How does one make sense out of the postgis garden tests results?

How does one make sense out of the postgis garden tests results?

sablok
So I am running garden tests for postgis to see if there are any tests that
are crashing the server instance, but I am totally bamboozled by the amount
of test cases that are run and can't seem to decipher the results as to if
it was positive or negative, I keep on getting errors like the following
though:

HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need
to add explicit type casts.
QUERY:  SELECT ST_Zmflag(foo1.the_geom) As result
                                                        FROM ((SELECT
ST_MakePolygon(ST_GeomFromText('LINESTRING(1 2, 1 2,1 2, 1 2)',4326)) As
the_geom
                        UNION ALL SELECT
ST_MakePolygon(ST_GeomFromText('LINESTRING(1 2, 1 2,1 2, 1 2, 3 2, 1
2)',4326)) As the_geom ) ) As foo1 LIMIT 3;
psql:/tmp/geo_torturetest.sql:1984091: ERROR:  current transaction is
aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
psql:/tmp/geo_torturetest.sql:1984102: ERROR:  function unlockrows(unknown)
does not exist
LINE 1: SELECT  UnlockRows('monkey') As output;

HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need
to add explicit type casts.
QUERY:  SELECT  UpdateGeometrySRID('test', 'test', 'test', 3395) As output;
psql:/tmp/geo_torturetest.sql:1984130: ERROR:  current transaction is
aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
psql:/tmp/geo_torturetest.sql:1984141: ERROR:  function
updategeometrysrid(unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, integer) does not
exist
LINE 1: SELECT  UpdateGeometrySRID('test', 'test', 'test', 'test', 3...

Can anyone suggest me how to make sense out of these tests or if there is
any other way I can test postgis to gain some confidence?

Re: How does one make sense out of the postgis garden tests results?

Sandro Santilli-4
On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 11:36:04AM -0700, sablok wrote:

> Can anyone suggest me how to make sense out of these tests or if there is
> any other way I can test postgis to gain some confidence?

Garden tests are still a mistery to me too, but I assume you'd just
check for backend crashers there.

Don't "make check" and "make installcheck" give you enough confidence ?

--strk;

Re: How does one make sense out of the postgis garden tests results?

sablok
Is there a way to execute all the tests that make check and make installcheck
executes against a non standard postgres installation. I mean I have all the
artifacts of Postgres in a directory like all pg/bin, pg/libs, pg/share and
I also have postgis and all its dependencies so's in the pg/lib now how do I
go about executing the test cases that postgis run against this
installation?

On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 12:54:58PM -0700, sablok wrote:
> Is there a way to execute all the tests that make check and make installcheck

The tests performed by "make check" and "make installcheck" are the
same, with the only difference being "make installcheck" installing
PostGIS as an extension while "make check" installing it via script.

The reason why there's a distinction is that EXTENSIONs can only be
installed from system directories.

> executes against a non standard postgres installation.

Both EXTENSION (installcheck) and non-extension (check) tests can
execute against non-standard postgres installation. Actual
installation paths are extracted from the pg_config that's found
at ./configure time.

> go about executing the test cases that postgis run against this
> installation?

Had you tried to just run those make targets ?
It's easier to help you fight monsters if you actually meet them :)

--strk;

Re: How does one make sense out of the postgis garden tests results?

sablok
Can I also write my own test cases and integrate them with the make check
target that postgis already has? I sure will change the path to pg_config
and try running the make check target

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 01:25:55PM -0700, sablok wrote:
> Can I also write my own test cases and integrate them with the make check
> target that postgis already has? I sure will change the path to pg_config
> and try running the make check target

Yes, you can add more tests. Just ask for help when you need it.

--strk;