Quantcast

How to deliver an additional Python Library with own Plugin?

How to deliver an additional Python Library with own Plugin?

Michael Röcke
For my own plugin I need a special library (pyexiv2) to write a
comment into a jpg file (PIL does not do that).
When I want to share my plugin in one of the repositories in the
future, what would be the right way to deliver this additional python
library, so that my own plugin will work for other people?

Thanks
--
Michael Röcke

Re: How to deliver an additional Python Library with own Plugin?

gene
The problem is difficult because the standard Python modules must be installed in site-package and:
- in the Windows version, QGIS uses its own version of Python
- in the Linux or Mac OS X versions, QGIS uses the standard version, preinstalled

Re: How to deliver an additional Python Library with own Plugin?

Paolo Cavallini
Il 20/01/2013 18:31, Luca Mandolesi ha scritto:
> This is a very huge problem that I have with my plugin too. This is a
> limit for sharing your own work and I spent some time without finding
> a solution for all.

IMHO the Right Solution is to add the packages to the distros, and if
appropriate to the standalone installer: in Linux is mostly a solved
problem, in osgeo4w and osx there is some work to do.
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu

Re: How to deliver an additional Python Library with own Plugin?

Tyler Mitchell-3
If the task is only to add metadata, perhaps some function in one of the libs that are already used could be possible?  e.g. GDAL python libs could help accomplish it?

Just a guess!
Tyler

On 2013-01-20, at 9:31 AM, Luca Mandolesi wrote:

This is a very huge problem that I have with my plugin too. This is a limit for sharing your own work and I spent some time without finding a solution for all.

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 9:47 AM, gene <[hidden email]> wrote:
The problem is difficult because the standard Python modules must be
installed in *site-package* and:
- in the Windows version, QGIS uses its own version of Python
- in the Linux or Mac OS X versions, QGIS uses the standard version,
preinstalled

-----
Tyler Mitchell, Publisher
Locate Press, [hidden email]
Open Source "geo" Books

Re: How to deliver an additional Python Library with own Plugin?

Michael Röcke
@all
Thanks for your answers. Thats what I was afraid of.
It means that the simplest way at the moment would be, that other people have to install the library by their own. To bad, because that makes it very unhandy for QGIS newbies.

@Tyler Mitchell-3
Unfortunately I'm a newbie as well and dont know all the libs yet.
I tried the Python Imaging Library (PIL) which comes already with the qgis distribution.
But most image libraries work with exif metadata.
What I need is a comment in a jpg file which is not exactly the same.

Cheers, Micha

Il 21/01/2013 09:52, Michael Röcke ha scritto:

> @all
> Thanks for your answers. Thats what I was afraid of.
> It means that the simplest way at the moment would be, that other people
> have to install the library by their own. To bad, because that makes it very
> unhandy for QGIS newbies.
>
> @Tyler Mitchell-3
> Unfortunately I'm a newbie as well and dont know all the libs yet.
> I tried the Python Imaging Library (PIL) which comes already with the qgis
> distribution.
> But most image libraries work with exif metadata.
> What I need is a comment in a jpg file which is not exactly the same.

have you seen this?
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/pkg-python/Python27 (thanks jef)
for windows this should fix your problem.

--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu