> 1. How do I get readable (GPS) coordinates into the attribute table (automatically, with field calculator or so)?
>
> You can use the field calculator on your attribute table with the following expressions:
>
> lon
> x(transform( $geometry, 'EPSG:2444', 'EPSG:4326'))
>
> lat
> y(transform( $geometry, 'EPSG:2444', 'EPSG:4326'))
>

>> 2. Can I export a GPX file or so from these coordinates to import into a Garmin device (if so, how?)
>
> Right click your layer and export in GPX format. You might need to uncheck your lat and lon field to prevent getting an error.
>
> Good luck!
>
>> It seems so basic, but I do not succeed.
>> Best,
>> Maria

Re: How to get a point's coordinate for GPS?

C Hamilton
Maria,

You can certainly do it with the field calculator, but I wanted an easier way. I programmed this capability into the Lat Lon Tools plugin. The specific function is "Geometry to field". You can access it from "Plugins->Lat Lon Tools->Conversions->Geometry to field" or from the processing toolbox under Lat Lon tools.

There is a lot of functionality with this. You can export the the points to either a single field in the attributes table with a separator or to two fields. You can specify the output CRS. You can also choose between Decimal degrees, DMS coordinates, GeoJSON, WKT, MGRS, and Plus Codes.

As far as getting it onto your Garmin device try the POI Exporter plugin which is another plugin I wrote. Look at the documentation. It will export your data in GPX format and you can use Garmin Basecamp or the Garmin POI Loader to get it onto your device.

Calvin

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 5:49 AM Maria Shinoto <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Calvin, Etienne, Raymond,

Thank you all three for your answers.

I tested the suggestions with my limited knowledge of QGIS and could use it very well. I can pursue my task now.

For the records: The suggestions from Raymond worked all very well; Etiennes idea with the virtual field is an excellent idea for ongoing work, unfortunately the calculation example did not work for me -- but it is OK with the more basic solution. Finally, the lat-lon plugin as well as the POI Exporter seem to work seemlessly. I have now to learn about all the power of these plugins.

Thanks again,
Maria

Am 2019-01-25 um 23:29 schrieb C Hamilton <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Hi Maria,

You are welcome! And thanks for reporting back.

Raymond

Terglobo
Fahrenheitstraat 1
5223 BJ 's-Hertogenbosch