How to POST a WMS getMap request containing dynamic SLD?

How to POST a WMS getMap request containing dynamic SLD?

John Aguinaldo
Hi

Our challenge is that our application dynamically generates the SLD on
the client and embeds it in the WMS getMap GET request.  This works fine
for Firefox, but unfortunately, we are experiencing a URL length limit
in IE.
The WMS layer is served from Geoserver.  We do see that we can
successfully POST the same getMap request to Geoserver and receive back
the stylized map image.

The question now is how can we configure this particular map layer to
POST instead of GET?   Sample configuration/code snippets would be
great, but any help is appreciated...  or should we be approaching this
situation from a different angle?

Thanks,
John Aguinaldo

Re: How to POST a WMS getMap request containing dynamic SLD?

Olivier Terral
Hi John,

I've tried to post an SLD with a GetMap request , one year ago.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Geoserver but maybe the problem is
resolved , post an email to the geoserver-user list to know more about it.

I've choosen an other way to pass the SLD to server, use the SLD param
of a GetMap request with the URL of an online SLD document.

http://....../...?.....&...&....&SLD=http://yourcompany.com/data/sld/yoursld.sld

This solution is the best  to manipulate the SLD (create,update,delete)
and easier to add to a context document (WMC or OWC) .

regards

John Aguinaldo a écrit :

> Hi
>
> Our challenge is that our application dynamically generates the SLD on
> the client and embeds it in the WMS getMap GET request.  This works fine
> for Firefox, but unfortunately, we are experiencing a URL length limit
> in IE.
> The WMS layer is served from Geoserver.  We do see that we can
> successfully POST the same getMap request to Geoserver and receive back
> the stylized map image.
>
> The question now is how can we configure this particular map layer to
> POST instead of GET?   Sample configuration/code snippets would be
> great, but any help is appreciated...  or should we be approaching this
> situation from a different angle?
>
> Thanks,
> John Aguinaldo

Re: How to POST a WMS getMap request containing dynamic SLD?

Michael Adair
Not sure if this still works, but you can also add a method property to
your model object in the config doc:

<method>post</method>

Mike

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I've tried to post an SLD with a GetMap request , one year ago.
> Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Geoserver but maybe the problem is
> resolved , post an email to the geoserver-user list to know more about it.
>

> I've choosen an other way to pass the SLD to server, use the SLD param
> of a GetMap request with the URL of an online SLD document.
>
> http://....../...?.....&...&....&SLD=http://yourcompany.com/data/sld/yoursld.sld
>
> This solution is the best  to manipulate the SLD (create,update,delete)
> and easier to add to a context document (WMC or OWC) .
>

> regards
>

> John Aguinaldo a écrit :
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Our challenge is that our application dynamically generates the SLD on
>> the client and embeds it in the WMS getMap GET request.  This works fine
>> for Firefox, but unfortunately, we are experiencing a URL length limit
>> in IE.
>> The WMS layer is served from Geoserver.  We do see that we can
>> successfully POST the same getMap request to Geoserver and receive back
>> the stylized map image.
>>
>> The question now is how can we configure this particular map layer to
>> POST instead of GET?   Sample configuration/code snippets would be
>> great, but any help is appreciated...  or should we be approaching this
>> situation from a different angle?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John Aguinaldo

Re: How to POST a WMS getMap request containing dynamic SLD?

John Aguinaldo
Thanks Olivier

SLD POST requests do now appear to be working in Geoserver 1.5.3.
We were able to POST an SLD using the Geoserver "Demo Request" testbed request titled "WMS_getMap_SLD_BODY_LiteralMode.url".